Leica M10-R: New M-Flagship with 41 MP Sensor

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/19/2020 at 1:11 PM, Malvolio said:

The case is very different here in Australia - for reasons best left to Leica to explain, the cost of the M10R here is $13500AUD whereas the M10 is still available for just under $10,000AUD.

Can someone explain to me the price difference in Australia whereas in the US it appears the M10R is only a slight premium (hundreds of dollars) over the M10?

In New Zealand, The M10-R  is listed at a mouth-watering NZD15,490 while the M10 is listed at NZD11,990 — a stunning NZD3,500 (€2,002) more for the higher resolution sensor.

Cheaper to buy in Europe. Andreas’s initial post says the M10-R will sell for €7,990 and the M10 for €6,850 — a difference of €1,140. Yes, that’s still a big premium but less than you’d pay elsewhere. Why the variation, I wonder?

And does at the new sensor really justify the hefty price tag? Whether it’s worth it, of course, is up to the buyer.

• Like 2

vor 20 Stunden schrieb peterinkingston:

I would like to do astral photography so of course I would like a Leica M10-R.

I'm thinking of buying 2nd hand M10-P but the idea of 40MP and 16 minutes sounds erm... like it is worth selling a kidney for.

16 minutes is way too long for astral photography...

On 7/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, skater75 said:

Why Leica does such a poor marketing job? No sample images on the major M camera release? Except couple tiny pics which cannot be viewed full screen or downloaded? Who they think they are? Don't care about our customers? Our brand need not to advertise itself? Shame....

I know, right?

It's such a shame - all those wonderful M cameras and lenses, just rotting on dealer's shelves...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Smogg said:

Today I got my Leica m10R and made some test shots. New sensor - incredible monster! It saves clipped highlights from +3ev  overexposed image!

Got mine a couple of hours ago.  Just a few shots indoors so far, hardly enough to judge one way or another, but I cant help myself.  It's brilliant, just f-ing brilliant. When I first got the M10, while the advantages over the 240 were there, the imaging aspects felt more evolution than revolution. Ten minutes with the 10R and it feels like a revolution to me.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Tailwagger:

Got mine a couple of hours ago.  Just a few shots indoors so far, hardly enough to judge one way or another, but I cant help myself.  It's brilliant, just f-ing brilliant. When I first got the M10, while the advantages over the 240 were there, the imaging aspects felt more evolution than revolution. Ten minutes with the 10R and it feels like a revolution to me.  

It’s selective perception, I’m sure. A teacher may have a favorite student (more megapixels) because they are biased. The teacher ignores the student's poor qualities. Conversely, they might not notice the qualities of their least favorite student (24 megapixels). 🤣

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

It’s selective perception, I’m sure. A teacher may have a favorite student (more megapixels) because they are biased. The teacher ignores the student's poor qualities. Conversely, they might not notice the qualities of their least favorite student (24 megapixels). 🤣

Perhaps, grasshopper, perhaps. 😀

It's not the added pixels, I'm impressed by.  I have other star pupils with even higher IQs.  Both the SL2  and X1D have more of the little buggers, but neither draws in the way this camera does. It's way too early to put my finger on, but where others have thought that the output looks flat, my first few snaps just look gentle, more natural. There's a simplicity to the rendering that just speaks to me in a way that likely others might find unexciting.  The AWB seem more refined as well. Perhaps it's something with the new coverglass, dunno, but the preliminary output just has a subtly different look about it. Could also be that Adobe hasn't mucked it up yet. I'd add that I've have never handled a 10P,  but there are several subtle aspects, beyond the shutter, that seem to elevate the feel of the camera over my  previous 2017 vintage M10. 

There's no need to despair for the M10... long may it live.  Rather one should rejoice that its offspring is in no way a step backward. Likely it will prove itself to be quite the opposite. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Someday soon, peoples en masse, will extol the virtues of 40MP. They will decry some people's call for 60MP and bitterly argue that 40MP is the "sweet spot" for the M and anything more will be a waste. "This is what the M was made for" they will say,  and of course 24MP will be a distant memory, the poor, forgotten, low resolution cousin of yesterday, shunned to to the dark, back and top shelf of the gear cabinet. And then the cycle will repeat 😂

The only questions I can be thinking is will 60MP M11-R be in 4 years or 5?

Edited by Dr No
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

Perhaps, grasshopper, perhaps. 😀

It's not the added pixels, I'm impressed by.  I have other star pupils with even higher IQs.  Both the SL2  and X1D have more of the little buggers, but neither draws in the way this camera does. It's way too early to put my finger on, but where others have thought that the output looks flat, my first few snaps just look gentle, more natural. There's a simplicity to the rendering that just speaks to me in a way that likely others might find unexciting.  The AWB seem more refined as well. Perhaps it's something with the new coverglass, dunno, but the preliminary output just has a subtly different look about it. Could also be that Adobe hasn't mucked it up yet. I'd add that I've have never handled a 10P,  but there are several subtle aspects, beyond the shutter, that seem to elevate the feel of the camera over my  previous 2017 vintage M10. 

There's no need to despair for the M10... long may it live.  Rather one should rejoice that its offspring is in no way a step backward. Likely it will prove itself to be quite the opposite. 

An excellent and encouraging account, it seems for me a very worthy and exciting upgrade.

52 minutes ago, Dr No said:

An excellent and encouraging account, it seems for me a very worthy and exciting upgrade.

Was out with it on the morning walk. I expect those that do opt in will be quite pleased.  A couple of hasty test snaps from this morning, very lightly processed.  The second scene I think shows the new found latitude on the right side of the histogram.  In my haste, to get back to work... have to pay for this thing you know... I failed to apply the profile to the SEM. Even so, vthe corner performance as compared to this lens on the SL2 is off the charts!!!

50mm Summilux BC

21mm SEM 

21 SEM 1600x`1600 corner crop

• Like 6

Aah to hell with work. One more. This time the 75mm 'lux. The only think notable is that all the added resolution seems to bring out a bit more CA from this lens than I'm used to. Left that in the shot rather than processing it out, for reference. 

• Like 7

On 7/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, jonoslack said:

I don't think so - I did ask about it but I was told that there were changes required to the body, and that there isn't room for the new sensor in the M10

best

Jono

Thanks for the info. best wishes.    //maddox

14 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

I couldn't agree more.

When I first had one just over a year ago, I was very much sceptical about the extra pixels but my immediate response when I put the SD card in the camera was F*&k YES! It hasn't really changed, and it's certainly not about the extra pixels.

Glad you're pleased!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

I couldn't agree more.

When I first had one just over a year ago, I was very much sceptical about the extra pixels but my immediate response when I put the SD card in the camera was F*&k YES! It hasn't really changed, and it's certainly not about the extra pixels.

Glad you're pleased!

I was certainly pleased Jono, you managed to demonstrate IMO the "Leica Look" even with 40.89MPs +/-  These Leica Look images I found in your M10-R review mean more to me in my own M10-R purchase decision than any pixel peeping, noise dot counting. Bravo and thank you !

"Brother" Leica M10-R with 50mm APO Summicron f2 1/350th ISO100

"Sister" Leica M10-R with 28mm Summilux M f1/4 1/500th ISO100

"Busted!" Leica M10-R with 50 mm APO Summicron M  f2 1/250th ISO250

Love the colors here too:

"Carnival at Nazare Portugal" Leica M10-R with 50mm APO Summicron M  1/125th at f2.8 ISO 1250

Edited by LBJ2
  • Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb LBJ2:

I was certainly pleased Jono, you managed to demonstrate IMO the "Leica Look" even with 40.89MPs +/- 

It’s been well established that the Leica Look is inversely proportionate to the megapixel count, I think. 8 MPx and it sort of jumps of the page. It takes a trained eye and a steady hand to preserve it with the M10-R, IMO. I trust that Jono will be able to deliver it even with the 100 MPx M13.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Haha 1

In an ideal world yes it would be nice.  But since being retired, I don't have the money required to blow on a new camera, and as an aside, it will need even more money spent as my copy of Lightroom 6.14 won't support it.

Never mind, I'll keep enjoying my M10.

After one evening and one morning with the new camera I am getting even more curious about the Leica S3, the big sister of the M10-R.

As far as I understand, the Kodak sensors are no longer available and it can be sensible to upgrade both my M9 and S2p. I will have to sell some of my equipment to finance the upgrades, fortunately I had some available funds to pay for the R yesterday.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ynp said:

After one evening and one morning with the new camera I am getting even more curious about the Leica S3, the big sister of the M10-R.

As far as I understand, the Kodak sensors are no longer available and it can be sensible to upgrade both my M9 and S2p. I will have to sell some of my equipment to finance the upgrades, fortunately I had some available funds to pay for the R yesterday.

Now you got me thinking and counting 😉. Would be very intersting to see comparison images from the S3 vs M10-R !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

I couldn't agree more.

Glad you're pleased!

Thanks Jono, I am indeed over the moon! This is the M that I, and I suspect many others over the past few years, have been waiting for. I'm quite looking forward to shooting with it more seriously in the coming days. 

I do, however, find it interesting that there seems to be a growing contingent of detractors in other threads. While I understand and sympathize with the notion that this latest M has pushed the upper bounds in terms of cost, I'd suggest skeptics reserve judgement until they see first hand what these files look like. It's all too easy to dismiss any Leica M, past or present, on the basis of a comparison of checkmarks made in the columns of a spread sheet. The same holds true comparing the M10 to M10R. The improvement, and hence the value, simply isn't something that can be quantified by name or number. It has to be felt.   

Those of us sucked deep into the gravity well that is the M, didn't arrive here on the basis of numbers. Can't really speak for anyone else, but I saw something in the images of others that I simply couldn't shake. It drew me in and made me ache for the ability to employ that special something in my work.  After years of nothing but M shooting... well the occasional Q,  I finally came up for breadth some nine months ago when I began spending most of my time with the SL2, this time smitten by the Karbe Summicrons. But the divine M siren has returned with a vengeance. She sings to me far more sweetly now than ever. There is a joy to all Ms. The M10-R is just a bit more so and in a very visceral and endearing way.  

I need to add that where many of us have expressed thanks for your reviews, I've failed in the past to express my personal gratitude for the feedback you have supplied to Leica over the years. To you, and the unseen others involved in field testing this camera, Bravo! I'm sure your collective contributions have helped to mold this spectacular result. I genuinely hope you take great joy and pride in that.  Others may quite rightly have a contrary view, but for me, this is indeed a very, very special M. I'm quite looking forward to getting out and shooting with it more seriously in the coming days. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1