Abandoning the Leica M10

Mikep996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After just recently returning to Leica after a 15 year absence, and purchasing an Ebay M10 two months ago, I'm giving up on it.  It's not what I want in a digital camera.  :(

Sadly, the only way to really figure that out is to purchase and use an item extensively.  That process has allowed me to determine that the M10 is not for me so I'm selling it and replacing it with a digital camera that, I have discovered, works better, is more intuitive, and more comfortable for what I do...

The D version!  :) 

I'm working with Park camera in London on an exchange of my M10 for an M10D, also considering a used one from a fellow Leica-ist on this site. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

It doesn't sound that you are "abandoning" the M10 by moving to an M10D. You are just giving up the LCD screen.

Rather than taking a beating on the trade, why not just turn off the LCD screen or use the Leica half case with the cover on the LCD screen?

To me, having the LCD screen provides more flexibility and the ability to review my images without have to resort to the slow and cumbersome Leica iPhone app.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, budjames said:

...Rather than taking a beating on the trade, why not just turn off the LCD screen...

I'm not going to answer for the OP - and I 'only' have the older M-D 262 - but IMX and in actual use not having a screen at all makes the whole shooting experience a very different proposition than just being able to turn a screen off and for a number of reasons. It's something one really needs to try out for oneself because the reality is possibly not quite what one might assume it will be...

Philip.

• Like 11

Bud, I had exactly the same view when first reading about an M10 D - what's the point? Just turn off the screen and still have it available anytime I wanted it - especially useful when using my 21mm lens and not wanting to attach a separate O or E VF BUT...given an opportunity to shoot a D for a couple of days, I found that I just flat LIKED the experience better.  I cannot argue with the common sense side of having the screen and won't attempt to make that argument...I just really enjoyed shooting with the D.

Of course, this is not by any means a done deal yet - it will depend on what the exchange price difference would be if I buy new OR the price I could get on Ebay for my M10 if I decide to buy the used M10D.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

...given an opportunity to shoot a D for a couple of days, I found that I just flat LIKED the experience better.  I cannot argue with the common sense side of having the screen and won't attempt to make that argument...I just really enjoyed shooting with the D...

I think I know exactly what you mean, Mike, because that was my reaction as well.

When I bought my M-D the idea was to use it alongside my much-loved M9-P. But that lasted only for one day. After that one day the 9 never again came out of the bag because using the D was such an incredibly liberating, enjoyable experience. Exactly like shooting with my old M2. The 9 was traded-in for a Monochrom a few weeks later.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

I just carefuly packed my M10 and sent it off for resale,  The M10-D had taken over all opportunities for the past year, except for occasional tests and comparisons, e.g. to see what Fotos would do with either.  And maybe there will be an R coming sometime soon.  I'm hoping that the line at my dealer won't be too long.  My reason for settling on the -D is that it feels better in the hand.  I use it with the VF20 and 21 or 24 mm lenses, for framing, with rangefinder for focus.  SL for other stuff.

• Like 1

I totally understand where the op is coming from on this.

I bought the m262 because it had every feature i wanted and none that i did not want.

I could have bought an m240 and switched off video and live view or kept my olympus and ignored about 50 features i did not like or need but its much more satisfying to use a camera which is just right for me without having to turn features off.

12 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

After just recently returning to Leica after a 15 year absence, and purchasing an Ebay M10 two months ago, I'm giving up on it.  It's not what I want in a digital camera.  :(

Sadly, the only way to really figure that out is to purchase and use an item extensively.  That process has allowed me to determine that the M10 is not for me so I'm selling it and replacing it with a digital camera that, I have discovered, works better, is more intuitive, and more comfortable for what I do...

The D version!  :) 

I'm working with Park camera in London on an exchange of my M10 for an M10D, also considering a used one from a fellow Leica-ist on this site. 

I'm glad you got that off your chest, but I'd hate to have you at the front of the chip shop queue trying to decide if you want cod or haddock.

• Haha 1

I love shooting my M10 and M10P (converted M10) with M glass. As limited as the M10's metering system is, I would not be comfortable giving up the LCD. Exposures can vary greatly when shooting in a vertical format.

By comparison, my SL2's metering system is way better than the M10.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:21 AM, budjames said:

It doesn't sound that you are "abandoning" the M10 by moving to an M10D. You are just giving up the LCD screen.

Rather than taking a beating on the trade, why not just turn off the LCD screen or use the Leica half case with the cover on the LCD screen?

To me, having the LCD screen provides more flexibility and the ability to review my images without have to resort to the slow and cumbersome Leica iPhone app.

Regards,
Bud James

Tape a rectangular piece of black construction paper over the LCD screen and mount a Match Technical Thumbs Up grip on the hotshoe. 

You now have a do it yourself M10-D without losing thousands due to trading it in.  😎

Or buying one of those half cases, like Leica's, with the LCD cover.  https://www.leicastoremanchester.com/leica-protector-leather.html

I know it's not the same, but it gets you 90% there, or more, if you can adopt the same philosophy to shooting. Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed all at your fingertips + the on/off switch where you are used to. Exposure compensation via the back thumbdial. No LCD. 

It is a bit thicker with a case on though. And the M10-D does feel nicer in hand (with or without the faux lever), as the lack of LCD allowed my hand to fall into place nicely at the back of the camera with no LCD in the way.

Well, as was said earlier, what makes the most sense is to just turn off the screen - no need for tape or construction paper and the screen is still there if I need it.

It's interesting that most of the comments re selling the 10, buying the 10 D are rather negative.  Not sure why. :wacko:

I would have thought the opposite since much of the Leica thing is about what gives us pleasure in using these cameras.   Yes, someone could argue that I should have figured out before getting back into Leica that a D would have been a better choice for me than the standard M10 but I didn't realize that at the time.    I did not consider a D at all when returning to Leica, it made no sense to me at that point.  It took some time using the M10 followed by using a D that allowed me to figure that out.   Yes, it would have been less expensive to figure that out first but "Buy High, Sell Low" has pretty much been my financial strategy throughout life so far... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

interesting that most of the comments re selling the 10, buying the 10 D are rather negative

It might has to do with the way you break in the door with ‘that’s not for me’ etc. Quite radical, and in the end it turns out that you just want the same camera without the screen. With arguments like I want it more intuitive etc. The few vague but strongly put arguments are not proportional to the minor change

I chose the title specifically to get people to read the thread, thinking folks would find it humorous when, in reading it, saw I wasn't REALLY turning my back on the M10 system.   I didn't realize that my approach would generate negativity.  Poor understanding  of human nature on my part.  Sorry! :( 

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1