28 Summicron vs 28 Elmarit...

guy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't speak for what might be worth the price for someone else, but the 35 summicron is the sharpest lens ( particularly wide open ) I have ever had on any camera, and I am doing this this for 40 years, starting with Leica M2, and orig. Nikon F and up through my Current Leica M8, and Nikon D2x, and D300 and dozens of outstanding lenses.

Regards ... Harold

• 2 months later...

"Anyone have any views on whether the jump from f2.8 to f2.0 is worth a thousand pounds?"

Thinking in terms of cars ........ the last few horsepower, costs a lot more than the first few.

Kodachrome was $7 a roll during the depression.

It's only money.

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I originally bought the Elmarit when I got my M8 (dealer recommendation) but once I was happy using RF again I part-exed (PX) it (is that good grammar) for the 'cron and have been using it with my M8 since. My wife (God bless her) who is my fiercest critic feels the results from the 'cron are excellent and exhibit a more agreeable bokeh than the images taken with the Elmarit, who am I to disagree! I took delivery of my M8.2 on 01/10/08 and got an excellent PX from my Leica dealer - Harrison Cameras in Sheffield - it still left a hefty dent in my bank balance, but you only live once (unless you are James Bond) and despite other comments on this forum it's a fabulous piece of kit. I will probably never use the snapshot feature but so what I just love it!!

I originally bought the Elmarit when I got my M8 (dealer recommendation) but once I was happy using RF again I part-exed (PX) it (is that good grammar) for the 'cron and have been using it with my M8 since. My wife (God bless her) who is my fiercest critic feels the results from the 'cron are excellent and exhibit a more agreeable bokeh than the images taken with the Elmarit, who am I to disagree! I took delivery of my M8.2 on 01/10/08 and got an excellent PX from my Leica dealer - Harrison Cameras in Sheffield - it still left a hefty dent in my bank balance, but you only live once (unless you are James Bond) and despite other comments on this forum it's a fabulous piece of kit. I will probably never use the snapshot feature but so what I just love it!!

Many thanks for your advice and I enjoyed your humor as well! Enjoy your new M8!

The Summicron is a cracking lens. I borrowed one for a few frames when I met up with a friend in Perpignan. I was very impressed with the lens even though I only shot a few frames with it.Tarek has used it on an M8 in the Middle East, so I doubt that it's 'too' contrasty. This is full frame - f2 from memory.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...
And here is one (beach) i made earlier with my elmarit :eek::) ....

for me size matters as it is my primary travel lens so needs to fit nicely into a rucksack.

The same but different (Restaurant) was taken on 50mm lux wide open.

Would be really interesting if someone could post two identical shots taken with a cron and elmarit :confused:

I missed these before submitting because not signed in the pics were closed to me. Very nice!

Cheers!

David

Bought my Elmarit 28 (pre-ASPH) ver 4 for about 1K (USD), in mint condition.

Wonderful lens on the M8. Nice sharpness and good DOF even at 2.8.

Prefer it more than my lux 35 which was the staple on my M7. A pretty hefty lens compared to the ASPH version, but weight is not that big of a consideration for me.

I chose the Summicron because it was smaller than the 28 Elmarit (the even smaller Elmarit Asph had not yet been introduced) and I "bit" when I found a new-old-stock one for the old price. Still the most expensive lens I'd ever bought, but it's been marvelous: Iove the look. It seems to me the perfect one-lens carry around choice for the M8.

And it's just as delightful with my old CLE, on which the 28mm framelines are nicely isolated and easy to see.

I had ordered the 28 Elmarit ASPH, and it even arrived and I went down to pick it up. However, in the last minute, I had a thought and checked the MTF/distortion graphs, and discovered that the 28 Cron holds performance to the edges much better than the ASPH (on full-frame, of course), and then I decided not to get the 28 Elmarit, but to get the Cron. I am not sure the difference would be visible on film, but on a FF digital M it almost certainly would be, which was my final reason for getting the Cron.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone! Ed here, I'm new to the forum, new to M8, and have been trying to figure out for long enough what to go for between the 28mm asph Elmarit and Cron!There currently is a great deal for a second hand Cron where I live (for the price of a new Elmarit), so I should really make a decision soon!

To sum up what I have read so far in the thread, most people seem to agree that the Elmarit has a more marked contrast, a deeper DOF (which may be the result of its being exteremely sharp??), is smaller in size, less heavy and, well, of course... is an F2.8 instead of F2!

What I would also be interested in knowing something more about is the "personality" of the two lenses: somebody says that the Elmarit does not have that "the magic of older lenses" that the Cron has; somebody says that it looks "very digital", "modern" and even "Japanese"! Can you say something more about this? Or possibly load some photos to compare?

I should add that I normally like strong contrast, and that the DOF of the Elmarit, which I guess would make focus inaccurancies a little more forgivable, together with its size and weight make this lens very appetible to me. On the other side though, I am more into a more classic and "hand-made" look for my photographs... The F stop issue, even if the extra stop of the Cron would surely be more than appreciated for greater versatility, is of secondary importance for me.

Ed

Ed, if you like the more classic look and don't need the Summicron's speed, then you might consider a used f/2.8 pre-ASPH Elmarit 28mm. It's a bit larger than the Summicron, but would be an economical choice too.

I chose the Summicron as the smallest fast 28, but now there's also a new compact f/2 28mm entrant from Voigtlander. Info on the CameraQuest website.

For interesting lens reviews, take a look at ReidReviews http://www.reidreviews.com/ which is a subscription website and very useful when shopping lenses!

I recently sold my 28 Elmarit ASPH and just picked up the 28 cron. As for size, I think the cron' with a 3rd party hood is not too much bigger than the elmarit. I like the size of the cron' for focusing too.

My strongest turn-off with the elmarit was the skin tones and contrasty look. Sharpness and resolution are superb, but when shooting it along my 50 pre lux and 90 elmarit, I liked the look I was getting with the Elmarit the least. This was a problem since the 28 is my normal lens.

So far with the cron, I can say that the skin tones and drawing looks to be a fine balance between the vintage "look"(pre ASPH) and the modern aspherical design. Sharp but smooth. I am very pleased.

So complain of the large hood but it hasn't bothered me so far, especially with the cut out vent.

Greetings -

I have the 28 Cron and love it - produces the classic Leica look with that 3D like image - great lens for a walk around lens. I just received the hood for the 35 lux to use on the 28 Cron - does the trick and is much less bulky than the standard 28 Cron hood - makes a very big difference -

Vic

Hi everyone, and thanks for the many answers. Steve, thank you for the link, found your review and samples of the Elmarit very useful - and beautiful as well. I poarticularly like how it renders in black and white.

I have now seen quite many photos taken with an Elmarit over the internet, and think I am quite familiar with its style. However I cannot find many of the Summicron: I was wondering if anybody could also point out some links where I can find some?

There is guy who wrote a review of the Summicron somewhere on the ineternet (will post the link as soon as I find it again!), and he says that he bought the Summicron after having sold the Elmarit, and then had to sell the Summicron again and go back to the Elmarit, because he found it very difficult when focusing. He reckons that, while the Elmarit forgives many focus unaccurancies, you need to be very precise with the Summicron, and this made it extremely difficult for him in street photography. Any feedback on this?

Ed