Q2 Unreadable DNG (?)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I’ve been using the Q2 for almost half a year now. Love the pics it produces but lately I’ve ran into a problem. Some of the pictures taken (I shoot DNG only) are unreadable by both the camera and Lightroom. Most are fine, but the pictures taken at the beginning of the session or at the end are most at risk. It happened when I first got the camera, but after updating the firmware to 2.0 it disappeared for a while.

The problem has recently resurfaced again in the past 3 days, where I have been losing 1-2 frames per day of shooting. I am using a Lexar 1667x UHSII 128Gb card, and am only shooting on single mode. I have not used continuous shooting mode at all outside of testing whether the feature worked. I have never used this card in another camera, and have formatted the card again but the problem persists.

Now today before I powered down the camera, I checked the pictures in-camera and they were all  present and readable, but once I got home, the file became marked with a “?” and became unreadable both in-camera and Lightroom. Has anyone else experienced this on the most recent firmware? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

+1. Try a different SD card. I use SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II cards. Be sure and format in camera. I would also run a test with continuous shutter modes to try and create the problem. In camera good means the jpg’s they use for thumbnails to display in camera are fine. Somehow the DNG’s are becoming corrupted. Let us know what you discover. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, marchyman said:

Replace the memory card.  Even cards from the good brands go bad now and then.

Or you could try doing an overwrite format using SD Card Formatter.

Thanks. I will try the SD Card Formatter first. UHSII cards are so expensive here.

5 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

+1. Try a different SD card. I use SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II cards. Be sure and format in camera. I would also run a test with continuous shutter modes to try and create the problem. In camera good means the jpg’s they use for thumbnails to display in camera are fine. Somehow the DNG’s are becoming corrupted. Let us know what you discover. 

I have tried with a slower SanDisk before and it had the same problem. It’s been fine in my M10-P though. Ah yes I forgot that the Q2 uses JPEGs for previews. That might explain why when the raw file gets corrupted, it can no longer provide a preview. 

But I thought firmware 2.0 should have fixed this issue...

Edited by nuc001

It could be a firmware problem too.  I had a lot of corrupted DNG files before updating from 1.0 (I think it was 1.3 that fixed it).  For whatever reasons, Q2 doesn't provide compression for DNG files, and they are 80MB each.  Also, formatting cards after transfer is also a good practice.

I recommend getting Sony Tough Card at 300MB/s.  They are expensive, but the 128GB card is still cheaper than the spare battery.  I bought one before firmware 2.0 update, as the older firmware writes really slow.  The 150MB/s tough card is much cheaper, and it is fast enough for Q2 now. 

Just remember, nothing worse than coming home from a vacation with unreadable photos.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vedivv said:

It could be a firmware problem too.  I had a lot of corrupted DNG files before updating from 1.0 (I think it was 1.3 that fixed it).  For whatever reasons, Q2 doesn't provide compression for DNG files, and they are 80MB each.  Also, formatting cards after transfer is also a good practice.

I recommend getting Sony Tough Card at 300MB/s.  They are expensive, but the 128GB card is still cheaper than the spare battery.  I bought one before firmware 2.0 update, as the older firmware writes really slow.  The 150MB/s tough card is much cheaper, and it is fast enough for Q2 now. 

Just remember, nothing worse than coming home from a vacation with unreadable photos.

Luckily it was just a few frames, 1-2 missing photos from each location out of maybe 30-50, so not sooo bad, but annoying nonetheless. 128GB still goes a long way and I had 800 images on the card before I formatted it, which may have caused the errors. I've only formatted in-camera before, but I used SD Card Formatter as per @marchyman's suggestion, and after that was done, fired off around 50 shots on continuous high as per @Leica Guy's suggestion, then turned the camera on and off repeatedly with no corrupted files so far. The problem may have been fixed hopefully. Will go shoot properly this evening and see. 🤞

Windows also notified me of a disk error when I inserted the SD card into the computer so, bad sign. But it should be fixed now hopefully. 

Sony Tough cards are so expensive here in Thailand, and unfortunately, after a quick search, no one has 150MB/s ones in stock. The 300MB/s ones are almost $200 for 64Gb 😅

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Careful of counterfeit cards. It’s easy to be fooled when purchasing and several people have reported problems using such  cards. I do not know how to tell a good from a fake. Buy from a reputable dealer. 

I often shoot many hundreds of images on a day of trip and have zero corrupted. I still view the SD card as the most likely culprit. Good luck. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Careful of counterfeit cards. It’s easy to be fooled when purchasing and several people have reported problems using such  cards. I do not know how to tell a good from a fake. Buy from a reputable dealer. 

I often shoot many hundreds of images on a day of trip and have zero corrupted. I still view the SD card as the most likely culprit. Good luck. 

I bought the card from their official retailer here in Thailand so I doubt that it's a counterfeit card. I've shot around 50 shots in total since I formatted the card using the SD card formatter and no corrupted photos so far....fingers cross.

8 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Glad it’s working well, but you should not have to use an SD formatter. It should work fine formatting in camera. 

Unless there is some serious SD card issue that requires deep format, it is always better to use camera itself to format, as the camera would set up the suitable file system.  I had plenty of issues using Windows or Mac formatting SD cards, but never had issues using cameras to format cards.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Glad it’s working well, but you should not have to use an SD formatter. It should work fine formatting in camera. 

9 hours ago, vedivv said:

Unless there is some serious SD card issue that requires deep format, it is always better to use camera itself to format, as the camera would set up the suitable file system.  I had plenty of issues using Windows or Mac formatting SD cards, but never had issues using cameras to format cards.

This was the first time I've formatted the card outside of the Q2 so I'm rather perplexed myself. Glad that it seems to be working for the time being...

18 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

There is a difference - SDformatter resets the card  to the factory specification and defragment, the camera only does a very minimal reformat. Both will leave the data on the card, unless it is overwritten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 2:58 PM, jaapv said:

There is a difference - SDformatter resets the card  to the factory specification and defragment, the camera only does a very minimal reformat. Both will leave the data on the card, unless it is overwritten.

That was what I thought, so I chose the overwrite format option and formatted the card. However, the issue is back and the first picture (after turning the camera on) of every shoot is corrupt. I have changed my workflow to format the card every time after I've transferred the photos to my iPhone and that seemed to have fixed it. Although leaving the camera on standby instead of turning it on and off between periods of shooting also seems to prevent the errors from happening. Very strange. 

3 hours ago, nuc001 said:

That was what I thought, so I chose the overwrite format option and formatted the card. However, the issue is back and the first picture (after turning the camera on) of every shoot is corrupt. I have changed my workflow to format the card every time after I've transferred the photos to my iPhone and that seemed to have fixed it. Although leaving the camera on standby instead of turning it on and off between periods of shooting also seems to prevent the errors from happening. Very strange. 

Well, try another card.

13 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

+1. I’d do exactly that. 

I've performed a camera reset but my profiles could not be imported so I ended up having to setup everything again 😅 

Fired off 20 shots on continuous and power cycled the camera several times. No lost pics so far. Still with the same card but another of the same make, speed and capacity is in the mail. Did not want to use the other cards I've used in the M10-P just in-case the trouble spreads... 

19 hours ago, nuc001 said:

I've performed a camera reset but my profiles could not be imported so I ended up having to setup everything again 😅 

Fired off 20 shots on continuous and power cycled the camera several times. No lost pics so far. Still with the same card but another of the same make, speed and capacity is in the mail. Did not want to use the other cards I've used in the M10-P just in-case the trouble spreads... 

Not likely a firmware virus that will go from camera to camera.  It more likely a defect  in the SD.  I have also had cards that were slightly flexed during insertion or removal, and then became damaged.  If I have a card that saves 98% of my shots it is worthless because I know the really good shots will inevitably be lost.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is not a contagious disease. :lol:

I thought it was a general rule to not swap memory cards between cameras 😄

9 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Not likely a firmware virus that will go from camera to camera.  It more likely a defect  in the SD.  I have also had cards that were slightly flexed during insertion or removal, and then became damaged.  If I have a card that saves 98% of my shots it is worthless because I know the really good shots will inevitably be lost.

That is true. I did lose some shots that I could not retake, but most I forget what they were 😅

I will test once the new card comes.