Leica CL vs Leica Fotos 2.1 for remote triggering

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was wondering what other people's experience has been between these two apps when just wanting to remotely monitor and trip the shutter on the CL?  I found that the Leica Cl app stayed connected and triggered well - the Leica Fotos was good for transferring photos to the iPhone, but was hard to connect, dropped connections, drained the battery and wouldn't fire continuously (I only have the free version) Thanks for the input 🙂

The Leica CL app is long discontinued now and is incompatible with firmware v2.x on the CL, to the best of my knowledge. The Leica FOTOS app v2.1.0 works very well for capture and image download, albeit it's still somewhat slow at downloading DNG files to iOS (running on an iPhone 11 Pro, I get about 50 seconds download time per DNG file). I've had no problems with stability or reliability of the connection: it hooks up virtually instantly and doesn't drop any connections, right up to running the camera's battery down to nothing. I've been able to use it for copy work sessions and can handle upwards of 350 exposures starting with a full battery.  (I also only use the free version, no need for the additional features in the Pro version.) 

Continuous drive mode is, I think, only available on the Pro version. Same for video capture. 

Be sure both the CL firmware and the FOTOS app are up to date for best results. 

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ramarren said:

The Leica CL app is long discontinued now and is incompatible with firmware v2.x on the CL, to the best of my knowledge. The Leica FOTOS app v2.1.0 works very well for capture and image download, albeit it's still somewhat slow at downloading DNG files to iOS (running on an iPhone 11 Pro, I get about 50 seconds download time per DNG file). I've had no problems with stability or reliability of the connection: it hooks up virtually instantly and doesn't drop any connections, right up to running the camera's battery down to nothing. I've been able to use it for copy work sessions and can handle upwards of 350 exposures starting with a full battery.  (I also only use the free version, no need for the additional features in the Pro version.) 

Continuous drive mode is, I think, only available on the Pro version. Same for video capture. 

Be sure both the CL firmware and the FOTOS app are up to date for best results. 

G

Thanks for the reply. Do you use your WLAN or set up one from the camera? I found the original CL app worked better than the Fotos app, but maybe a conflict so I will delete the CL and try again.