Maserati 250F Formula 1 car

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Race winning ex-Juan Manuel Fangio Race car.

Brings tears to my eyes when I compare that to today's crop of F1 'cars,............. and the children that steer them around the sterile amusement parks they're using nowadays.

M240-P / 35mm Summilux FLE

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I am not sure of the serial number of the car above, although I have reason to believe it may be #2527, which, according to my archives was / is not a race winner, but was driven by Fangio in several races and for practice,.........but then, the gent who told me it was an ex-Fangio race winner was a hired hand  dusting the paint & picking grass out of the tire treads, not the owner, who, I can only hope, knows more about the car's actual provenance.

I do however know that the serial number of the car below is #2525, because a good friend of mine bought it after painstaking research. Built new in the spring of '56, and raced one time only, by Stirling Moss - who drove it to victory in the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in '56. Notably, it is the first of the 250 Fs to feature the canted engine for reduced frontal arera and the offset transmission to allow the driver to sit slightly lower in the car, affecting both, frontal area and balance. Also, this car is probably the most original 250 F still used in vintage racing.

As an amusing and somewhat disturbing footnote, the SCCA ( the Sports Car Club of America ) keeps a registry of member cars and specs, and even though it is a well documented and accepted fact that precisely 26 250 Fs were produced, the SCCA registry shows more than 30 250 Fs claiming to be the real thing on their books..........go figure, and definitely practice caveat emptor and do your due diligence at any auction that features one of these.

SL / 24-90 V.E.

JZG

• Like 2

...................and a 3/4 rear view of what surely has to be one of the great cars of the early Formula 1 era.

JZG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 8:27 PM, John Z. Goriup said:

Also, this car is probably the most original 250 F still used in vintage racing.

You have got to be kidding, it looks nothing like #2525. A simple Google search show how #2525 looks now, and how it matches the same car back in period, the only explanation that it now looks like this would be that it has undergone an horrific recent restoration.