Pixii : A new M mount rangefinder

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I agree with you. They made a mistake by confusing base length and EBL. They are not equal. 
Even 49.2mm base length seems generous. If accurate Pixii has 49.2mm x 0.68 = 33.46mm EBL only. 

Indeed they seem to have mistaken MBL (Mechanical Base Length) for EBL (Effective Base Length). On basis of 49.2 MBL and 0.67x spec'd magnification, the Pixii's EBL should be 32.96mm. It would be the worse result of all digital rangefinders IINW, even the R-D1 would do better (38.20mm). Now all f/1.4 and slower 28mm to 50mm lenses should focus accurately on the Pixii. I mean on average magnification basis. Pixel peeping on 100% crops is another story.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, setuporg said:

Of course y'all realize the only way to really find out is to get one, right?:)

Almost. My only way to find out will be for you to get one and for me to read your review on the LUF :D.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lct said:

Indeed they seem to have mistaken MBL (Mechanical Base Length) for EBL (Effective Base Length). On basis of 49.2 MBL and 0.67x spec'd magnification, the Pixii's EBL should be 32.96mm. It would be the worse result of all digital rangefinders IINW, even the R-D1 would do better (38.20mm). Now all f/1.4 and slower 28mm to 50mm lenses should focus accurately on the Pixii. I mean on average magnification basis. Pixel peeping on 100% crops is another story.

I think that they said that EBL is 49.2mm because it got the equivalent of 1x viewfinder when converted from APS-C to full frame. 
So 49.2mm x 1 = 49.2mm 

Is it a valid maths ? I am not sure. Maybe. Maybe not. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, lct said:

+1. It was the Bessa R4M but its VF magnification was reduced to 0.52x if memory serves. By comparison my R-D1 with similar body has a 1:1 built-in VF but cannot frame 21mm lenses with it. It has only 28/35/50 frame lines instead of 28/35/40/50 for the Pixii. Good idea to have added 40mm BTW.

I think that both R-D1 & Pixii have the same viewfinder 1x in APS-C terms = 0.68x in full frame world. 
Hence the same 28-35-50mm frame lines 

40 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I think that they said that EBL is 49.2mm because it got the equivalent of 1x viewfinder when converted from APS-C to full frame. 
So 49.2mm x 1 = 49.2mm 

Is it a valid maths ? I am not sure. Maybe. Maybe not. 

Sounds like you're disturbed by that darned question of "equivalence"... A 1:1 VF is a VF with 100% magnification. Allows you to shoot both eyes open, better so than with the 0.91x VF of the M3. You cannot do that with any other VF be it 0.91x, 0.85x, 0.73x, 0.72x, 0.55x, 0.68x or 0.67x a la Pixii. Such 100% magnification allows also the rangefinder of the R-D1 to have a longer EBL than that of the Pixii in spite of its smaller mechanical length. Got it?

On 7/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, CharlesL said:

It is APS-C. I see only one major difference from mounting M-lenses on a Fuji X-Pro or even a Fuji XE camera: you really, really want a rangefinder mechanism. The pixel dimensions are less than the Fuji X-Pro 2.

I do, I do, you do, we all do!  Who doesn't, except the Q/SL folks?  And those poor lost EVF souls know, deep in their hearts, that OVF is the heart of Leica.  Unadulterated light coming through the glass you can enjoy as our illustrious ancestors did and artisanal descendants will.:). Realistically M or S is what Leica loves, and the rest it indulges.  You can see it by the character of the M and S forums vs all others.  OVF forever!

On 7/6/2020 at 5:04 PM, jaapv said:

The marketing is slanted to taking images to put on your phone. Which begs the question: why not just use the phone and leave the camera at home?

RF without LCD reminds me of Edition 60/M-D, although it's closest to M10-D.  Many of those who wanted to have the cake and eat it too with M10-D complained that FOTOS is too slow to see the photos.  Pixii says it's immediate.  So you'd have a screenless camera and the choice to pick the phone and look at it is yours.  Most folks carry the phone anyways.  I think the idea is brilliant, although I wish it progresses to FF.

Edited by setuporg

vor 15 Minuten schrieb setuporg:

I do, I do, you do, we all do!  Who doesn't, except the Q/SL folks?  And those poor lost EVF souls know, deep in their hearts, that OVF is the heart of Leica.  Unadulterated light coming through the glass you can enjoy as our illustrious ancestors did and artisanal descendants will.:). Realistically M or S is what Leica loves, and the rest it indulges.  You can see it by the character of the M and S forums vs all others.  OVF forever!

So a mirrorflex camera must be an OVF camera too. The user does not look at a TV screen. It is possible, that this principle leads to a better range finding. For certain starting from a focal length of 90 or 135 mm and upwards.

Edited by jankap

15 minutes ago, setuporg said:

RF without LCD reminds me of Edititoin 60/M-D, although it;s closest to M10-D.  Many of those who wanted to have the cake and eat it too with M10-D complained that FOTOS is too slow to see the photos.  Pixii says it's immediate.  So you'd have a screenless camera and the choice to pick the phone and look at it is yours.  Most folks carry the phone anyways.  I think the idea is brilliant, although I wish it progresses to FF.

Brilliant idea indeed. Alo LCT? LCT here... LCT speaking... Want to watch my/your photos?... Sure dude but how can i/we do that?... Simple use your smartphone!... But what are we/you doing now?... Too late the lack of SD card is full... :D. Just kidding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

I have three M cameras - and have owned about each and every M since my first M3. I turns out that my daily go-to camera is the CL. So thanks for the non-compliment on my photography.

• Haha 1

@jaapv I shoot Q2 and SL2 as well a M and S systems, and X1D outside of Leica, but every time I get back to M or S I feel better.  The only reason I need SL2 for something nobody else has is the movie capability (for kids while they are small), paired with IBIS it's fantastic, and no need to carry a separate photo and video setups.  Same for Q2.  The output is certainly great for all Leica systems, and I'm speaking a bit facetiously of course.

Edited by setuporg