Buying a M10 Monochrom or an M10R?

Paulus

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Paulus:

To be black or white for ever or not to be, that's the question. 

Really curious if the M10... R or what it will be called,  will change this. 

Out of my experience I decided for myself to divide my photography already with the equipment into B&W- and Color photography.

That means I have two separate systems, one for B&W and one for color photography and before I go out I decide which type of photography I want to do. This makes it much easier for me to "look" in B&W or in color. Since I have the M10M most of the time I use this system.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Paulus said:

The problem is that “for ever” is a long time.

I used to be indecisive, though I am not so sure. That’s why, having just bought the Monochrom 246, I have decided to hold onto my M10.

• Like 2

How about a compromise. If the majority of what you shoot is B&W then go for the M10-M and pick up one of the older Ms for the occasional color work. If your primary is color go for the M10-R and look for an older monochrome. Either way it's probably prudent to wait and see just what the M10-R can do. It may be sufficient to do both. Of course you don't get that "I'm forced to think in B&W" without a true monochrome camera but for me I find the M10 does great B&W if you take the time to learn how to process the files. Cheers, jc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 3:49 PM, Paulus said:

I enjoy B&W with my M10M so much that I think it will be forever...

BUT...

I'm thinking of getting an older M10 since forever doesn't have to mean ALWAYS!

Sometimes color is just what you need. I'm hoping the prices drop even more on the older M10s.

Interesting question.  I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I have an M10 and SL2 and have been thinking about trading in the M10 for an M10-M.  I've been mainly using the M10 for fun and processing the pictures in B&W.

I'm wondering if this is a change on how I'm pre-visualizing subjects or an aberration due to the covid-19 induced restrictions.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, scroy said:

Interesting question.  I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I have an M10 and SL2 and have been thinking about trading in the M10 for an M10-M.  I've been mainly using the M10 for fun and processing the pictures in B&W.

I'm wondering if this is a change on how I'm pre-visualizing subjects or an aberration due to the covid-19 induced restrictions.

I traded in my M10 for the M10 monochrom. I always shoot in b&w jpg and convert my raw to b&w if looked good. Like you I had the SL2 as well. Now I use monochrom for b&w and the SL2 as my color modern camera with autofocus. Very happy I did it. That monochrom is amazing and does look quite different than the desaturated raw photos.

• Like 2