M10-R SHIPPING?

m410

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ivor at Red Dot Cameras here in London rang this morning to say one black and one chrome M10R just arrived. I was second on the waiting list and was delighted to receive the black model.  A few minutes ago,  Elaine emailed to say that there already is a firmware update to correct a bug.  I’ll install it this afternoon and start using this wonderful new beast.   The main value of the ‘R’ for me will be the improvement in retaining highlight detail —as Jono has indicated—  as well as the increased flexibility with respect to cropping.  

(As a nerd and former philatelist, it did cross my mind for a moment that I could try to concoct some sort of first day cover to commemorate this launch day but I’ve managed to repress this doofus thought.)

I literally just placed my order with Camera Wholesalers and looks like they just got one in today and will have it shipped for me. Looks like whoever places an order next will be #1 in line per their website. I was number one and got confirmed so I would say it’s pretty accurate. 

I claimed a black M10-R from Leica NJ's online store.  My dealer has people in line behind me (and ahead of me) so this will save several weeks to a month for me.  But Leica must be stirring up trouble for itself within the family.  Anyway mine is listed as "available to ship".  When I get an actual tracking number I will believe it.

Scott

This has been the pattern for the last few releases. They dribble out to the boutiques but the LeicaUSA online store seems to have the big supply. My local camera shop used to be able to get me new releases but they say Leica has shifted toward holding its stock. Makes sense financially since the get the highest margins. I get charged no sales tax

8 hours ago, jjvornov said:

Scott

This has been the pattern for the last few releases. They dribble out to the boutiques but the LeicaUSA online store seems to have the big supply. My local camera shop used to be able to get me new releases but they say Leica has shifted toward holding its stock. Makes sense financially since the get the highest margins. I get charged no sales tax

It seems a little short-sighted to me.  I have a long-standing relationship with a store which is not a Leica Store or a Leica Boutique,.  They remain Leica-freindly because of relationships with long-term Leica USA employees and their ability to deliver new or rare stuff to most customers, but Leica USA seems to be steadily undermining this loyalty. Since Leica sells into a demographic  which is older but can still be cost-sensitive, I would have expected them to ration direct sales back until they have stock in place at all of their stores or can at least guarantee that any loyal store can supply a camera within a day of promising one to a customer.  It is an interesting optimization problem.  One part is just quantitative -- maximizing ROCA (return on controlled assets) -- but the other is building a future customer base and distribution network.  Watching Apple manage their tightly branded stores plus many channels for direct sales is probably the closest example.  But on a much larger scale than Leica can aspire to.

Anyway, this is all above my pay grade.  I just want to get my hands on a camera.

My M10-R launched with UPS on Monday evening from a location that sounds suspiciously like right next to Newark airport.  Allentown (the HQ of Leica USA) is well up at the leafy northern extreme of New Jersey.  So it sounds as if these are hot off the inbound airlift.

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

My M10-R launched with UPS on Monday evening from a location that sounds suspiciously like right next to Newark airport.  Allentown (the HQ of Leica USA) is well up at the leafy northern extreme of New Jersey.  So it sounds as if these are hot off the inbound airlift.

Thanks for the update, Scott.

My order (also placed Friday morning) is still stuck in "manual verification required" status, though my credit card has been charged. It seems that I could not get a hold of anyone at Leica e-commerce. Voicemails and email messages got no replies. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Apparently some black models have rolled through my local camera store, but although I am #1 on the list for silver/chrome models, these have not yet made an appearance. Hoping it will be soon! Concerned that Leica will take all of August off like they usually do, then the virus will come back soon after their re-opening and it'll be done for months. 

Edited by intermediatic

6 hours ago, EddieCheddar said:

Hello Scott, Rent, and All.

FYI, I ordered my M10-R online at the Leica Store USA on Friday, July 24th, and it was delivered this morning (Tuesday), July 28th.
I'm in California.

Exactly same as I, from Leica Store USA on July 24, Chrome model, arrived this morning in Central Coast California. Took a few test shots, super excited.   I've enjoyed having high resolution with my Nikon D850, but the idea of having similar in a compact body that is more enjoyable (to me) to use will be terrific for years to come.

On 7/25/2020 at 12:08 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

It seems a little short-sighted to me.  I have a long-standing relationship with a store which is not a Leica Store or a Leica Boutique,.  They remain Leica-freindly because of relationships with long-term Leica USA employees and their ability to deliver new or rare stuff to most customers, but Leica USA seems to be steadily undermining this loyalty. Since Leica sells into a demographic  which is older but can still be cost-sensitive, I would have expected them to ration direct sales back until they have stock in place at all of their stores or can at least guarantee that any loyal store can supply a camera within a day of promising one to a customer.  It is an interesting optimization problem.  One part is just quantitative -- maximizing ROCA (return on controlled assets) -- but the other is building a future customer base and distribution network.  Watching Apple manage their tightly branded stores plus many channels for direct sales is probably the closest example.  But on a much larger scale than Leica can aspire to.

Anyway, this is all above my pay grade.  I just want to get my hands on a camera.

I was also on a list with a dealer, but decided to buy from Leica USA because the online store had one in stock and there was no telling where I stood on the dealer's list. 

What might seem short-sighted to us might be long-sighted to Leica. With more and more sales going online (my dealer is in another state), why not sell direct? 

Few dealers will even tell you where you stand on their lists, which makes the opportunistic sellers (Leica online, B&H) even more attractive.  My usual dealer has been able to get me a camera within a week or two of announcement when I have been at least in the first 3-4, they are open about where I stand.  But this time I was further back, and the deliveries seem to  be coming slower.