M3 and a 40mm lens

Hi Akiva - a 40mm is 20% wider. The lens will bring up the 50mm framelines which have a reasonable border beyond in the viewfinder. I estimate you'll get about 95% of the shot in the viewfinder, but probably 90% obviously visible without hunting in corners. It works.

I love 40mm but would probably use one on an M2 where I can reckon off the 35mm framelines (basically the usable area of the viewfinder) and visualise the 14% crop more easily.

• Like 1

Looks great ! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What do you expect to expect? It's a 40mm lens on a camera with a viewfinder for a 50mm lens, so you need to imagine what is actually going to be the frame when you take the shot, or just 'shoot loose'. I guess you get used to it after a while.

Personally I had an M3 and didn't like it, I found the thick rounded frame line off putting. Maybe using a 40mm and ignoring the frame lines/shooting looser is the answer to that!

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I personally loved 40mm on the m3. I just used the whole viewfinder. If you do go with a 40mm, I recommend the cron-c or the rokkor. 
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 3:19 AM, Charles Morgan said:

I estimate you'll get about 95% of the shot in the viewfinder, but probably 90% obviously visible without hunting in corners. It works.

Depends on the subject distance, as M frame lines are optimized for one distance; at shorter or longer distances, more or less (respectively) of the image is included within the frame lines (angle of view depends on image distance, not focal length, with an M).  I think the M3 frame lines were optimized for 1m. (The M10 frame lines are optimized at 2m.)

Jeff