summilux-m 50mm f1.4 black paint (pre-ASPH)

Bborco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, insideline said:

Thats roughly when I purchased my new M6 LHSA, 50 1.4 Pre-APSH black paint and the 35 Summicron black paint but I sure didn't pay those prices. If I remember correctly the M6 LHSA was about $2100, the 50 Black paint $2300 and the 35 Black paint Summicron was about $150 less and I think the local dealer knocked off $100 from the total bill. I seem to remember I got the LHSA body for the same price as a standard M6 body but also I live in a smaller town and was supporting my local Leica dealer who also carried Hasselblad, so its quite possible I paid over normal prices but I was more than happy to support them as they were nice people who actually stocked almost all of the Hasselblad line but I had to order most of the Leica gear. Sadly they went out of business when the digital craze hit hard and could not compete with the big box stores, but I sure miss being able to walk in and talk gear and of course most often than not walk out with a new piece of equipment. I did however keep all of these Leica black paint pieces so while I paid more it doesn't matter now. 

Cool about keeping all that stuff.  Has it brassed up nicely over time?  

I too purchased my first Leica from a mom and pop type shop, now long gone.  That was right before the internet changed everything.  Back when you had to pick up the telephone and call Dan Black about something you saw on the back pages of Shutterbug.  Ha, ha, now we have Ebay, which has made the buying and selling infinitely easier.

Smart though to buy and keep and use.  

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

I’m not sure to understand why everyone is impressed about that lens. Someone even called it the unicorn. Gorlitz has 4 of them for sale in stock. And the price is not even that unaccessible. Am I missing something ? 

thanks

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Hi, 

I’m not sure to understand why everyone is impressed about that lens. Someone even called it the unicorn. Gorlitz has 4 of them for sale in stock. And the price is not even that unaccessible. Am I missing something ? 

thanks

Hi Steven,

Gorlitz has 4 black paint 50mm 1.4 pre-aspherical lenses in stock, or the standard black alloy versions? The Pre Asph 50 1.4 Summilux renders in a lovely slightly softer manner yet are plenty sharp for most photographs and posses an out of focus rendering that is a bit like a baby F1 Noctilux sort of look. That may not be the best way to describe the look but I have owned one of the black paint versions from new and I really like it, not unlike how you really like a lot of your early 35mm lenses. I don't know if this answers your questions or not? I would not in any way call it the or a unicorn though.....

4 minutes ago, insideline said:

Hi Steven,

Gorlitz has 4 black paint 50mm 1.4 pre-aspherical lenses in stock, or the standard black alloy versions? The Pre Asph 50 1.4 Summilux renders in a lovely slightly softer manner yet are plenty sharp for most photographs and posses an out of focus rendering that is a bit like a baby F1 Noctilux sort of look. That may not be the best way to describe the look but I have owned one of the black paint versions from new and I really like it, not unlike how you really like a lot of your early 35mm lenses. I don't know if this answers your questions or not? I would not in any way call it the or a unicorn though.....

Thank you for the answer. As for the rendering of the lens, and its imaging capabilities, I'm sold. Even more now that I know you love it. We share some tastes. 

I was just curious about the BP being so rare from reading this thread. But yes, Gorlitz has four or five of them. Different conditions, some brand new, some 6 bit coded, all with boxes. And it's the BP, not the regular black... Doesnt seem that rare to me ! 

Just now, Steven said:

Thank you for the answer. As for the rendering of the lens, and its imaging capabilities, I'm sold. Even more now that I know you love it. We share some tastes. 

I was just curious about the BP being so rare from reading this thread. But yes, Gorlitz has four or five of them. Different conditions, some brand new, some 6 bit coded, all with boxes. And it's the BP, not the regular black... Doesnt seem that rare to me ! 

Steven,

Maybe double check as the 50 1.4 Summilux pre-asph in black paint yes is quite rare and now worth good money. The code is #11623 for this lens so can you check if theirs are this code because of so let me know how to contact them as I will buy another. 

4 minutes ago, insideline said:

Steven,

Maybe double check as the 50 1.4 Summilux pre-asph in black paint yes is quite rare and now worth good money. The code is #11623 for this lens so can you check if theirs are this code because of so let me know how to contact them as I will buy another. 

Just PM'd you. 

1 minute ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Steven, you are looking for magical lenses.

the 35aa

summaron reissue

Lux 50 v1

this black paint in question

50 lux LHSA bp

He has the AA as do I, and I just sent him a picture of my LHSA 50 APO black paint as I agree its a lovely lens as is the 28 5.6 Summaron if thats the one you mean. Such a bad habit lens collecting. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, insideline said:

Yes they seem hard to find now as well as didn't they come in either silver of black paint as well but with the retro old style MP body and a few separate?

Yes they did and were asph as well although not marked as such.  I think forum member Derleicaman might have been President of LHSA at the time and involved in specifying the lens to Leica Solms so he would be able to prove more detail.

Pete.

I’m still confused about this 50 Pre ASPH III black paint. 

ebay is flooded with it (11623) so I don’t see how it’s that elusive. How many were produced ? To me, elusive items are the AA , the steel rim, a black paint m2, etc.... 

in any case, I like the look of it ... can anyone confirm that it comes with the built in hood like the silver version? Because I think, unless I’m wrong, that the black chrome ASPH doesn’t have the hood included. 

also, what is lhsa? 

thnaks 

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Because I think, unless I’m wrong, that the black chrome ASPH doesn’t have the hood included. 

You're correct, Steven, and it has a 43 mm filter thread compared to the pre-asph III's E46 mm.  The black chrome's finish is harder wearing tangibly different from the black paint finish, which is normally applied onto brass lenses and I prefer to think of it as 'black lacquer' because its touch, feel and 'warmth' remind me of lacquered (Shellacked) antique objets d'art.  But that's just me.^_^

I only have one black paint / black lacquer lens, which is a 1939 73/1.9 Hektor but even just picking it up is pleasant even though it is one of my favourite 'character' lenses.  Between outings it sits on my desk where I'm writing now.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

So I suppose that the MFD is 1m rather than 0.7m?

No, the black chrome's MFD is 0.7 metres (as are the version III's).  The version I and II pre-asph 50/1.4 Summilux's had a 1m MFD.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

So, it is just a coincidence that the lens is easily purchasable online as of April 2021? There is a dozen on eBay, some all over Asia, all look good, with boxes and the prices aren't crazy like some other collector's item .... The summilux pre asph v1 for example, sells for about 5 times the price as a regular v2. The 35AA also sells for about 5 times the price of a pre FLE. But the Black Paint summilux sells for less than twice the price of the silver or black equivalent.... This is why I cant understand why it said to be an elusive item... 

19 minutes ago, Steven said:

So, it is just a coincidence that the lens is easily purchasable online as of April 2021? There is a dozen on eBay, some all over Asia,

Searching on "summilux black paint" I can only see one for sale in the USA and it's a 'repaint'.  Perhaps we're looking at different things?  Do you have links you can provide peut-être, Steven?  I've found that eBay can give different results depending on which country you're searching from of course.

There are plenty of 'standard' black summiluxes but of course they're anodised, not black paint (or black chrome).

Pete.