Need help for info on my black leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there, 

my name is Wim, I’m from the Netherlands and I am new on this forum. I came here because i bought a Old black leica camera in a thriftstore. 

I got curious about the name of the model, if i can make it work, it’s value, and if i could clean and (if needed) repair it myself or if its better to bring it to an expert. I already did some research on the forum but i couldnt find my exact model and lens. 

Here are some pictures. I hope you can help me out with some info!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Wim de Boer

Nice find!  It looks like it is in decent shape. Send it to Kamera Service in Zoetermeer to have it cleaned and adjusted by Will van Manen.

https://www.cameraquest.com/ltmcam.htm

https://www.kamera-service.info/index.php/en/

It would not be a good idea to  attempt to work on it  yourself without knowledge, although they are not really very complicated, you will need some expert knowledge and access to parts if needed. It is too valuable  (not thousands-valuable, but still well in the hundreds of Euros when in good shape) to destroy it.

• Like 1

From the serial, it can be deducted that your Leica was initially produced as a Leica I in 1930. It was later transformed as a Leica II, the only not original part being the flash socket at lower front (left on the first photo). The Summar lens was probably produced in 1937, but the filters, and possibly the shade are not orginal but will fit the lens. The lens cap is original. And finally, the ERC (Ever-Ready Case) is either not original, either (badly) transformed and has an opening corresponding to the camera's flash socket. These remarks are for historical/collection reason only, and not presume of the practical utility of the Leica, that seems in relatively good shape and a good starting point to discover Leica qualities.

• Like 4

Here is a more detailed picture from the filters and shade

Edited by Wim de Boer

On 7/4/2020 at 11:51 AM, Wim de Boer said:

Here is a more detailed picture from the filters and shade

I have been misled in my commentary about filters and shade by the then available photo. Based on the above,  I can confirm that both filters and shade are authentic Leitz-produced items. Filters are probably yellow slip-on FILBY (if marked 1) and FILGE (2). The shade is a FOOKH designed for 35mm lenses Elmar and Summaron; it could fit your Elmar 5cm, but would give a limited protection.

Beste groeten van een (zeer) oud waalse Belg levend sedert 1993 in Zuid Portugal.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, Pecole said:

I have been misled in my commentary about filters and shade by the then available photo. Based on the above,  I can confirm that both filters and shade are authentic Leitz-produced items. Filters are probably yellow slip-on FILBY (if marked 1) and FILGE (2). The shade is a FOOKH designed for 35mm lenses Elmar and Summaron; it could fit your Elmar 5cm, but would give a limited protection.

Beste groeten van een (zeer) oud waalse Belg levend sedert 1993 in Zuid Portugal.

Thanks for your new response!

You are saying ‘yellow slip-on FILBY (if marked 1).’ I suppose you mean the number noted on the filter? The full yellow filter is marked with a ‘0’, not a ‘1’. On the half yellow filter there isn’t any marked number. Would this mean that it is an other filter then you suggested?

Beste groeten van een jonge zuid hollander geboren in het jaar toen u naar portugal vertrok;) 

On 7/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, Wim de Boer said:

Thanks for your new response!

You are saying ‘yellow slip-on FILBY (if marked 1).’ I suppose you mean the number noted on the filter? The full yellow filter is marked with a ‘0’, not a ‘1’. On the half yellow filter there isn’t any marked number. Would this mean that it is an other filter then you suggested?

Beste groeten van een jonge zuid hollander geboren in het jaar toen u naar portugal vertrok;) 

Since no number was visible on the filters, I proposed "1 Light yellow" as the most common; the code of the "very light yellow" (0) is FIUNS. The "half yellow" (or "Graduated yellow") appeared later and is coded FIRAD, or 13030 when numerical coding appeared.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:15 PM, rfaspen said:

Lens in photos is a summar, not elmar, but the A36 filters and hood will all work as noted.

A beautiful camera, except for the flash sync hack....

I've seen far worse flash sync conversions. This one looks rather well done.

Flash sockets which are in vulcanite may be removed pretty easily. And using original vulcanite the hole may be patched with almost no sign. Much worse are sockets placed in top cover, whatever you’ll do you will see where it was