swordmanc

Got my second M-A and it's a little different

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Axelwik said:

Nothing is immune, but comparing a brand new camera that costs upwards of $5K to something that's 40, 50, or 60 years old doesn't bode well for the new camera. These cameras have to be cleaned and serviced once every several years, but a new one shouldn't have any issues.

I completely agree, my only point was that if you want to buy a camera that is free of issues then buying a 40, 50, 60 year old model may not be the best way to go.  At least the new camera will have a warranty that will cover the cost of a repair.  But of course the repair of a brand new camera shouldn't be necessary.  

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

I completely agree, my only point was that if you want to buy a camera that is free of issues then buying a 40, 50, 60 year old model may not be the best way to go.  At least the new camera will have a warranty that will cover the cost of a repair.  But of course the repair of a brand new camera shouldn't be necessary.  

On the other hand the price of an older camera plus service and any repairs needed will be much less money than a new one, and will likely operate a little smoother. A well broken in Leica that gets regular service is a wonderful thing. 

The two camera bodies I already have, the M6 (0.72) since year 2016, and the M4 Anniversary 50, bought 2019 will suffice for now. The third one,  a M4-P 1913-1983 Anniversary model (which I now am about to return), I’ll have to do without.

Both my other Leica bodies I have bought over the counter in a dealer’s shop, and was then able to physically inspect the item before deciding to buy or not.

Anyway, it has been an useful experience to encounter these problems on an eBay purchase - and  as a Leica M ”rookie” since 2016, I am learning every day and I also enjoy exchanging info and thoughts on this Leica community!

/BN