Best Leica 50mm lens for portraits?

Johnclare369

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Evening all.

I think I need to buy a replacement 50mm lens for my M10. I use it for street and posed portraits, mainly. I was looking at the Summilux f1.4 ASPH, but having seen some reviews, the Summicron-M f2 seems a good option and less of a hit on the bank balance. 

All comments appreciated.

Summilux all day for me for street and posed portraits. Some reasons for this opinion:

1. Because of the shallow DOF wide open it helps render faces smoother at 1.4 when desired
2. You can be created with the OOF area at 1.4 with backdrops and with colorful backgrounds
3. Better at f2 and on than the standard 50 cron. It is APO and aspheric glass types which renders colors better and has less aberrations
4. I like the hood and size of the 50 Lux better
5. I like the focusing tab better than not having one

The 50 Lux is one of the best Leica lenses ever made in my view. I can't imagine how good a new version would/could be if they ever attempt to modernize it.

• Like 6

I like the old Elmars, both f:3.5 and 2.8. 

Wide open they are delicate enough for portraits. When closed down to 5.6 they are as sharp as anyone can want - and just wonderful for street and candids.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dkmoore said:

Summilux all day for me for street and posed portraits. Some reasons for this opinion:

1. Because of the shallow DOF wide open it helps render faces smoother at 1.4 when desired
2. You can be created with the OOF area at 1.4 with backdrops and with colorful backgrounds
3. Better at f2 and on than the standard 50 cron. It is APO and aspheric glass types which renders colors better and has less aberrations
4. I like the hood and size of the 50 Lux better
5. I like the focusing tab better than not having one

The 50 Lux is one of the best Leica lenses ever made in my view. I can't imagine how good a new version would/could be if they ever attempt to modernize it.

Karbe describes how difficult it was to bring the current 50 Summilux ASPH to fruition...

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/leica-lens-saga-interview-peter-karbe

Jeff

• Like 1

Johnclare369,   I totally agree with Dkmoore's post #2.  He hit all the salient and best points concerning the 50 Lux.  For your intended use of the 50mm lens, you can't go wrong with the recommendation of post #2.  Last, based on decades of Leica M experience, I found one shouldn't deprive oneself of the lenses that will make your photography both more creative and better.  In the case of the 50 Lux, the difference in price is worth the money.   You can also find 50 Lux demos with Leica warranties at www.Popflash.com .  Hope this helps. r/ Mark

PS...Check out the excellent Street Silhouettes articles that compares the different Leica 50mm lenses..it might help you decide.  

Try:  https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2018/8/6/leica-50mm-noctilux-summilux-summicron-all-versions-plus-summarit-f15 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What kind of portrait? Sharp or soft? Do you want to show the skin imperfections of your models? The Summilux 50/1.4 asph will exhibit them in all their beauty or ugliness. Same for the Summicron 50/2 apo. The Summicron 50/2 non apo is more forgiving at f/2 but my favorites there are the Sonnar 50/1.5 and Summilux 50/1.4 v3. Preferably the latter on rangefinders. Matter of tastes as usual.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

J  Last, based on decades of Leica M experience, I found one shouldn't deprive oneself of the lenses that will make your photography both more creative and better.  In the case of the 50 Lux, the difference in price is worth the money.  

Great point! 

In my viewpoint, as I stated so often, it's "learning to know behavior of lenses" that is the most important.

Take one lens, then use it only for a while, so on ...

Summilux-M 50mm asph. may not be the first lens to "try out".

I'd suggest the non asph. Summilux-M variety to begin with 😉,

then you may see if it's good for the job.

For different reasons, I use three of them, after selling the newer (better ?) asph. version.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

as seen here, when close down a bit, no "ninja stars" in hight light spots as the asph. gives.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Johnclare369 said:

Many thanks everyone for the really helpful comments, in particular Jeff with your first reply with clear reasons why. Loved the street silhouettes too. As lct says, it's a matter of taste:-)

Have a great day!

JC

did you make a decision? Ultimately you can't go wrong but I am still curious whichever way you go!

Having owned and used both the 50/1.4 Summilux asph and the 50/1.4 Summilux pre-asph for portraits I would agree with LCT that the pre-asph is my recommendation.  The asph Summilux is a superb lens but quite 'harsh' for portraits.  

Ladies (and your bank manager) will thank you for choosing the pre-asph because of its smooth rendering that doesn't thrust every pock-mark, freckle, mole, upper lip hair, and skin pore at the viewer.  

On the other hand, if your thing is portraits of stubbled, hairy, hard-eyed rodeo riders with chiseled features then the Summilux asph would be the tool to use.

As a side note I would recommend the 75/1.4 Summilux or 80/1.4 Summilux-R ahead of both owing to the short telephoto focal length.

Pete.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, farnz said:

On the other hand, if your thing is portraits of stubbled, hairy, hard-eyed rodeo riders with chiseled features then the Summilux asph would be the tool to use.

As a side note I would recommend the 75/1.4 Summilux or 80/1.4 Summilux-R ahead of both owing to the short telephoto focal length.

Pete.

Nicely put, farnz! Actually I do have a project in mind which will involved photographing old men! I also have the 90mm apo-summicron M, and the 18mm Super Elmar, as well as the Leica Q2 which I use as a 28mm, so I'm well covered for focal lengths.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, farnz said:

Having owned and used both the 50/1.4 Summilux asph and the 50/1.4 Summilux pre-asph for portraits I would agree with LCT that the pre-asph is my recommendation.  The asph Summilux is a superb lens but quite 'harsh' for portraits.  

Ladies (and your bank manager) will thank you for choosing the pre-asph because of its smooth rendering that doesn't thrust every pock-mark, freckle, mole, upper lip hair, and skin pore at the viewer.  

Pete.

Farnz can you post a couple of images from these lenses for comparison? You've got me thinking again!

Agree with all the comments here.  My go to 50mm has always been the Summicron APO but I bought a retro Summilux a couple of months ago and it's better for most portraits.  Here is an example of Eddy On A Log taken with the M10-D at f1.4.  Better viewed in Lightbox, it almost has a 3D quality.  You really can't go wrong with this lens.

• Like 3

Hi Farnz and others. I followed the link above:

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2018/8/6/leica-50mm-noctilux-summilux-summicron-all-versions-plus-summarit-f15 

And found images for comparison between the two lenses under discussion. Not sure I can see the freckles, moles etc in the asph lens? That may be just me!

• Like 1

JohnClare369,  I suggest you stick with the lens you purchased.  It is like second guessing the test question answer and changing it.  The latest version of the 50 Lux is superb for portraits.  Remember everyone has their own tastes and expectations.  Most important, the best photographs are those with Content that makes the viewer; Stop, Look, Think and if possible Feel something about that moment in time.  Content is what separates a mere photo from that of a most excellent photograph.  r/ Mark

• Like 1