Live: Unveiling of the next M10 family member!

LUF Admin

7 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

All of which, 97% of the time, gets squashed back down to a 2048 px long edge rendition on an HD screen which... surprise! ... often looks like a chaotic crap pile. While there are definitely advantages to more data, there are disadvantages and dangers as well. Crush the sun down to the size of a peanut and lookout blackhole event horizon. Which sucks... literally... at least gravitationally speaking.  

Ha! well such is the times we live in. Such low standards are acceptable in this day and age. This does not concern me, if it did I would just be happy with my iPhone but I am not. I look back at the history of photography and everything I fell in love with the mediums, the very reason I take pictures, and high qualities are a baton that I feel is necessary to pick up and pass on. I am not interested in the mediocre. Anyone can do it. Being a photographer is something else to me. The very act, ritual and procedure of taking high qualities is something I holds important to this. Photography and the surviving of this great art I think is maintained in the pursuit of excellence, in making images better, rather than the oceans and multitudes of pictures where everything blends in. Photography, when pursued in 100% of trying to elevated and attain an art form is a wonderful and precious thing.

• Like 1

As for the quality of the presentation, I found it refreshing.  It reminded me a bit of a Monty Python sketch, accents and all. Hopefully next time we can get some slides...

No 1. The Larch...

That said heaven help us if all of a sudden they start focusing more on marketing than engineering.  Would we really prefer a better con job over an inferior camera?  As long as the quality of preso isn't indicative of the quality of the product, I actually find this sort of chat rather enjoyable... human even.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I thought this far superior. I actually learned things there. Question of sensor is really interesting

and this is interesting, too, though elsewhere Jono suspects this reviewer had an earlier version that has since been tweaked:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2020/07/16/the-true-successor-to-the-leica-m9-leica-m10r-review/

4 minutes ago, Dr No said:

Ha! well such is the times we live in. Such low standards are acceptable in this day and age. This does not concern me, if it did I would just be happy with my iPhone but I am not. I look back at the history of photography and everything I fell in love with the mediums, the very reason I take pictures, and high qualities are a baton that I feel is necessary to pick up and pass on. I am not interested in the mediocre. Anyone can do it. Being a photographer is something else to me. The very act, ritual and procedure of taking high qualities is something I holds important to this. Photography and the surviving of this great art I think is maintained in the pursuit of excellence, in making images better, rather than the oceans and multitudes of pictures where everything blends in. Photography, when pursued in 100% of trying to elevated and attain an art form is a wonderful and precious thing.

No Dr. Yes err Yes Dr. No... ah... nevermind. 

Yeah, I probably take this whole photography thing too seriously as well. Fortunately for my back, not so seriously that I schlep around an 8x10 View camera. But seriously enough that I'm now confirmed to be the first on my block to get an M10-R next week.  Time will tell whether the expenditure was a worth while one.  If nothing else I'll be able to needle my fellow SL2 owners about using M optics on something other than an M. That should at least bring some of the enjoyment back into photography. 😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I thought we dispensed with the bragging about which automobiles we own in the other thread. 🤣

38 minutes ago,  Adrian Lord said: 

I'll stick with my M3. 

I thought we dispensed with the bragging about which automobiles we own in the other thread. 🤣

Yep, I'm going to keep my typ1.

4 hours ago, Ikos said:

I seriously wonder if I will ever buy a Leica again after this embarrassing cabaret. What have they been smoking before?

I liked that Leica did not spend any money for this COVID-19 era presentation. I believe  they spent the money on the camera Developpement instead of show off. 

I handled the R today in Moscow and placed the firm order. It’s time to upgrade my M9u. 

• Like 2

Ever since the X-Vario I think we've all known that Leica just don't do marketing very well, but manage to be a successful, profitable company by making some of the best equipment out there for practical photography. This is the opposite of many of its competitors: slick marketing, click bait specs (viz. lots of pixels😁) and loss-making. I know which I'd rather have.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

No Dr. Yes err Yes Dr. No... ah... nevermind. 

Yeah, I probably take this whole photography thing too seriously as well. Fortunately for my back, not so seriously that I schlep around an 8x10 View camera. But seriously enough that I'm now confirmed to be the first on my block to get an M10-R next week.  Time will tell whether the expenditure was a worth while one.  If nothing else I'll be able to needle my fellow SL2 owners about using M optics on something other than an M. That should at least bring some of the enjoyment back into photography. 😀 

I like to be a part of something that is bigger than me—the legend of photography. I like to have a quest and something that takes me out, and up, and keeps me wanting to achieve and get excited. If that's taking it to seriously, then I prefer it to what the other option is 😁 Enjoy the new camera!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kegon said:

Wasn‘t it Abraham Lincoln who said: „To fail to prepare, is preparing to fail“? Made a very improvised impression on me.

I prefer the expression used in the British Army .

Proper prior planing, prevents piss poor performance. The 7 p principle.

It was like no other product launch I've seen and for all its faults ultimately it came across as genuine, human, casual, and friendly.

Was it effective?  Well many people are talking about it so I suspect it was in a subliminal way.

I predict that it will spawn a new genre of product launches from advertising companies that try to mimic the genuine and pleasantly familiar tone to get away from the plethora of over-produced, over-slick presentations that leave a lingering taste of 'used car salesman' in the mouth (figuratively speaking).

Pete.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Best presentation for a new techy-type product I have ever seen. Utter comedic genius. Christoph Waltz was a master stroke. This will be used in degree-level marketing courses for years to come. It is a wonderful German interpretation of the English hapless amateurism, the type that saw Lotus cars win Formula 1 championships while being built in ramshackle barns and sheds in Norfolk fields. Right down to cravats and ill-fitting blazers. 

You gotta love Leica and these guys for this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Guest Nowhereman
6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Ever since the X-Vario I think we've all known that Leica just don't do marketing very well, but manage to be a successful, profitable company by making some of the best equipment out there for practical photography. This is the opposite of many of its competitors: slick marketing, click bait specs (viz. lots of pixels😁) and loss-making. I know which I'd rather have.

Sure, but there's no benefit from the drivel of this video, even the inarticulate statement of Leica's history. 
Frog Leaping photobook

This presentation will from now on be material for every PR education. Probably better if the Chairman of the Supervisory Board stays in the background next time.

Big fan of Col. Hans Landau.