summilux-m 50mm f1.4 black paint (pre-ASPH)

Bborco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, farnz said:

Searching on "summilux black paint" I can only see one for sale in the USA and it's a 'repaint'.  Perhaps we're looking at different things?  Do you have links you can provide peut-être, Steven?  I've found that eBay can give different results depending on which country you're searching from of course.

There are plenty of 'standard' black summiluxes but of course they're anodised, not black paint (or black chrome).

Pete.

Here is one 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/254917282849

concerning the m6ttl millenium, there are two or three of these sets (black paint m6 + 50mm 11623) selling near where I live. On eBay and in stores. Average price is 13,000

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

Here is one 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/254917282849

concerning the m6ttl millenium, there are two or three of these sets (black paint m6 + 50mm 11623) selling near where I live. On eBay and in stores. Average price is 13,000

Thank you, Steven, - ebay.co.uk didn't include this item in the search results, and it explains to me now your earlier reference to Goerlitz. 

It's offered at more than double what I'd expect to pay for a 'standard' black or chrome anodised 50/1.4 Summilux pre-asph version III so a premium has been added for the the black paint.

Perhaps there are just more black paint Summilux lenses for sale in France that are picked up by ebay.fr but we don't see elsewhere because the items are posted in French and ebay decides not to show them, which would be disappointing. 

Pete.

2 minutes ago, farnz said:

Thank you, Steven, - ebay.co.uk didn't include this item in the search results, and it explains to me now your earlier reference to Goerlitz. 

It's offered at more than double what I'd expect to pay for a 'standard' black or chrome anodised 50/1.4 Summilux pre-asph version III so a premium has been added for the the black paint.

Perhaps there are just more black paint Summilux lenses for sale in France that are picked up by ebay.fr but we don't see elsewhere because the items are posted in French and ebay decides not to show them, which would be disappointing. 

Pete.

Yes. The silver equivalent sells between 2,9 and 3,3. 
now it’s time to make a decision. Silver or BP ?! 

20 minutes ago, farnz said:

Perhaps there are just more black paint Summilux lenses for sale in France that are picked up by ebay.fr but we don't see elsewhere [...]

You could also see in Germany, Italy and somewhere else if not elsewhere ;) i guess (did not check) but not in the USA or UK because the seller doesn't ship there apparently. 

Edited by lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think we all have some idea how internet works, once somebody starts showing specific interests he get targeted. In case of Steven he seems to be guided to look at expensive examples of Leica lenses being offered for sale.

I would imagine pre ASPH Summilux M 50mm has been produced in large numbers, except for early version I it remained principally same optical design offered in different external finishes from early 1960s all the way till intrpduction of ASPH round 2005-6.

edit

excellent resource included in LUF

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/50mm_f/1.4_Summilux-M_III

Edited by mmradman

Just now, lct said:

You could also see in Germany, Italy and somewhere else if not elsewhere ;) i guess (did not check) but not in the USA because the seller doesn't ship there apparently. 

Ebay's (UK) search engine returns results in German from time to time but never in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc from what I remember even though I have the 'International" box permanently ticked.   I get results from USA, Canada, and Australia so it must concentrate on English-speaking countries, which is a little disappointing.

Pete.

17 minutes ago, mmradman said:

In case of Steven he seems to be guided to look at expensive examples of Leica lenses being offered for sale.

Not sure if this is a good, bad or neutral thing, but yes indeed, I like to use nice objects. I could use a black 35 Pre asph, but I enjoy more using the silver one. I could you black anodized 50 Pre asph, but I would prefer a BP. I could use a swatch, but I prefer .... other watches. I also enjoy very much using an item knowing that’s it’s appreciating itself and not depreciating. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, farnz said:

Ebay's (UK) search engine returns results in German from time to time but never in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc from what I remember even though I have the 'International" box permanently ticked.   I get results from USA, Canada, and Australia so it must concentrate on English-speaking countries, which is a little disappointing.

Pete.

You can change it in the settings. I had to switch someone. It was set by default to certain countries, I switched to worldwide. 

18 minutes ago, farnz said:

Pete.

Being outside EU doesn’t help.

Just now, mmradman said:

Being outside EU doesn’t help.

I suppose when it comes to shopping Leica, it’s the only time that not being in the us is better.

q2 is an example. Back ordered for months in the usa, available at every street corner in Europe  

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Not sure if this is a good, bad or neutral thing, but yes indeed, I like to use nice objects. I could use a black 35 Pre asph, but I enjoy more using the silver one. I could you black anodized 50 Pre asph, but I would prefer a BP. I could use a swatch, but I prefer .... other watches. I also enjoy very much using an item knowing that’s it’s appreciating itself and not depreciating. 

Steven, I purchased my black paint 50 1.4 Pre-Asph new in 2002 (if I remember correctly) as it was when I bought my LHSA black paint M6 and the dealer suggested I buy the matching black paint 35mm Summicron and this 50 1.4 Pre as the 50 BP was only a few hundred dollars more than the standard alloy lens so that seemed fine to me. As for how many were produced in black paint Leica made them in a series of matching serial numbers with the M6 Millennium body for 2000 and then separately with standard in line serial numbers post 2000 so there are at least a few thousand made but no more. My copy has been used a lot so the focus knurling is showing a distinct amount of brass now which I quite like, as does the LHSA black paint M6. I adore how these 50 1.4 Pre-Asph lenses render so if you subjectively like the rendering of this lens and would enjoy the lovely feel and look of the black paint or lacquer finish then if I were you I would buy one now as there is quite the demand for any of these black paint lenses so prices will probably only rise over time. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, insideline said:

Steven, I purchased my black paint 50 1.4 Pre-Asph new in 2002 (if I remember correctly) as it was when I bought my LHSA black paint M6 and the dealer suggested I buy the matching black paint 35mm Summicron and this 50 1.4 Pre as the 50 BP was only a few hundred dollars more than the standard alloy lens so that seemed fine to me. As for how many were produced in black paint Leica made them in a series of matching serial numbers with the M6 Millennium body for 2000 and then separately with standard in line serial numbers post 2000 so there are at least a few thousand made but no more. My copy has been used a lot so the focus knurling is showing a distinct amount of brass now which I quite like, as does the LHSA black paint M6. I adore how these 50 1.4 Pre-Asph lenses render so if you subjectively like the rendering of this lens and would enjoy the lovely feel and look of the black paint or lacquer finish then if I were you I would buy one now as there is quite the demand for any of these black paint lenses so prices will probably only rise over time. 

The problem is that he seems underwhelmed by the somewhat low price, it seems. If it was 16,000 instead of 6,000 it would be a much easier buying decision...

• Haha 2

Just now, Capuccino-Muffin said:

The problem is that he seems underwhelmed by the somewhat low price, it seems. If it was 16,000 instead of 6,000 it would be a much easier buying decision...

You’re an arrogant and an idiot 😜 or you don’t know how to read. 

• Like 1

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Capuccino-Muffin:

This is indeed very unpolite and insulting !

• Thanks 4

I do not wish that the lens was more expensive. I just wish that I understood why this lens is thought to be so rare, as described in post #1 #2 #5 of this thread. It’s referred to as a unicorn, as elusive, and as “wining the jackpot”. 

im confused as to why, as it’s widely available online, and the price is not as crazy as elusive items such as the steel rim or the 35aa. My point is just to understand if we’re all talking about the same lens (11623) or if something is missing. 

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

I do not wish that the lens was more expensive. I just wish that I understood why this lens is thought to be so rare, as described in post #1 #2 #5 of this thread. It’s referred to as a unicorn, as elusive, and as “wining the jackpot”. 

im confused as to why, as it’s widely available online, and the price is not as crazy as elusive items such as the steel rim or the 35aa. My point is just to understand if we’re all talking about the same lens (11623) or if something is missing. 

I do believe we are all talking about the same black paint 11623 lens but the new desire is due to it being black paint and now they have become quite sought after because of that lovely finish thats all. As I have shared it does also render in a lovely manner so that helps a bit as well. 

• Thanks 1