Help customizing function FN button on Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone help? I'd like to use the FN button to choose profiles (and the have profiles for different focus and exposure modes). Since updating to the latest FW I can't do it. The FN button ALWAYS defaults to self-timer, which I never use. I've tried press-hold the FN button, which allows me to scroll to the profiles, but I want it just to go straight to profiles. Customizing the FN button through the main menu, I turned off EVERYTHING except profiles, but they still all appear with press-hold and a single press ALWAYS goes to self-timer. 

Very frustrating!

11 hours ago, gotium said:

Customizing the FN button through the main menu, I turned off EVERYTHING except profiles, but they still all appear with press-hold and a single press ALWAYS goes to self-timer. 

Maybe it's this, if you turn everything off but profiles, then when you press FN, self-timer comes up, your changes aren't being saved.  I found I was changing the menu then at some point, leaving the profile.  When I went back into the original profile, the change wasn't there.  You need to save the user profile after you make the change to the menu but before you leave your existing profile

Edited by LeonD

8 hours ago, jimbn said:
It must be fairly simple. Hold down the Fn button for longer to open the selection menu. The second bottom line is User Profile select that with the arrow wheel, press the central button and the case is done.

But then the next time I use the FN button (short press) it goes to self timer. I want it to go to User Profile with a short press

5 hours ago, LeonD said:

Maybe it's this, if you turn everything off but profiles, then when you press FN, self-timer comes up, your changes aren't being saved.  I found I was changing the menu then at some point, leaving the profile.  When I went back into the original profile, the change wasn't there.  You need to save the user profile after you make the change to the menu but before you leave your existing profile

Do you mean save the fact that I’ve turned off everything else in the “customize FN button” menu? I though that happened automatically on backing out of the menu?

2 minutes ago, gotium said:

Do you mean save the fact that I’ve turned off everything else in the “customize FN button” menu? I though that happened automatically on backing out of the menu?

No -- it doesn't happen automatically. You have to press the center button to the right of the LCD screen to lock it in. If you press the FN button as you would "enter" it won't save the change. In fact, it will simply bring up the FN button's current function -- which is self timer. Try pressing the center button on the directional pad to lock in your setting.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, leicameech said:

No -- it doesn't happen automatically. You have to press the center button to the right of the LCD screen to lock it in. If you press the FN button as you would "enter" it won't save the change. In fact, it will simply bring up the FN button's current function -- which is self timer. Try pressing the center button on the directional pad to lock in your setting.

Oh, and if that works, save your now-current settings as your profile(s)!

Thank you all for the replies! 

Still can't get it to work though. I can get to the profiles option with the long hold on the FN button, but after I have done that once, the short hold ALWAYS defaults back to self timer...Leica really wants me to use the self-timer function.

Is "Self Timer" selected on the display? If so, select another/add another function to the FN list. Then pressed the central button and go to Main Menu 4 > Customize Control > FN Button > Self Timer: Off. 

Edited by Le Chef

• 1 year later...

I was having the same issue as the OP.  It turns out the FN button action is part of the individual User Profile.  If you set the FN button to what you want and then save a user profile it will stick.  On a side note, it appears an active self timer cannot be assigned to a user profile.

Edited by ben446

15 hours ago, ben446 said:

I was having the same issue as the OP.  It turns out the FN button action is part of the individual User Profile.  If you set the FN button to what you want and then save a user profile it will stick.  On a side note, it appears an active self timer cannot be assigned to a user profile.

I have a user profile for when I use the Q2 on a tripod. The camera lets me save a 2sec self timer to the profile. Is that what you were having trouble with?

6 minutes ago, ianforber said:

I have a user profile for when I use the Q2 on a tripod. The camera lets me save a 2sec self timer to the profile. Is that what you were having trouble with?

Yes - when I try and set the timer to a profile, it turns it on for all the profiles.

Irritatingly, it seems to have stopped working on mine too. I could swear it worked before. Not now. Best I can do is make the Fn button the self timer in that profile so that a quick press of that button lets you choose whether to switch it on and whether to go for a 2s or 12s delay. Grrr…