Made in China Summicron Replica or Summicron?

Raid Amin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1. f/2.8 1/90

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2. f/4.8 1/30

3. f/9.5 1/8

4. f/4.8 1/125

5. f/9.5 1/45

6.  f/13 1/8

7. f/4.8 1/180

8. f/4 1/250

9. f/6.7 1/90

10. f/13 1/125

11. f/27 1/6

12.  f/2.4 1/250

13. f/4 1/90

14. f/8 1/125

15. f/2.8 1/250

16. f/4.8 1/90

17. f/8 1/25

18. f/3.4 1/250

19. f/6.7 1/90

20. f/13 1/25

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Too soft to be Chinese :D. 7art 35/2 @ f/2:

It would make more sense to compare with the Japanese replica, such as Voigtlsndet. Every non-Leica relics can claim it is very close to Leica but with orders of magnitude price difference. 

But what is “close”? What does it mean “90% of Leica performance”?  No body knows.

The made in Japan Zeiss ZM  repkcas in significant inferior to Leica in the built quality. My 50mm, 35mm, and 25mm all built backlash just a couple of years. How is it in 7artisans or TTartisans is yet to see. The optical performance, ignoring the size and weight, feels better than Voigtlsndet but I am yet to see someone with better knowledge and evaluation expertise to publish the comparisons. Focusing accuracy would be a concern in the past, EVF makes it less a problem now but I still I’ll an indicator of quality, for example.

I doubt any in this forum Cares how much difference when compared to LEica,  The real interests is what is available with affordable price that makes sense and which to choose,

On 7/10/2020 at 10:13 AM, Einst_Stein said:

It would make more sense to compare with the Japanese replica, such as Voigtlsndet. Every non-Leica relics can claim it is very close to Leica but with orders of magnitude price difference. 

But what is “close”? What does it mean “90% of Leica performance”?  No body knows.

The made in Japan Zeiss ZM  repkcas in significant inferior to Leica in the built quality. My 50mm, 35mm, and 25mm all built backlash just a couple of years. How is it in 7artisans or TTartisans is yet to see. The optical performance, ignoring the size and weight, feels better than Voigtlsndet but I am yet to see someone with better knowledge and evaluation expertise to publish the comparisons. Focusing accuracy would be a concern in the past, EVF makes it less a problem now but I still I’ll an indicator of quality, for example.

I doubt any in this forum Cares how much difference when compared to LEica,  The real interests is what is available with affordable price that makes sense and which to choose,

I have original Seagull mechanical watches for 100 USD. They are copy of some expensive watches. They works. But feel is not the same as Movado watches I also have.

The eight element copy is interesting. It looks very faithful to the original. I had the original - a 1965 version - which I bought for a modest sum back in 1998. It didn't seem to be regarded as such a special lens back then. It was just a very cheap alternative to the 35 Summicron ASPH. Sold it for four times as much in 2011, and now they're going for TEN times what I paid originally for mine. I could never afford to buy one now. 

But the thing about that eight-element Summicron was the way it was built - like a bank vault. It was precisely made. I replaced my eight-element with the latest 35 Summilux ASPH FLE. Over the years, that thing practically fell apart. It rattled, the aperture ring spun freely with barely a detent, and eventually the focus ring started jamming before it got anywhere near infinity. I had to send it back to the factory. They fixed all that, for a price. It's a good lens now but, in my opinion it's optically brilliant, but not built the way the old Leitz lenses were.

These Chinese copies are improving in leaps and bounds. I wonder where this new eight-element copy sits on the build quality spectrum..

Edited by colint544

On 7/11/2020 at 9:49 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

I have original Seagull mechanical watches for 100 USD. They are copy of some expensive watches. They works. But feel is not the same as Movado watches I also have.

I had Seiko watch made in Japan, similar feeling.

That is long time ago. It is far far remote. I feel the new Seiko is no worse than Movadi, if not better. 

Move on!

On 7/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Einst_Stein said:

Sean Reid has published comparisons in various focal lengths in the past, including Zeiss and Voigtländer lenses. In some cases they outperformed the Leica offerings.

• Thanks 1