This time of year when I hate all mirrorless

Advertisement (gone after registration)

51 minutes ago, ramarren said:

(Polarized sunglasses have shown no effects whatever in any of the past five automobiles I've owned (that spans back to 1985), and do not occlude my vision through the faceshield of my motorcycle helmets either.)

I've spent a lot of time inside a motorcycle helmet and always avoid wearing polarizing lenses while riding. "Occlude" is maybe too strong a word, but there are distracting color and contrast effects when wearing polarized lenses behind a plastic faceshield. E.g., it can be difficult to see road debris in dappled sunlight. These effects seem to be more apparent with Shoei shields, and a bit less with Arai, which are the two brands of helmets I'm familiar with.

Interesting. I have both Arai and Shoei helmets too. Without the polarizing glasses, the flare from sunlight at low angles in the evening and morning is blinding without the glasses, and I can see much better with them on than without. I've never found the discoloration effects to hide or distract from road debris; in fact, they make it more visible and avoidable. 

But this is a complex matter of your eyes, your vision, the specific glasses you use, which helmet, which shield, etc., vs mine. That's why it's important for each individual to work out what works best for them. Same as cameras. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 10:39 PM, tom.w.bn said:

I will not wear a hat to solve this issue. My daugher once said to me: when you start wearing a hat, you are officially old....    🙂

And I have been told: "when you start playing golf...."

• Haha 1