TTartisans 50/0.95 compared to Leica 50/0.95

onasj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A fairly extensive set of photos comparing side-by-side (with modest framing and exposure differences for the second, handheld set) is posted below.  Overall, as with the better TTartisans lenses (such as a the 35/1.4), my take from reviewing these photos is that the TT 50/0.95 offers ~80+% of the quality of the Leica lens (higher at smaller apertures, lower if pixel peeping or printing very large) for a modest fraction of the cost—in this case, $760 vs. $12,500.

https://leicarumors.com/leica-noctilux-50mm-f-0-95-vs-ttartisan-50mm-f-0-95-lens-comparison/

Edited by onasj
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I know I'll get my nuts chewed-off for saying so but I slightly prefer the OOF rendering (in the majority of the examples) of the TT lens. I'd love to have the chance to do back-to-back tests with these lenses under controlled studio conditions to fully understand the differences myself. My experience with 7Artisans lenses has been mixed (to put it mildly!) but from what I've read the TT offerings seem to be made to tighter tolerances than those from 7A. I rarely shoot with fast lenses wide-open but when it works there's really nothing quite like it!

I'll keep an eye out for more opinions on this one.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb pippy:

I know I'll get my nuts chewed-off for saying so but I slightly prefer the OOF rendering (in the majority of the examples) of the TT lens. 

My thoughts as well. I placed an order on eBay for this glass after seeing this. 

• Like 1

I sure would like to see a comparison between the TTArtisans 50 f0.95 and the 7Artisans 50 f1.1. I have the 7A lens and I have no real complaints with it considering the price, but it can be hit or miss wide open in terms of quality.

I have seen earlier comparison available on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/TTArtisan/posts/blind-testing-of-the-upcoming-ttartisan-50095the-photos-in-each-group-are-taken-/1022569971444833/

And this new comparison gives me the same self-conclusion. I see no significant difference. 

Too bad for me. I'm not fan of huge 50mm lenses on M. I gave nick name for this lens. The Pickle Barrel.    

On 7/9/2020 at 3:26 AM, 84bravo said:

I sure would like to see a comparison between the TTArtisans 50 f0.95 and the 7Artisans 50 f1.1. I have the 7A lens and I have no real complaints with it considering the price, but it can be hit or miss wide open in terms of quality.

I compared it with the nokton 1.1, both wide open, both at 1 meter, i like the bokeh better of the TTartisans, Nokton is sharper at the edges (nokton is a very sharp lens). Did comparison on Sony A7, as as usual with these chinese lenses, the rangefinder calibration is completely crap. I spend 15 minutes on it, and it's almost there, but not yet.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 13 Stunden schrieb maartenmoerman:

rangefinder calibration is completely crap

oh, oh. I wouldn't bet my wife on this strong statement.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb maartenmoerman:

spend 15 minutes on it, and it's almost there, but not yet.

What does that mean?

Edited by 01maciel
typo

1 hour ago, 01maciel said:

oh, oh. I wouldn't bet my wife on this strong statement.

What does that mean?

Well, none of the 7/tt artisans lenses I've received were properly calibrated, and I've never hard of anybody that bought these , and told that the calibration was spot on. Also, when adjusting, infinity is usually not at the hard stop anymore.

It means I need to spend some time on it to get 0.95 aperture exactly spot on.

• Like 1

How does the off-center/edge performance of the TT 50/0.95 compare with that of the Leica 50/0.95?  The Leica gets a bad rep for off-center performance wide open, in part because its mtf curves off-center wide open look horrible, but it's actually just strong field curvature away from the camera and if I use live-view I can get reasonably sharp off-center subjects with the Leica wide open.  Of course even better would be less field curvature wide open!

Am 11.7.2020 um 13:19 schrieb maartenmoerman:

Well, none of the 7/tt artisans lenses I've received were properly calibrated, and I've never hard of anybody that bought these , and told that the calibration was spot on. Also, when adjusting, infinity is usually not at the hard stop anymore.

It means I need to spend some time on it to get 0.95 aperture exactly spot on.

I prefer  to spent 10 minutes to adjust the focus on the 7artisans then to send the Nocti back to Wetzlar!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2020 at 7:21 AM, pippy said:

I know I'll get my nuts chewed-off for saying so but I slightly prefer the OOF rendering (in the majority of the examples) of the TT lens. I'd love to have the chance to do back-to-back tests with these lenses under controlled studio conditions to fully understand the differences myself. My experience with 7Artisans lenses has been mixed (to put it mildly!) but from what I've read the TT offerings seem to be made to tighter tolerances than those from 7A. I rarely shoot with fast lenses wide-open but when it works there's really nothing quite like it!

I'll keep an eye out for more opinions on this one.

Philip.

I only have two myself and reckon I may As well lose both by saying that I am kinda blown away by the sample shots I have seen by this lens. Putting side by side with shots taken with Noc - it is distinguishable but only after minutes of starring at it. Tonality in particular - all I can say is wow. 

Good review here. It is cheap but don't be fooled by early shill reviews. Heavy colour cast on edges, bad corners, awful chromatic aberration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jruKZTA8Jso

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dr No said:

Good review here. It is cheap but don't be fooled by early shill reviews. Heavy colour cast on edges, bad corners, awful chromatic aberration.

Agreed and expected. But for the price, and also considering that one is not as likely to use this for landscape and application of appropriate profiles being able to take of issues mentioned above, I don't mind at all dropping $760 for the heck of it. Let's just say that this lens is $5,000 (still less than half of Noctilux), it would be a no brainer for me NOT to buy it. 

Here are a first few shots with the TTartisan 50mm 0.95:

The B&Ws are jpegs sooc (M9) and the colours are raw converted in Lightroom without any post.

On flickr: https://flickr.com/photos/21145512@N04/sets/72157715111456506

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Dr No said:

Good review? It didn’t say much at all apart from sharp in the centre, and these are the aberrations that you can solve with my colour profile that you can buy!! That was no review, that was a quick look at the lens shortcomings.

4 hours ago, Gobert said:

So again people are getting excited about Chinese crap, just because it is cheap.

Isn’t it interesting how quickly some people rush to criticise and put down these products just because they are not Leica or not bloody expensive?

Yes, it’s a lot cheaper than other options, but it’s not as cheap as the rest of their range and has a lot of technology thrown at the optics. It seems to be performing admirably from Munik’s pictures, and I don’t see the colour shift there. Maybe it’s a good lens? And God forbid, a good lens at a good price? Is that something to feel threatened by?

2 hours ago, Munik said:

Here are a first few shots with the TTartisan 50mm 0.95:

The B&Ws are jpegs sooc (M9) and the colours are raw converted in Lightroom without any post.

On flickr: https://flickr.com/photos/21145512@N04/sets/72157715111456506

Thanks for the pictures! Nice shots and nice to see how it renders. Did you notice any colour vignetting In your files?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

Thanks for the pictures! Nice shots and nice to see how it renders. Did you notice any colour vignetting In your files

No Color vignetting on my sample.

There a lot of vignetting at 0.95 but this is expected for this lens, the Noctilux is the same.

Some Purple fringing on high contrast areas, again expected and slightly less than my CV 35 1.2. From the samples of the Noctilux on Flickr very similar also. Some LoCA on the bokeh as well, more difficult to correct but this is moderate, I don’t know how the Noctilux performs there.

It is sharp in the center even at 0.95, sharper than my CV 35 1.2 which was very surprising! The Extreme corner are much softer and do get better when stopping down for those who like to  pixel peep it is noticeable.

Now the bokeh rendering is fabulous, one of the very best rendering I’ve ever seeing in a lens and up there with the Canon 135L, one of my other favorites in this department. It is buttery smooth and never busy. The 0.95 aperture makes the background vanish magically!

I love the rendering and honestly it is virtually indistinguishable from the Noctilux samples that are available in abundance on Flickr. The Noctilux is problably sharper and better in the corners. Better corrected for chromatic aberrations (not even sure given the high amont of purple fringing that is visible). Better built, etc... But think that as soon as you open the box it looses value equal to this TTArtisan lens!

But in the end the TTArtisan deliver on the rendering so fair play to them for that. Let’s see on the long term our it behaves.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Munik said:

No Color vignetting on my sample.

There a lot of vignetting at 0.95 but this is expected for this lens, the Noctilux is the same.

Some Purple fringing on high contrast areas, again expected and slightly less than my CV 35 1.2. From the samples of the Noctilux on Flickr very similar also. Some LoCA on the bokeh as well, more difficult to correct but this is moderate, I don’t know how the Noctilux performs there.

It is sharp in the center even at 0.95, sharper than my CV 35 1.2 which was very surprising! The Extreme corner are much softer and do get better when stopping down for those who like to  pixel peep it is noticeable.

Now the bokeh rendering is fabulous, one of the very best rendering I’ve ever seeing in a lens and up there with the Canon 135L, one of my other favorites in this department. It is buttery smooth and never busy. The 0.95 aperture makes the background vanish magically!

I love the rendering and honestly it is virtually indistinguishable from the Noctilux samples that are available in abundance on Flickr. The Noctilux is problably sharper and better in the corners. Better corrected for chromatic aberrations (not even sure given the high amont of purple fringing that is visible). Better built, etc... But think that as soon as you open the box it looses value equal to this TTArtisan lens!

But in the end the TTArtisan deliver on the rendering so fair play to them for that. Let’s see on the long term our it behaves.

Why don't you post some images to demonstrate your claims? :)