Live: Unveiling of the next M10 family member!

LUF Admin

I just saw the Youtube presentation 😱 

At the end, I keep the camera specs that is the only thing that matters. But if I may say, an unexpected IGTV for example, with no previous announcement, it would have been forgivable. But like this, with all this big announcement, it's very disappointing. It's a niche brand, and it still will be.The unveiling video doesn't change how good I feel to shoot my Leica, period. But things can have been done much better.

36 minutes ago, Dr No said:

I have a 4K monitor and enjoy looking at high resolution pictures. They look MUCH better and have a lot more flexible use. M is favourite system and want high resolution because it looks so much better. This idea of acceptable is mediocre.

A 4k monitor has approximately 8mp, but that‘s at 16 x 9. Given that an M has a ratio of 3x2 that’ll use around 6mp of the display (I can’t be bothered to do the maths correctly).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stunsworth said:

I wanted a full frame sensor.

I didn’t want to use the IR cut filters.

It developed a fault that would have cost almost as much as the camera was worth to repair.

I wanted to use the GPS capability of the M240 - there are apps and programs that you can use to embed the GPS coordinates in a DNG file, but they’re a bit of a kludge, and I’d found them unreliable.

When I replaced it I’d used the camera for around 10 years, so I’m not someone who lusts after the ‘newest and greatest’ - I bought my M240 used.

Wonderful. Then it sounds like you're happy and don't need to keep upgrading. But I want more resolutions like many other people so constraining future cameras that you have no intention on buying because you don't think people need it is strange. I want more resolutions, it is much better and it really is simple. now that Leica offers something more everyone happy. perhaps I'm not understandings but I'm not sure why this is an issue for you?

Perhaps its because I have been using Leica since 1964 that I feel  warmth toward the company. Though I am content with my M10 I was interested in the "launch" - the birth of the new baby, as was said.  It was not a slick, hyped, snazzy presentation and that, for me, was what made it enjoyable. The two men, the owner and his top man were excited and clearly enjoying the unveiling of the M10R. It was warm and friendly and when Dr. Kaufmann spoke to the Leica Family, it felt genuine.  Mr. Daniel (spelling?) is always fun and informative - he feels like a friend. 

Was the guest helpful?  No, but perhaps the lack of  a polished P.R. presentation added to the genuineness of the presentation. If Leica was slick and glitzy I doubt I would own one. I am glad they are not attempting to be Apple. I like the family feel Leica offers.  

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, stunsworth said:

A 4k monitor has approximately 8mp, but that‘s at 16 x 9. Given that an M has a ratio of 3x2 that’ll use around 6mp of the display (I can’t be bothered to do the maths correctly).

What is your points? Higher resolution monitors make better use of higher resolution images, surely you have seen? 8K monitors will be appearing much more in near future and then more. Why stay in past? What problem do you have with things that are better?

21 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

That was perhaps the worst executive level presentation I’ve witnessed, from any company. Informality can work; sloppy, off-topic and rambling cannot. I felt sorry for Stefan Daniel.

Jeff

It was car crash. Awful.  Special surprise guest nobody knows who has never owned leica and doesn't want M because it's too hard to learn and too intimidating. 😂 And why were they acting like Kaufmann and Daniel had never spoken about camera before? 

2 minutes ago, Dr No said:

Wonderful. Then it sounds like you're happy and don't need to keep upgrading. But I want more resolutions like many other people so constraining future cameras that you have no intention on buying because you don't think people need it is strange. I want more resolutions, it is much better and it really is simple. now that Leica offers something more everyone happy. perhaps I'm not understandings but I'm not sure why this is an issue for you?

It isn’t an issue, all I’m pointing out is that for most people there’s no need for more and more pixels. ‘Need’ and ‘want’ are of course very different things, and if someone wants to spend their money on the new camera that’s ok with me (obviously).

I’d rather Leica concentrated on increased dynamic range rather than pixel count, but as I said pixel count makes an easy marketing headline.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, M9reno said:

Thanks, William, kegon.

I think the gloriously multilingual Mr, Waltz would probably say: “de megapixelibus non curo."  😂

Thanks Alfonso. I knew that when the 'praetor maximus' arrived we would get the definitive words on the megapixel race. This beats the European Court decision on Apple yesterday for its conciseness.

William

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stunsworth said:

It isn’t an issue, all I’m pointing out is that for most people there’s no need for more and more pixels. ‘Need’ and ‘want’ are of course very different things, and if someone wants to spend their money on the new camera that’s ok with me (obviously).

I’d rather Leica concentrated on increased dynamic range rather than pixel count, but as I said pixel count makes an easy marketing headline.

But this camera is the R for RESOLUTION. Dynamic range was certainly talked about as being better than M10. Every release has been about better dynamic range and high ISO since M9. First release that has been about much anticipated and long overdue resolution upgrade. FINALLY. More resolution is not just marketing. It's what people want and have been begging for and it is much better.

33 minutes ago, Dr No said:

It was car crash. Awful.  Special surprise guest nobody knows who has never owned leica and doesn't want M because it's too hard to learn and too intimidating. 😂 And why were they acting like Kaufmann and Daniel had never spoken about camera before? 

It’s one thing to surprise the audience; another to surprise the hosts, and apparently with no purpose.

Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, kegon said:

Another interesting review with English subtitles

He finds better dynamic range (notably highlights), but WORSE grain and ISO performance compared to the M10, although he notes that there is not yet a LR profile and the FW might be early.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Dr No said:

More pixels is better graduations and tone and more pixels for more accurate colours. Higher resolutions is MUCH better.

All of which, 97% of the time, gets squashed back down to a 2048 px long edge rendition on an HD screen which... surprise! ... often looks like a chaotic crap pile. While there are definitely advantages to more data, there are disadvantages and dangers as well. Crush the sun down to the size of a peanut and lookout blackhole event horizon. Which sucks... literally... at least gravitationally speaking.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3