Panasonic 50mm 1.4 on a SL2

futura

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the panasonic 50mm 1.4 and was wondering if someone who has tried the 50mm on a SL2 might comment on how they have found the autofocus speed (compared with the 35 / 75 sl summicron). The extra stops is pretty important for me for low light shooting.

The autofocus on the SL 601 (1st version) seems to be quick.  (Certainly the Panasonic lens autofocuses much faster than the SL 50 1.4).

I cannot comment as to how it would perform on the SL2. 

Rob

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 3:32 AM, ropo54 said:

The autofocus on the SL 601 (1st version) seems to be quick.  (Certainly the Panasonic lens autofocuses much faster than the SL 50 1.4).

I cannot comment as to how it would perform on the SL2. 

Rob

Yes, I have exactly the same experience. I have not tested on SL2, but on Panasonic S1R the Panasonic lens focuses much faster. Optically, they are more or less similar I would say. I actually own both lenses now and will do a proper comparison in a while.  

• Like 3

The lens arrived last week, I had a chance to photograph at kids birthday party over the weekend and I would say the focus speed is comparable to my 35 / 75 SL native lenses. Will post some pictures later for anyone that might be interested in the the SL2 / Panasonic 50mm combo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, futura said:

The lens arrived last week, I had a chance to photograph at kids birthday party over the weekend and I would say the focus speed is comparable to my 35 / 75 SL native lenses. Will post some pictures later for anyone that might be interested in the the SL2 / Panasonic 50mm combo.

I am interested in your results and opinion.  Thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First set of samples. As mentioned I found the focus quite snappy. I also particularly like the colour rendering of the lens, the one shot inside with the lego has had little editing. The shot from outside, definitely has a nice micro contrast (although as expected with that scene, focus was not super sharp given 3 subjects / wide open), but I love the rendering.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had some more time with this lens and its definitely becoming one of my fav for model shoots. A few more pics to share

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3