Hoping that CL2 = mini SL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to think that it was stupid to film vertically, but not anymore. 

I only shoot horizontal video with dedicated cameras. 
But mainly vertical videos with iPhones. Because it is awesome. And it is only meant to be share between smartphones and tablets anyway.
Therefore they will never be displayed on TV nor computer. 

No arbitrary rule for creativity. Do whatever suits you, do not judge. 

Don’t you think weird, that sometimes you need to take vertical photos, when the subject required it ?

But videos should be banned from such possibilities ? Losing lots of screen estate on the left and on the right. And not having enough vertically. Damn stupid. 
It was only dictate by means of viewing : cinemas, TV, computers.

But now freely rotating smartphones and tablets, fixed this issue. Shoot however you like  

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

With that money, dear Jono, I could buy myself a completely new set of Leica gear! ;)

You are getting too expensive, my friend! :D 

But seriously, I am curious to see how a CL2 would be, and the eventual changes Leica would do to this camera! I am sure you would discover that before me! ;)

Edited by Louis

Wether you need it or not is not that important. It is a case of commercial viability. 
Just like an SL2 without IBIS = instant failure. 
CL2 without IBIS = instant failure. 

In order to continue to sell APS-C cameras in the future. Leica needs to release a really substantial upgrade to CL. What can trigger more sales ? IBIS, weather sealing, more pixels, on sensor phase detect AF, etc... 

Camera market is shrinking fast. Every released has to be meaningful. If not ? Be prepare to face closing business.

2 hours ago, Louis said:

It is a small and light camera; so, IBIS is not important for me; but weather sealing would be nice.

+1. I'd definitely go for a CL2 with weather sealing and Leica's colour/highlight management from the SL2 and M10R. If it came in a sleeker package that would be nice. IBIS is not important for me in such a light, mobile package. Nor are more pixels. AF is good enough. I have the SL2 for pixels and IBIS: I wouldn't refuse either, as long as the camera didn't expand, but important? No. 

I think they could also incorporate a grip for a bigger battery, though, without risking the small/light/compact sense.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Yes, but those, who do own a SL2 and so don`t need more pixels in a CL2, should be a minority.

I think, that Leica needs more customers. Maybe even some of those, who own a expensive mobile telephone with 100MPix camera on board. 

Customers compare Leica with other Brands, maybe they would pay a little more to get a Leica. But than the Leica model has to be state of the art.

24 MPix are okay but in my eyes that would be a argument against buying a CL2.

2 hours ago, DirkS said:

Customers compare Leica with other Brands, maybe they would pay a little more to get a Leica. But than the Leica model has to be state of the art.

However, "state of the art" is an elusive concept, especially with Leica's emphasis on essentials. One person's must-have new innovation is another person's useless gimmick.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cirke said:

How many photographers have a Leica ?

yes Leica’s users are certainly ready for good lenses 

OK, then how many Leica users are prepared to pay high-end prices for crop lenses? 0.01%, 0.1% ? :D. Just kidding but not that much.