Hoping that CL2 = mini SL2

19 hours ago, cirke said:

a TL Noctilux 23 would be perfect  and by the way a M 35 Noctilux too

Would very likely be HUGE and heavy ... and would require at least 2 years' design / development ... and enough potential sales to justify the design/development costs 

Leica probably have other priorities for their limited resources ... unless 'farmed out' to Panasonic or a third party 

dunk 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You should watch Peter Karbe Art of M and SL lenses presentation. And what he says about light flux.

Noctilux-TL 23mm should not be harder than a Summilux-SL 35 in a smaller package due to smaller coverage.

What count is light flux. We should convert focal and aperture for APS-C. So 23mm f/0.95 APS-C would have the same light flux as 35mm f/1.4 Full frame.

In the presentation, he talked about Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4 having the same light flux as 50mm f/2.1 full frame

• Like 1

I used to think IBIS was unnecessary for my use except with long lenses. Sure it’s needed for marketing competition. But the CL is one Leica I don’t mind handing to a new user and I just discovered that non camera users need IBIS even if I don’t. I handed mine with an 18mm to a non user and they added camera shake that wouldn’t have happened with IBIS. So yes a CL2 has to have IBIS.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I think that you’re right about that. 
There is also a huge stability difference between shooting through EVF or with rear screen like a tourist. 

“Like a tourist” how charmingly condescending and offensive. That statement says more about your attitude to others than the person using the rear screen.

• Like 1

There are plenty of shooting situations to prefer a screen over a viewfinder. Apart from the obvious ones - like having to shoot in a crowd, etc, there is also a compositional one: a screen allows one to place the framing within a complete scene, like the space around the framelines in the M, but on a larger scale. Try it - it is bound to improve your compositions. Compare it to a painters - they will frame making a square of their thumbs and index fingers and hold their hands at arm's length.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

If non-users and tourists vote for IBIS we stand a good chance to get it in the CL...12 i guess :D.

Non-users, tourists... and long lens users.  Preferably in the CL2. It is really the only feature that would make me upgrade.

19 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I think that you’re right about that. 
There is also a huge stability difference between shooting through EVF or with rear screen like a tourist. 

please check   Alan Schaller  to have a  better idea of what  a tourist can do with rear screen

Edited by cirke
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, jaapv said:

Non-users, tourists... and long lens users.  Preferably in the CL2. It is really the only feature that would make me upgrade.

IBIS would be very nice.  I'm holding out for a significantly resolution upgraded EVF and weather sealing.

3 hours ago, Rick in CO said:

IBIS would be very nice.  I'm holding out for a significantly resolution upgraded EVF and weather sealing.

I would imagine you’ll need to “settle” for an SL2. 

IBIS I possibly see happening in the CL series. Weather sealing? Doubtful, especially considering all the non-sealed native lenses in the system so many already own.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:33 PM, Le Chef said:

“Like a tourist” how charmingly condescending and offensive. That statement says more about your attitude to others than the person using the rear screen.

I am using the Q/Q2 half of the time like a tourist. It is not condescending. When visiting another place. We are all tourists. 
I was just using a term coined by french magazine : Chasseur d’images. 
Isn’t it refreshing to be a tourist in a lock down situation ?

Framing a 28mm with EVF or rear screen, yield to different results. 
I use both. 
Having a child now. I really wish for an articulated screen. Framing from above like with Hasselblad or Rolleiflex would be perfect. 
But I guess that I have to look elsewhere. Because articulated screen will break Leica’s perfect design. 

Edited by nicci78

22 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

I would imagine you’ll need to “settle” for an SL2. IBIS I possibly see happening in the CL series. Weather sealing? Doubtful, especially considering all the non-sealed native lenses in the system so many already own.

I think the CL finds its niche as a carry-about and/or travel camera - size matters.  The EVF from the Q2 would make the finder window slightly larger but it would still be quite compact.  There is some criticism of more expensive cameras with a 2.4 M-dot EVF as being not justified for the price.  As an M10 user I am looking for something lighter and more compact with AF and a moderate range zoom lens.  A weather-sealed body would be better than not.

Leica can make get inspiration from Fujifilm X-S10 for future CL2 :
- 26MP BSI APS-C   
- IBIS. 
- bigger battery (please use SL/Q2/SL2 one)   

Just add weathersealing over the X-S10 to justify higher cost of CL2  and voilà  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1