Overturning lens upon mounting

Casey Jefferson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day!

Sorry for another rather newbie question. I managed to overturn the lens when I was mounting it and it was probably due to my finger accidentally pressing the lens release button and allow the lens to turn past it's normal position. There was a sense of tightness and I realized the mistake.

The mechanism is fine, purely just user error, but will that cause any problem? I'm imagining Leica wouldn't design the mount to be damaged by overturning the lens. Searching the forum came up pretty limited resources with only one thread and a member suggested it will not cause any damage (over/under turning to call up different frame line). At the point I can't help but to ask this question. Please bear with my paranoia 😳

35 minutes ago, Ecar said:

That's OK. No worries.

Thank you! Upon more reading, seems like the 35mm cron I have has the shortest "wings" on the flange which allows some overturn which passes through 50mm and reaching 28mm frame line. So much to learn about using a Leica than the those modern mirrorless. 😆

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Casey Jefferson said:

Thank you! Upon more reading, seems like the 35mm cron I have has the shortest "wings" on the flange which allows some overturn which passes through 50mm and reaching 28mm frame line. So much to learn about using a Leica than the those modern mirrorless. 😆

Actually, there is much less to learn about using an old manual Leica than a modern digital camera. The instruction manuals are short and simple and as long as you understand the basic relationships of exposure (ISO, aperture and shutter speed) you're 99% there. The rest is in the photographer's eye and technical skill set. Enjoy your "new" camera.

• Like 1

I don't think overturning will cause damage to the camera or the lens.  In some cases (the MATE comes to mind), overturning might cause an error (or fix an error!) in the frame line selection mechanism, but turning the lens back to the proper locked position should remedy the problem.

Edited by onasj
  • Thanks 1

I use Nikon for 30+ years, Nikon and Leica are the opposite direction to mount/ummount therefore it happens to me - a lot.   It has become a muscle memory that I know it's not easy to avoid, I build up a new habit to have a very soft initial rotation so if it happens the harm is minimal. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spydrxx said:

Actually, there is much less to learn about using an old manual Leica than a modern digital camera. The instruction manuals are short and simple and as long as you understand the basic relationships of exposure (ISO, aperture and shutter speed) you're 99% there. The rest is in the photographer's eye and technical skill set. Enjoy your "new" camera.

I have never heard lenses with different mount measurement for frame lines 🤣 it is something very new to me!

And I love to have gone back to the basic of photography too, like driving with stick again after years with auto transmission.

2 hours ago, onasj said:

I don't think overturning will cause damage to the camera or the lens.  In some cases (the MATE comes to mind), overturning might cause an error (or fix an error!) in the frame line selection mechanism, but turning the lens back to the proper locked position should remedy the problem.

Well I can only imagine how daunting Leica trying to deal with the frame lines!

And thanks for the replies guys! Love this community! 😆

1 hour ago, Casey Jefferson said:

I have never heard lenses with different mount measurement for frame lines 🤣 it is something very new to me!

And thanks for the replies guys! Love this community! 😆

There is a little cam on the lens mount that moves a switch. The switch moves one of three little masks with the frameline cutouts into place. Each mask has two framelines on it.

• Thanks 1

vor 23 Stunden schrieb onasj:

"Overturning" the lens was even recommended by Leica for users of 135mm lenses on the M8 (which had no frames for 135mm). So you could activate the frames for 90mm which came closest to your field of view.

When the  M (240) was presented without a manual frame selector they said you could use the trick of overturning to look for other frames.

So it's at least "semi official" that overturning doesn't not do any harm. 

• Thanks 1