Pixii : A new M mount rangefinder

IkarusJohn

16 minutes ago, Ecar said:

It would be great to attract a younger crowd to RF photography, but at this price level and with those specs, I predict they will be out of business sooner rather than later. I hope I'm wrong, though...

Concerning when they will be out of businesses is perhaps too ahead. I wonder when they will be in business!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, stephen.w said:

But surely also the rangefinder? 

A rangefinder, as an opto-mechanical way of focusing a lens, is just a means to an end, not an attraction in itself. The interesting question is why they chose a RF design over AF: I guess it minimises power requirements, eliminates the need to bargain with the owners of IP for proprietary AF interfaces, but at the cost of getting the precision engineering and manufacture of the RF mechanism right. With no LCD/Liveview and no electro-mechanical shutter, I wonder how long the battery lasts.

How many other APS-C sensors are there with a global shutter?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

A rangefinder, as an opto-mechanical way of focusing a lens, is just a means to an end, not an attraction in itself. The interesting question is why they chose a RF design over AF: I guess it minimises power requirements, eliminates the need to bargain with the owners of IP for proprietary AF interfaces, but at the cost of getting the precision engineering and manufacture of the RF mechanism right. With no LCD/Liveview and no electro-mechanical shutter, I wonder how long the battery lasts.

I do think it is a different 'way of seeing', and in that sense an attraction in itself, but can also see why you and others might prefer mirrorless EVF only cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, stephen.w said:

I do think it is a different 'way of seeing', and in that sense an attraction in itself, but can also see why you and others might prefer mirrorless EVF only cameras

Mirrorless EVF is not the only alternative to a camera with a rangefinder. You can have an optical viewfinder and no EVF, and still have autofocus (plenty of film cameras were designed that way). Rangefinder is just the focus mechanism, not the viewing mechanism.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

Concerning when they will be out of businesses is perhaps too ahead. I wonder when they will be in business!

It's true that there has been talk about this for what, 2 or 3 years now. Just a few days ago I was reading a post about it being vapourware.

Now it's here and the standard model is sold out and the "launch" model is "limited availability"... presumably they had a first run of more than just a few units, so that's not bad, especially at that price!

The more makers are out there, the better for everyone, so let's hope they do very well!

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 53 Minuten schrieb LocalHero1953:

A rangefinder, as an opto-mechanical way of focusing a lens, is just a means to an end, not an attraction in itself.

It's not? I was attracted to rangefinders the last 20 years because of the wrong reason? OMG. Have to throw myself behind a train now.....

Seriously. For me personally the rangefinder mechanism is the main reason why I use rangefinder cameras (135 and 120 film)

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Einst_Stein:

That is irrelevant. It’s selling point is the iPhone connectivity. 

So it's a niche within a niche when you consider the 75% marketshare of android smartphones.

Edit: it's also for Android.....

Edited by tom.w.bn

The PIXII's sensor stack is thinner than Fuji's hopefully. Problem (among others) is the short base length of the rangefinder. 50/1.4 lenses should fit more or less though. The RD1 had the same issues in 2004 but it had SD cards and a reversible display then. Thanks no thanks but good luck for the continuation :).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

9 minutes ago, farnz said:

Hi didn't start this thread, which was clearly what I referred to.

Pete.

Obviously.  See smiley face. (Old discussion was restarted Saturday with recent news.)  The point was that the product has taken two years to materialize (from similar rumors).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, tom.w.bn said:

It's not? I was attracted to rangefinders the last 20 years because of the wrong reason? OMG. Have to throw myself behind a train now.....

Seriously. For me personally the rangefinder mechanism is the main reason why I use rangefinder cameras (135 and 120 film)

You are truly special!