Canon R6

hamey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the Release of the Canon R5/6 models, I am very interested in testing the R6 for my R lenses, Some time ago I did buy a couple

Of Canon EOS models 600D and the 70D for my R lenses with some reasonable success but I still wasn't that happy with them but at that time there was no alternatives.

Full frame EOS  was out as the 28-90, 21-35 shroud  would hit the mirror, I also did buy the Leica M240 but on several occasions it locked up whenever  I used it with my

R lenses plus that horrible EVF attachment so I got rid the M240.

Since then I have been using Fuji X cameras and must say I love them especially the XH-1 but on accessions I still miss using my R lenses, also have an Leica R to Fuji X adapter but with

1.5 Crop still not happy with it.

So hopefully when we can get out once again I will try the  Canon R6 with my R lenses, hoping  this time it will be successful.

Anybody else  thinking the same for your R lenses,   (The SL system is out of the contention,don't trust it's future.)

Ken.

Very happy with results from my R lenses on A7III although I'm also quite happy using them on M240 & M10M, Visoflex notwithstanding.  Obviously the EVF & IBIS of the A7III gives it a distinct advantage (but on the other hand, its menu system...).

Don't know about latest Canon Mirrorless as i never used them.  I understand R6/R5 put serious emphasis on video recording and are late response to Pansonic S1/S1R,  Sony A7III/A7RIII & Nikon Z6/Z7. 

From own experience with Z7 the Nikon Z6 (24Mp) & Z7 (45Mp) are full frame mirrorless, IBIS, cheaper than R6/R5, stellar with R lenses and also M lenses including wide M ASPH lenses (can't vouch for pre-ASPH models).  The IBIS is optimised for Focal Length as cameras can be programmed for 20 non-native manual focus lenses by FL and F stop. 

• Thanks 1

i have not got around to buying an R to Z adapter, but I have tried a 50 year old Nikon 50mm  f1.4 on my Z6 and the results were incredible.  So easy to focus with the peaking and zoom features, plus constant depth of field preview without a dim viewfinder is great.

The Canon mirrorless cameras look great but they are a big step up in price from the Nikon Z cameras.  The extra features are mostly beneficial if you are a videographer or sports shooter in my opinion.

Edited by andrew01

Thank you gentleman for your response

I do like the Nikon Z bodies, but nobody at my local Camera stores have any R to Z adapters, but with the Canon R, I still have the R to EOS adapter so it will be much easier to couple up my R to EOS then Re-Attach it to the Canon's own EOS to R body to try out.

At this time I still own a couple of Canon lenses that I can use for auto focus if need be, but really I just want a full frame  body exclusively  for use  on my 8 Leica R Lenses.

Some of my local dealers have let me play with the SL2 with my R lenses and must say it was very good compared to the M240 that I had.

Pity the SL system took a little longer to appear, probably would have bought one then instead of the M240, but now it's too expensive for my needs as I have no intention of moving into the SL lens system and what some of the dealers have told me about the SL and Panasonic It's questionable.

Why not use my R lenses with my Leica R Cameras, well  have you tried the Nikon F6 with Zeiss Milvas lenses,  I have 2 Nikon F6's just mind blowing machines...... lol.

So my R lenses have been waiting for the R10 for quite a while now which has never appeared so perhaps they might be happy with the R6 and wait a little bit longer, time will tell.

Yes I know, It's all that GAS.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, hamey said:

..........  Some of my local dealers have let me play with the SL2 with my R lenses and must say it was very good compared to the M240 that I had.

Pity the SL system took a little longer to appear, probably would have bought one then instead of the M240, but now it's too expensive for my needs as I have no intention of moving into the SL lens system and what some of the dealers have told me about the SL and Panasonic It's questionable.  .........  

Hamey, could you expand a bit on what dealers have said about the SL and Panasonic?

So far as the R10 is concerned, my own view is that the SL2 is the R10. The main extra feature for me is IBIS. R lenses can never be autofocus, and to achieve this a new range of lenses would therefore in any case be needed. Further, the Leica R - L adapter is pretty well as smart as an R ROM chip allows. Yes, it's not cheap, but to compare like with like in terms of resolution, you have to look at the R5 compared with the SL2, and the price difference is then not quite so bad!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi John.

OK John, first some points on the SL2,  is it the R10, well it's more versatile in allowing all Leica lenses to be attached to it, it has IBIS  which is  great for manual lenses especially  for slow Vario R lenses also other attributes, so why isn't selling well, why are a lot of Leica R enthusiast like me not buying it, it's supposed to be the camera we R lovers been waiting for.

I own 2 M lenses 35mm f2 and 50mm 1.4 Lux ASPH  plus 8 R lenses,  so why not buy the SL2, well here in Australia they (Leica Australia) are charging  around 10,000 Dollars  for the SL2 plus Over 1000 Dollars for the R to SL adapter, over the last 45 years I have given Leica enough of my money to warrant this nonsense .

Canon Australia is giving a 5 year warranty and around 4000 Dollars on the R6, thats 6000 Dollars cheaper then the SL2 and for the adapter I have already got one from NOVOFLEX.

Resolution, I don't need that much, 20 to 24 is adequate  for me, all I need is a body that can couple up my R lenses,  IBIS  is great, all my Leica R lenses are Manual so don't need Auto Focus but already have a couple of EOS lenses so I can use them if need be, as for the SL Lenses, have no interest in them, very happy with my Fuji X lens system.

So it's a matter of economics, the Canon R6 is better value.

At the moment here in Victoria Australia we are in lockdown mode till the end of the month, don't mind that much as it's winter down here and at 71 years I feel the cold.

My dear wife and I were going to the UK and Europe last month but covid 19 stuffed that up.

Now over the years I have known a few Dealers and on occasions have a chat and a coffee and discuss photography  in general, being a long time Leica user the topic comes up in how is Leica doing, sales are good on the M and Q what about the SL...NO COMMENT  one dealer had a SL and he had it for a long time before he sold it at a reduce cost and now wont take any as second hand unless you want to give it away, last time I spoke to him he sold one  SL2 in a month, compared to Nikon, Canon, Sony and Fuji  turnover is much greater.

Presently I own  these lenses  28-90mm  21-35mm  80-200mm 35-70 mmf4  50mmf2  90mmf2 180mmf2.8  and the first 35-70mm3.5, I don't want to part with them but it's a shame to see them idle in my glass cabinet, hopefully by the end of the year I might have something for them.

I might even check out the Nikon Z6s on it's release, but I am a little biased towards the Canon R, probably it's that word "R" thats got me.

Ken.

Edited by hamey

Hi Ken.

I agree  that if the resolution of the R6 is good enough for you, then it's difficult to argue against it on economic grounds. I still have an attachment to the Leica brand I suppose, and I do love the SL2!

FWIW, the R lenses on the 24 MPix Leica SL (Typ 601) work brilliantly, especially with the Leica R->L lens mount adapter.

For larger resolutions they work equally well on the Sony AR7III/ IV (I have the latter).

From my perspective, cannot see the the point in spending vast amounts of money on a new SL2 or Canon R6 etc. when there are so many v.good options already available much more cheaply on the 2nd hand market.

1 minute ago, AZN said:

FWIW, the R lenses on the 24 MPix Leica SL (Typ 601) work brilliantly, especially with the Leica R->L lens mount adapter.

For larger resolutions they work equally well on the Sony AR7III/ IV (I have the latter).

From my perspective, cannot see the the point in spending vast amounts of money on a new SL2 or Canon R6 etc. when there are so many v.good options already available much more cheaply on the 2nd hand market.

I have a particular need in that I've developed a benign tremor in my dotage so I need IBIS to use my R lenses off tripod, otherwise I could have managed with my M240 +EVF.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:52 AM, hamey said:

Thank you gentleman for your response

I do like the Nikon Z bodies, but nobody at my local Camera stores have any R to Z adapters, but with the Canon R, I still have the R to EOS adapter so it will be much easier to couple up my R to EOS then Re-Attach it to the Canon's own EOS to R body to try out.

At this time I still own a couple of Canon lenses that I can use for auto focus if need be, but really I just want a full frame  body exclusively  for use  on my 8 Leica R Lenses.

Some of my local dealers have let me play with the SL2 with my R lenses and must say it was very good compared to the M240 that I had.

Pity the SL system took a little longer to appear, probably would have bought one then instead of the M240, but now it's too expensive for my needs as I have no intention of moving into the SL lens system and what some of the dealers have told me about the SL and Panasonic It's questionable.

Why not use my R lenses with my Leica R Cameras, well  have you tried the Nikon F6 with Zeiss Milvas lenses,  I have 2 Nikon F6's just mind blowing machines...... lol.

So my R lenses have been waiting for the R10 for quite a while now which has never appeared so perhaps they might be happy with the R6 and wait a little bit longer, time will tell.

Yes I know, It's all that GAS.

Cheers.

Having owned a few A7R cameras and the Z7 and M262 / M10. I can safely say the the Z7 is by far the best for R and M lenses (apart from a select few M lenses where the M10 is better)... Great IBIS, nice viewfinder, cheap now, stunningly natural colours, THIN sensor stack allowing M lenses to work better than on the Sony... Also nice, simple handling.

I would not buy a Canon for M or R lenses until tested. They are not proven yes. Plus the SL is surely about the most future proof camera out there. Backed by Leica, Panasonic, Sigma...

Edited by JTLeica

On 7/15/2020 at 11:48 AM, hamey said:

Hi John.

OK John, first some points on the SL2,  is it the R10, well it's more versatile in allowing all Leica lenses to be attached to it, it has IBIS  which is  great for manual lenses especially  for slow Vario R lenses also other attributes, so why isn't selling well, why are a lot of Leica R enthusiast like me not buying it, it's supposed to be the camera we R lovers been waiting for.

I own 2 M lenses 35mm f2 and 50mm 1.4 Lux ASPH  plus 8 R lenses,  so why not buy the SL2, well here in Australia they (Leica Australia) are charging  around 10,000 Dollars  for the SL2 plus Over 1000 Dollars for the R to SL adapter, over the last 45 years I have given Leica enough of my money to warrant this nonsense .

Canon Australia is giving a 5 year warranty and around 4000 Dollars on the R6, thats 6000 Dollars cheaper then the SL2 and for the adapter I have already got one from NOVOFLEX.

Resolution, I don't need that much, 20 to 24 is adequate  for me, all I need is a body that can couple up my R lenses,  IBIS  is great, all my Leica R lenses are Manual so don't need Auto Focus but already have a couple of EOS lenses so I can use them if need be, as for the SL Lenses, have no interest in them, very happy with my Fuji X lens system.

So it's a matter of economics, the Canon R6 is better value.

At the moment here in Victoria Australia we are in lockdown mode till the end of the month, don't mind that much as it's winter down here and at 71 years I feel the cold.

My dear wife and I were going to the UK and Europe last month but covid 19 stuffed that up.

Now over the years I have known a few Dealers and on occasions have a chat and a coffee and discuss photography  in general, being a long time Leica user the topic comes up in how is Leica doing, sales are good on the M and Q what about the SL...NO COMMENT  one dealer had a SL and he had it for a long time before he sold it at a reduce cost and now wont take any as second hand unless you want to give it away, last time I spoke to him he sold one  SL2 in a month, compared to Nikon, Canon, Sony and Fuji  turnover is much greater.

Presently I own  these lenses  28-90mm  21-35mm  80-200mm 35-70 mmf4  50mmf2  90mmf2 180mmf2.8  and the first 35-70mm3.5, I don't want to part with them but it's a shame to see them idle in my glass cabinet, hopefully by the end of the year I might have something for them.

I might even check out the Nikon Z6s on it's release, but I am a little biased towards the Canon R, probably it's that word "R" thats got me.

Ken.

Novoflex do great adapters. All so far work well at infinity... I think the Z6 is a great choice is just needing 24MP. Its so cheap now and proven to work well with M lenses. Your 50 Lux will work fine just not great for landscapes. Floating element lenses dont like anything but a Leica M, not even an SL (to a point)

Hello JT.

Thank you for your response.

You have certainly brought up some good points, at this time I cannot do match as we're in lockdown, but with this ongoing situation it's given me more time to think whether to keep my Leica R and M equipment or get rid of them all together, for once use my brain not my heart, but using Leica Cameras since 1973  makes that decision very hard.

Yes I fully understand a lot of praise for the SL2 it's a very good Digital body for the R lenses, but  I no longer wish to buy anything Leica especially anything to do with the SL system,  don't trust it's future and I no longer have any faith in Leica after the discontinuation of the R system after waiting so long for the R10 I moved to fuji X system and very happy I did.

For Film I have several Nikons and my all time favourite is the F6 followed by the F3, the F6 focusing  system for manual lenses is fantastic the best out there,  puts my  Leicaflex SL, & R8/9  to shame especially in low light.

My dear wife viewpoint is, if i'am not using the Leica gear, get rid of them, and let somebody else enjoy them, just stick with one brand Nikon, sell the Fuji gear and everything else and go all out for Nikon, But dear I love my   Fujifilm X system, yes I know, you said that about Leica, but you will get over it.

I  should take her advise more seriously...lol.

Cheers.

Hopefully I will let the forum members know of my decision, now for some more steepness nights.

Edited by hamey
  • Like 1

I hear your concerns. But if you look logically at the reasons the R series couldn’t continue, in a world of modern autofocus and mirrorless cameras, it is not surprising at all. 

There just is no place for a large body, with manual focus, expensive lenses. Effectively the SL is the R replacement with an adapter.

I will happily guarantee that the SL system is safe for as long as Leica are safe. Who are considerably more secure than half the  camera companies out there. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, mmradman said:

Don't know about latest Canon Mirrorless as i never used them.  I understand R6/R5 put serious emphasis on video recording and are late response to Pansonic S1/S1R,  Sony A7III/A7RIII & Nikon Z6/Z7. 

From own experience with Z7 the Nikon Z6 (24Mp) & Z7 (45Mp) are full frame mirrorless, IBIS, cheaper than R6/R5, stellar with R lenses and also M lenses including wide M ASPH lenses (can't vouch for pre-ASPH models).  The IBIS is optimised for Focal Length as cameras can be programmed for 20 non-native manual focus lenses by FL and F stop. 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:36 PM, hamey said:

Hello JT.

Thank you for your response.

You have certainly brought up some good points, at this time I cannot do match as we're in lockdown, but with this ongoing situation it's given me more time to think whether to keep my Leica R and M equipment or get rid of them all together, for once use my brain not my heart, but using Leica Cameras since 1973  makes that decision very hard.

Yes I fully understand a lot of praise for the SL2 it's a very good Digital body for the R lenses, but  I no longer wish to buy anything Leica especially anything to do with the SL system,  don't trust it's future and I no longer have any faith in Leica after the discontinuation of the R system after waiting so long for the R10 I moved to fuji X system and very happy I did.

For Film I have several Nikons and my all time favourite is the F6 followed by the F3, the F6 focusing  system for manual lenses is fantastic the best out there,  puts my  Leicaflex SL, & R8/9  to shame especially in low light.

My dear wife viewpoint is, if i'am not using the Leica gear, get rid of them, and let somebody else enjoy them, just stick with one brand Nikon, sell the Fuji gear and everything else and go all out for Nikon, But dear I love my   Fujifilm X system, yes I know, you said that about Leica, but you will get over it.

I  should take her advise more seriously...lol.

Cheers.

Hopefully I will let the forum members know of my decision, now for some more steepness nights.

Are you coming to any conclusion ☺️ ?

1 hour ago, Kim Dahl said:

Are you coming to any conclusion ☺️ ?

As you quoted my post I already forgot about what type of conclusion are looking for?

Couple of points while I am here.  

There was a time when converting R lenses to use on DSLR cameras from Canon, Nikon also Pentax was popular, I still have half a dozen of Leitax R mounting flanges collecting dust.  Starting with Olympus we had mirrorless revolution first with 4/3, APS-C and finally full format.  Lens mount conversions became superfluous and R lenses can be attached via simple extension tube with matching mounts on both ends to fit most full frame models off all manufacturers. 

Latest Nikon Z lenses are of exceptional quality and much cheaper than Leica SL counterparts. Only time I can think of using R lens is when I wish to convey a bit of old school character.  I have already started disposing of my R collection, I will probably end up keeping couple of R’s which I modified also one I personally prize and sell the rest.

Over the last few months under lockdown it has given me a further insight in what to do with my R lenses, presently on occasions I use them with my Canon 70D.

But I have come to the conclusion choosing the Canon R6 or the Nikon Z/II just to use them on my Manual Focus  R lenses is a waste  of money.

At this time my film photography is delegated  to my two magnificent Nikon F6's coupled to Zeiss Milvas lenses and for my Digital needs I use the Fuji XH-1, XT-2, and the Canon 70D.

My Daughter wants the M7 + lenses so she can have them, as for the R equipment, most likely will dispose of some but keep the 50, 21-35, 28-90, and the 80-200mm.

I have been using Leica's for 47 years and I must say I have enjoyed every moment with them, but it's time to move on to other systems to which fit my interest more.

I will continue to fellow this forum as it has some great images that are uploaded as well as some terrific and informative conversations by it's members. 

So for now it's take care to everyone.

Edited by hamey
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hamey said:

Over the last few months under lockdown it has given me a further insight in what to do with my R lenses, presently on occasions I use them with my Canon 70D.

But I have come to the conclusion choosing the Canon R6 or the Nikon Z/II just to use them on my Manual Focus  R lenses is a waste  of money.

At this time my film photography is delegated  to my two magnificent Nikon F6's coupled to Zeiss Milvas lenses and for my Digital needs I use the Fuji XH-1, XT-2, and the Canon 70D.

My Daughter wants the M7 + lenses so she can have them, as for the R equipment, most likely will dispose of some but keep the 50, 21-35, 28-90, and the 80-200mm.

I have been using Leica's for 47 years and I must say I have enjoyed every moment with them, but it's time to move on to other systems to which fit my interest more.

I will continue to fellow this forum as it has some great images that are uploaded as well as some terrific and informative conversations by it's members. 

So for now it's take care to everyone.

Hamey, of course, times change, but please do keep lurking, and indeed posting, because your long and deep Leica expertise and experience will become an increasingly valuable resource here. I'm delighted that you're keeping that selection of R lenses it does of course mean that you've got most bases covered, and therefore are also keeping your future options open!

23 hours ago, masjah said:

Hamey, of course, times change, but please do keep lurking, and indeed posting, because your long and deep Leica expertise and experience will become an increasingly valuable resource here. I'm delighted that you're keeping that selection of R lenses it does of course mean that you've got most bases covered, and therefore are also keeping your future options open!

Hello John.

Hope is all well with you and thank you for your kind words.

Definitely  will continue to lurk around as it's a wonderful forum.

Even though I have stopped using my Leicas, they will always be in my HEART.

To the other Gentleman who sent me a massage.

I do have a Leica R and M adapter to Fuji X  but prefer to use the X lenses as the benefit of auto focus confirmation plus IBIS is so useful to me.

My vision is starting to slow down and Focus confirmation is so important to me, having that green dot and beep when in focus is so handy, if only Leica and Fuji would adopt it for their manual lens operation, I am not keen on focus peaking, it's weird that the image in the EVF has to go all fuzzy to be considered to be IN FOCUS..

I recently bought  a Fotodiox Leica R to EOS adapter with a focus chip for my R lenses to Canon and amazingly works, so when I need to use my R lenses I will just use the 70D.

Ken.

• Like 1