summilux-m 50mm f1.4 black paint (pre-ASPH)

Bborco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. 

Finally I got the summilux 50mm black paint (pre-ASPH) lens but I couldn’t get any information about my lens. 

it’s not millennium limited version because the serial number doesn’t match I think. 

So if you know about my lens could you share me any information??

Let me attach the box image.

Thanks.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Jaeger and ardberg

Thank you very much. 

I add some photo of mine.

Edited by Bborco
  • Like 4

You definitely have something special. I believe the ‘ICS’ writing on the box is a clue. Doing some Googling it seems to be a special edition for the Japanese market. Found these two links that may help:

https://f22fotos.com/en/m6-ttl-ics-sn-2-555-020-2000-an-edition-of-the-millennium-m6-with-085-finder-for-the-japanese-leica-distributor-kanto-ics-was-engraved-on-the-rear-of-the-top-plate-this-camera-is-number-20200-with-sum

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2014/02/36th-ics-world-used-camera-fair/

I’m sure Bellamy at Japancamerahunter will know more about this. I’d try contacting him.

Congrats on a gem of a lens and possibly the unicorn of the E46 Pre-ASPH!

• Thanks 1

a5m

Thank you very much for sharing nice information. 

I found about m6ttl ICS limited version when I search about the lens that ICS limited version. But unfortunately I couldn’t reach about the my lens. 

The serial number what black paint Pre-ASPH Summilux 50mm lens, it normally start from 401xxxx likes your links I think. 

So I am so curious. Because my lens serial number start 392xxx...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Bborco My pleasure 🙂

You are right, the Serial # of your lens is in the same range as the regular Pre-ASPH version, not the Millennium Edition.

I suspect it was sold with the M6 TTL ICS edition in Japan. Maybe before the Millennium Edition was released, therefore the earlier Serial #. I wouldn’t focus on that anyway because the model # 11613 is completely different and unique by itself. First time hearing of it.

See what Bellamy Hunt has to say about it. He might even make an offer you can’t refuse 😄

@a5m Thank you again. 

I think so it was sold with the M6TTL ICS edition. Maybe.. 

I would like to make sure this hypothesis. 

Is it unique model #??  I have no idea...

I’m looking forward to what Bellamy Hunt has to say about it:)

Yes, the 11613 model number has not been used before.  I wouldn't get hung up on the 392nnnn serial number because Leica allocates serial number ranges in batches as they produce items and if an allocated serial number range still has some free numbers in it after the production cycle it was allocated to has finished then the free numbers are sometimes used for other products much later.

It's a very nice lens and deserves to be used with a black lacquer camera.

Pete.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 9:47 AM, Bborco said:

Hi. 

Finally I got the summilux 50mm black paint (pre-ASPH) lens but I couldn’t get any information about my lens. 

it’s not millennium limited version because the serial number doesn’t match I think. 

So if you know about my lens could you share me any information??

Let me attach the box image.

Thanks.

I have the same lens form new. I purchased it with my M6 LHSA black paint body along with the black paint 35 Summicron. My dealer talked me into it so it would match the new LHSA M6. It resolves exactly the same as the last Pre-ASPH 50 1.4 in either silver (also a brass body) or the standard black alloy but is beautifully made. Mine now has the brass showing all around the focus ring from use. I adore the lens even more now with the new higher resolution bodies. 

Am 14.7.2020 um 18:27 schrieb jaeger:

wow black paint pre-asph... you just won a jackpot.   can you show some pictures of the actual lens?  I don't feel satisfying looking at the box.

Pre-Asph 50 1.4 (Nr.40101xx). 
I also have this rare lens. Interestingly, it is the first Leica product that I have bought used in my life from a Leica dealer. Still in front of the Leica camera. I had to wait half a year for the Leica M8 that I actually wanted to buy (waiting list 13th place). I thought to myself now or never. The lens would have been gone in half a year. The used price has meanwhile doubled and is now around 5,000 euros. I am currently using the lens for my Leica M10 Monochrome. It's a great combination.

M10M I Summilux-M 1:1.4/50 I pre-asph. black paint I ISO 160 I  F 4  I 1/500 sec I Harley Davidson

Edited by panoramer
  • Like 2

I have the standard black anodized version, but if I ever get the possibility to get a black paint in mint condition, I will probably go for it. It looks gorgeous, and the scalloped focus ring seems to give a better grip than the standard ribbed ring.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big, bigger watch...

M10M - Summilux-M 1:1.4/50  pre-asph. black paint - ISO 400 - f 1.7 - 1/250 sec - Tudor

Edited by panoramer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Leica made a black paint M6 ttl and the 50 Pre-asph Summilux and 35mm Summicron Asph.  This was circa 2004.  Think you got the 50mm.  Leica had a hard time selling them back then and finally had to offer rebates.  Things weren't going well for Leica back then.  They nearly went out of business before they hit it out of the park with the M8.  I got a set myself.  Didn't use it; it just looked cool.  Ended up selling it a year later.  Ha, ha, with I kept all that stuff and sold it now.    

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex

On 2/11/2021 at 5:07 AM, Cronilux said:

Has anyone any informations about actual prices of the 50/1.4 Summilux Black paint pre-ASPH?

In 2002, I purchased a complete set new.  From the invoice, the M6 LHSA was $1495.  The 35/2 Asph was $1695.  And the black paint 50 Summilux was $1795.  If memory serves me, those were rebate prices.  Never used it; it just looked cool.  Ended up selling it all a year or two later.  

4 minutes ago, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

In 2002, I purchased a complete set new.  From the invoice, the M6 LHSA was $1495.  The 35/2 Asph was $1695.  And the black paint 50 Summilux was $1795.  If memory serves me, those were rebate prices.  Never used it; it just looked cool.  Ended up selling it all a year or two later.  

Thats roughly when I purchased my new M6 LHSA, 50 1.4 Pre-APSH black paint and the 35 Summicron black paint but I sure didn't pay those prices. If I remember correctly the M6 LHSA was about $2100, the 50 Black paint $2300 and the 35 Black paint Summicron was about $150 less and I think the local dealer knocked off $100 from the total bill. I seem to remember I got the LHSA body for the same price as a standard M6 body but also I live in a smaller town and was supporting my local Leica dealer who also carried Hasselblad, so its quite possible I paid over normal prices but I was more than happy to support them as they were nice people who actually stocked almost all of the Hasselblad line but I had to order most of the Leica gear. Sadly they went out of business when the digital craze hit hard and could not compete with the big box stores, but I sure miss being able to walk in and talk gear and of course most often than not walk out with a new piece of equipment. I did however keep all of these Leica black paint pieces so while I paid more it doesn't matter now. 

• Like 2