Hoping that CL2 = mini SL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica,
please make us a mini SL2 with IBIS & weather sealing. Still with APS-C sensor within the CL body. 

It can be a bit bigger. I don’t mind. Actually it is a bit too small. As I have to add a grip and a thumb rest, for better handling. 

Please find a way to use the same battery as SL-Q2-SL2. 

A better sensor will be awesome. Of course  

Thanks in advanced. 

PS : If you plan to release a CL2 without weather sealing and IBIS. Don’t even bother. It will be in the too late and too little category. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 9

I'd also like IBIS, but only if the body is no bigger. There are two aspects where I'd accept a bigger body:

- either design it with a grip bulge which holds a bigger battery (like the T/TL2, or SL) or design it with an add-on grip that adds extra battery capacity.

- Smoothing off the top plate to remove all those bumps..

I hope they use a sensor with the same colour filter filter array and highlight capabilities as the S3/M10R.

I've used my CL in light rain without problems, but I'd rather have the reassurance of weather sealing. A pity they didn't include that when the TL-mount lenses were launched - a weather-sealed body is no use if your lenses fail.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'd also like IBIS, but only if the body is no bigger. There are two aspects where I'd accept a bigger body:

- either design it with a grip bulge which holds a bigger battery (like the T/TL2, or SL) or design it with an add-on grip that adds extra battery capacity.

I hope they use a sensor with the same colour filter filter array and highlight capabilities as the S3/M10R.

I've used my CL in light rain without problems, but I'd rather have the reassurance of weather sealing. A pity they didn't include that when the TL-mount lenses were launched - a weather-sealed body is no use if your lenses fail.

I’m just going to assume that the sensor and processors get some sort of boost. It doesn’t have to be more MPx but there will need to be some quantifiable improvement for the marketing folk to push.

IBIS, yes, but only if the current body size is maintained (... but see below). With a small body there is always the option of adding grips, cases, etc to the body bigger, but with a larger body there is no option to make the body smaller. A larger body can be useful to place a thousand controls (as on my FF DSLR), but if the control set is kept clean & simple (as on the CL) then the CL provides plenty of real estate.

I’d quite like it if the body is similar enough that the same grip and batteries can be used. I know everyone always wants longer battery life, but I’ve never come close to needing to use a third battery in a day - even needing the second is unusual. Of course my next wish could change that ...

The next generation of EVF would be nice. The current EVF actually works better than its specs would suggest, but I suspect the EVFs from the Q2 or the SL2 would be a step up. I know, power drain ...

And if the back screen could be flipped and hidden from view then 🥳 I don’t like having the rear screen always on display and vulnerable. It’s not like I use the rear screen for anything other than occasional menu diving. Whether it uses a mechanism like that on some of the Olympus bodies (e.g., Pen-F) or like that on the Sony A-mount bodies (e.g., A99ii) or some other mechanism, I’ll cope. This possibly means a tiny increase in depth, but I’d wear that.

A bigger CL? Thanks no thanks. I have compact full frame cameras already. I'd rather buy a smaller body a la film CL personally. Now the current CL has the same size as my Fuji X-E2 and i feel comfortable with it but i need a thumb rest to be honest. Same for digital Ms though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a screen protector on and even if the camera is silvering a bit at the edges through intensive use over the last years, there is nothing vulnerable about the LCD screen - it is pristine - albeit dusty ;) .

As for thumb rest, I am very happy with the Thumbie, even if the paint does come off.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Sigma does weather-sealed lenses.

Me too - and Leica needs to do something about that bad design handgrip. The 100-400 uses up batteries, that is not so bad and understandable with a powerful AF motor and O.I.S., battery spares are small and light, but the need to screw that grip on and off is a bl***y nuisance. Why no battery grip??

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I have a screen protector on and even if the camera is silvering a bit at the edges through intensive use over the last years, there is nothing vulnerable about the LCD screen - it is pristine.

As for thumb rest, I am very happy with the Thumbie, even if the paint does come off.

I like to see a camera that shows use. 😎

It’s not normal wear and tear I worry about; it’s unexpected impacts that worry me. I’ve even had a screen damaged by a Peak Design anchor. 😱

And yes, the Leica grip is very tidy but the access is awkward - form wins over function.

When I say bigger. I was just thinking about thicker body with the screen standing out à la M10 or SL2.

SL2 is a interesting case. Overall the body is the same as the SL. But to fit IBIS mechanism, Leica choose to let the screen stuck out of the body. Just like M bodies. No more flushed screen. 

Leica could do the same with CL2 : little bit thicker, thanks to the sticking out screen. 

I would be okay with a slightly larger body - I am in the camp which needed to add the grip in order to right-size the set up.  And removing the grip to access battery and card is really pretty annoying.  Why not a body shape which includes the grip, like the SL series but smaller and lighter, obviously.

Okay without IBIS if it can be provided in the long lenses where it is really needed.

Actually IBIS is only really useful for wide angle and standard lenses. 
Long lenses will be better served with OIS (in lens) in conjunction with IBIS.

IBIS is also really useful for M and R lenses.

If CL2 got IBIS, it will be an instant buy. Otherwise I will just sell my CL and look elsewhere. I already gave up all TL lenses. I am only using M and R lenses now. So jumping ship is not difficult. 

CL2:  the EVF of the Q2 or SL2, weather sealing, definitely.  IBIS even if it makes the body slightly larger, but what if they have to use the original bodies?  I would be fine with the original 24Mp sensor and body style - I usually get a leather case with built-in grip even with the card & battery removal inconvenience.

5 hours ago, Joachim_I said:

I am not in a hurry to update to the next generation. The current model serves me pretty well.

Didn't the CL come out in 2017?  It's only three  years old!  I don't subscribe to the 'cell-phone' annual updates - it's just marketing to get consumers to keep spending more money.

I'm satisfied with the CL and it's versatility and compact size.  Plus, I can use M-lenses!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, cj3209 said:

Didn't the CL come out in 2017?  It's only three  years old!  I don't subscribe to the 'cell-phone' annual updates - it's just marketing to get consumers to keep spending more money.

I'm satisfied with the CL and it's versatility and compact size.  Plus, I can use M-lenses!

You're right about the CL's age - but it's the oldest body in the line-up, so what is Leica going to do for the next year and half?

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Because of L-mount lenses high energy consumption. CL2 will need a beefier battery.
SL/Q2/SL2 would be perfect. If it can fit inside Q2 body. It should be also possible in a slightly bigger CL2. 

I don't know; I'm pretty good with the small compact size of the CL.  Any larger (incorporating OIS, bigger battery, etc.) and I might as well just get an SL or SL2.

I think perhaps Leica might give us some IS lenses which would make more sense than adding OIS to the body.  Plus a new Leica case that allows easy access to the battery/SD card and has a built-in arca plate...wait, it's already available in the Lim's Case for the CL.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cj3209 said:

Plus a new Leica case that allows easy access to the battery/SD card and has a built-in arca plate...wait, it's already available in the Lim's Case for the CL.

+1

the Lim’s case works well. 

Edited by ynp
  • Thanks 1