Experiences with the Elmar-M 50 2.8?

jowatt

It's super tiny—any smaller and it would be hard to use, in my opinion.  No problems carefully mounting and demounting it either extended or collapsed on the M10-P or M10-M.

An older mint copy (#37XXXXX) I tested had pretty significant front focus and wouldn't reach infinity, consistent with at least one other forum poster's 50/2.8-M copy.  I fixed it through a fairly long, though enjoyable, process (see my post here):

Both copies are now quite sharp and can take strong photos (example below)

Overall, very small and light, and highly recommended if you don't need larger apertures.

Edited by onasj

My favorite 50 on M and mirrorless cameras. Do a search on the forum, you will find several posts about it. BTW i have two of them and none has loose focus ring. No focus issue either. Just beware that the lens cannot be fully collapsed on film and digital CL bodies. Better keep it extended when mounting and dismounting it anyway.

Mine gives very nice results, but I much prefer the ergonomics of the Summarit 50 2.5 that replaced it in the Leica range. 

I used the original 2.8 Elmar on film and loved it. The IQ of the M version is better, but the Summarit has spoiled me, and the Elmar-M sits on the shelf.

• Like 1

My silver copy, last model with M mount, works quite well and is very sharp. And yes, the focus wheel is a little loose, but quite pleasant to use. And collapsed makes the camera really flat. Is a lens I love. Only suggestion is to mount and dismount in the extended position.

Great lens. Don’t hesitate. And don’t hesitate to check the focus adjustment before you buy, which counts for every M lens, even new ones. It’s an awfully sharp lens and the best value for money in M lenses in my view. The big difference in price with the APO 50 is not at all proportionate to the difference in IQ of these two lenses, especially not in day to day B&W street photography. I never experienced a loose focus wheel.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

I have owned two, one chrome and one black.  Both were outstanding.  Very sharp and crisp and contrasty.

It's good to purchase one that can be examined, as some of them fail to have a proper amount of friction when locking in the extended position.

Neither of mine were 6 bit coded and didn't need it.

I've read that the aluminum bodied versions (black) can develop some wobble from wear, whereas the brass (chrome) versions don't experience this.  Never observed this myself, just something I read.

Tiny lens.  Great choice for travel.

I have a silver Version. (378....)
The focus is unlike any M-Lense that i had: realy quick& smoth. I think the focus speed is blazing fast. It can be a problem, if you are used to some resistance. But once you are used to it, it is a pleasure to use. 

But i would only go for it, if you can get it cheap. Summarit and Summicron are both better (mechanical & IQ).

I had it briefly. Black one. It was one of the Leica made lenses which has unique, rich, not clinical character on bw darkroom prints. I'm finding it way superior to all Crons (form Rigid to v4) after collapsible one (on bw darkroom prints).  

I sold it because with filter and hood it was too long and even collapsed not very compact (with filter and hood).

And I had perhaps subjective, but fragile feel on it. 

Can't comment how it is on digital. Sold it before getting digital M. Didn't even tried with color film, either.

Collapsible Cron was just as good as Elmar-M 50 2.8 on bw DR prints (WOW effect :) ), but feels more robust to me. Again, I haven't tried it on color film or on digital. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.