Sigma 24-105mm ƒ/4 DG OS HSM “A” on SL2

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being without the zoom lenses I'm planning to use on the SL2 (Canon L 24-70 f2.8 mkII and Canon L 70-200 f2.8 mkiii which are down in London) I was stuck in Kendal without any AF zooms to play with (the Canon things I had at home here have gone up to Ffordes).  I saw a used Sigma 24-105 Art for £399 and thought why not?  And do you know, I'm pleasantly surprised!  The good news is (combined with the Sigma MC-21 adapter) that:

• AF-S works really quickly
  • Face / Body recognition AF work well
  • IS works VERY well - clean shots across the zoom range at silly shutter speeds - e.g. 1/20
  • Vignetting at 24mm wasn't noticable and corner sharpness was acceptable
  • Centre sharpness is good (more difficult to see here as I was shooting a computer monitor!)
  • Handling feels solid and the weight is balanced nicely on the SL2
  • The images I'm getting on a VERY wet Cumbrian morning hold up well.  A very simple hand held test shot of my desk in P mode with Auto Iso at 24 and 105 and showing centre and edge crops is given below. 

Conclusion

If you're stuck for a mid range zoom and don't want to / can't afford the SL 24-90 (at least £2800 used), this isn't a bad option!

24mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

CORNER

CENTRE

CORNER

CENTRE

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey - it's still raining.  Cumbria!

I thought it might be of interest to compare the Sigma 24-105 at its extremes with the M 135 f.4 Apo-telyt and WATE (@21mm) - two lenses I'm REALLY liking on the SL2.  And I think the Sigma lens bears up pretty well - especially given the price!  The LR Profile for the Sigma seems to over correct for vignetting, but this can be fixed easily. 

Looking at the crops, in terms of micro detail, I'd say the Leica 135 wins by a small margin - but it's a >£3,000 prime!

105 v 135

SIGMA

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

LEICA

SIGMA

LEICA

LEICA 135 (CROP)

SIGMA (105 CROP)

Edited by chris_tribble

• 1 month later...

Well... They worked, but after the experience of using a native L mount lens (Sigma 45) I decided they wouldn't cut it for general use.  I've now sold out of Canon completely, and am working out what zooms to get for the SL (leaning towards Panasonic/Sigma at the moment because of weight / IQ / cost  balance...)

So - the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 L - both mk 2, worked, but just not as well as on the 5D4,  Rather than compromise, I've shifted system completely and will not be M or L mount only.