The Leica T 18-56mm f / 3.5-5.6 ASPH, is versatile.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Comparing the quality of the price, I think it is the best that can be bought today for TL and CL cameras.

I miss being brighter (f2 ... or less).

Do you share this thanks? ...

I bought the second hand T18-56 on Ebay to go to TL2 and for a low price and chose the one with signs of wear and tear from use. Now I have extra money and I wanted to invest in this series. I had thought about buying a new or almost new TL 18-56.

The one I have now should sell it, and sorry, it works wonderfully. (Only signs of wear are seen from use.)

What advice can you offer me? ...

Thank you very much.

Unless the condition really bothers you, and it works flawlessly, save your money.

Regarding its slow starting aperture, remember the design is a compromise. A faster lens would be disproportionately larger. It is far better for you to add a TL prime lens, or an adapter for M lenses and search for some low cost oldies which work very well. See other threads on this aspect. An early 35mm or 50mm Summicron work wonderfully and give you better low-light performance.

Remember to explore higher ISO settings in low light. Experiment and discover the limits which work for you.

• Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Dopaco:

Comparing the quality of the price, I think it is the best that can be bought today for TL and CL cameras.

I miss being brighter (f2 ... or less).

Do you share this thanks? ...

I bought the second hand T18-56 on Ebay to go to TL2 and for a low price and chose the one with signs of wear and tear from use. Now I have extra money and I wanted to invest in this series. I had thought about buying a new or almost new TL 18-56.

The one I have now should sell it, and sorry, it works wonderfully. (Only signs of wear are seen from use.)

What advice can you offer me? ...

Thank you very much.

I concur with this. I started out with a 23 Summicron TL a few years ago, but soon realised  that it was the 18-56 mm TL I needed most. I still think it is the most practical and versatile setup. Add an Elpro 52 and you get outstanding macro, too. It is up to your preference whether or not you need a newer one in better condition. Otherwise, same as @wda. The 35 mm Summilux TL is a brilliant lens, but heavy and prone to flare. The 60 mm Apo-Macro f2.8 is the best of the bunch, but may not provide the focal length you need. The 11-23 mm TL is a very good performer, but not as versatile as the 18-56 mm Vario. I am not so fond of the Summicron TL, but this is a matter of taste. I dislike the 30 mm equivalent.

Edited by EUSe

1 hour ago, wda said:

. A faster lens would be disproportionately larger.

Indeed. Summilux 24 M 995 grams... (I don't mind a used look, as I tend to use my gear. ;) )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Save your money and add another lens. I have the 18-56 and it’s a great all purpose lens. I would add something like the pancake 18mm or 23mm if you prefer autofocus. And has been said there’s a vast army of pre owned manual focus M lenses out there looking for a good home.

Thanks to everyone for the tips.
After listening to the tips, I will continue with 18-56.
In the meantime, I'll think about where to spend the money saved.
This is what the 18-56 looks like on the TL2, I cut the visor, as shown in the photo.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the 18-56 is a great lens; the first "kit zoom" in any system that I really like - the size vs performance ratio is spot on.

I find the 28 Summicron very rewarding when something faster is needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EUSe said:

Estoy de acuerdo con esto Comencé con un TL 23 Summicron hace unos años, pero pronto me di cuenta de que era el TL de 18-56 mm que más necesitó. Todavía creo que es la configuración más práctica y versátil. Agregue un Elpro 52 y solicite una macro excelente también. Depende de su preferencia si necesita o no uno nuevo en mejores condiciones. De lo contrario, igual que@wda. La Summilux TL de 35 mm es una lente brillante, pero pesada y propensa a destellos. El Apo-Macro f2.8 de 60 mm es el mejor del grupo, pero no puede proporcionar la distancia focal que necesita. El TL de 11-23 mm es muy bueno, pero no tan versátil como el Vario de 18-56 mm. No soy tan aficionado al Summicron TL, pero esto es cuestión de gustos. No me gusta el equivalente de 30 mm.

@ EUSe  

I have Leica Elpro 2, with a 55 to 52 adapter ring, which is the step for TL2.

I think the Epro 52 should fulfill the same functions, only that it is designed with a 52mm pitch, which is that it has TL and
CL.

Is that so or is there any other improved difference in favor of the Elpro 52? ...

vor 58 Minuten schrieb Dopaco:

@ EUSe  

I have Leica Elpro 2, with a 55 to 52 adapter ring, which is the step for TL2.

I think the Epro 52 should fulfill the same functions, only that it is designed with a 52mm pitch, which is that it has TL and
CL.

Is that so or is there any other improved difference in favor of the Elpro 52? ...

I don't know the Elpro 2, but I think there should not be much difference. 

El 6/7/2020 a las 17:45, FrozenInTime dijo:

Sí, la 18-56 es una gran lente; el primer "zoom de kit" en cualquier sistema que realmente me gusta: la relación tamaño / rendimiento es perfecta.

Encuentro el 28 Summicron muy gratificante cuando se necesita algo más rápido.

¿Supongo que solo funcionará en modo Manual?
¿Cómo funciona en retratos?

Es equivalente a 42 mm en TL2.

Tengo Elmarit 28, f2, que siempre llevo en mi Leica M8 y que equivale a cerca de 50 mm, 46,48 mm. No recuerdo haberlo probado en TL2. Es algo que aún tengo que hacer.

Edited by Dopaco

On 7/10/2020 at 12:28 PM, jaapv said:

Please, English.  This is a worldwide forum.

Again, Google has failed me.

With the help of a Google translator, I translate what I mean from Spanish to English. The translation that it gives me in English is the one that I put in the forum, what happens is that since I configured it so that all the pages translate them into Spanish and if I do not deactivate that function, it does the opposite again. translates it into Spanish

Thanks for letting me know and sorry for the mistakes.

The phrase I wanted to say and according to Google translator is this:

"I suppose it only works in manual mode?
How does it work in portraits?

It is equivalent to 42mm in TL2.

I have Elmarit 28, f2, which I always carry on my Leica M8 and is equivalent to about 50mm, 46.48mm. I don't recall trying it on TL2. It's something I still have to do. "..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dopaco said:

Again, Google has failed me.

With the help of a Google translator, I translate what I mean from Spanish to English. The translation that it gives me in English is the one that I put in the forum, what happens is that since I configured it so that all the pages translate them into Spanish and if I do not deactivate that function, it does the opposite again. translates it into Spanish

Thanks for letting me know and sorry for the mistakes.

The phrase I wanted to say and according to Google translator is this:

"I suppose it only works in manual mode?
How does it work in portraits?

It is equivalent to 42mm in TL2.

I have Elmarit 28, f2, which I always carry on my Leica M8 and is equivalent to about 50mm, 46.48mm. I don't recall trying it on TL2. It's something I still have to do. "..

Dopaco, yes it's worth tying .

The 42mm equivalent view works well for across the table distances , but needs care as manual focusing on moving people with the TL2 is tricky even with the Visoflex.

The lens will  have a narrower view on the TL2 than the M8 ; 1.5x vs 1.3x crop ~ 36mm.

Donald.

I'm with the rest of you on this: really like the 18-56. Standard lens on the CL, pretty much can do most walking around with just this. Managed to take landscape shots of Parc Luxembourg early in the AM with this, print to 22" wide and be pretty happy. Couldn't go bigger (run out of pixels), but that's pretty satisfying.