Q2....my first Leica...but nowhere to go from here.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Actually, the APS-C system has been developed to be in the heart of the Leica system and it can accept the largest number of M lenses. The L alliance does not exist for nothing either. I can see it as a core priority for Leica as a whole.

Sure, as long as they stay competitive. They can't rely on brand loyalty forever, not with a shared mount that allows people to mix and match. 

I know I'd get a smaller SL possibly with the 50 APO and some smaller glass, for example, so there's that too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

You reminded me one steam punk lady. She became very passionate about my FED-2... leather case. :) I’m not fetishist, to me Rebel has durable body, I use it everywhere for ten years now and all of controls are done via dials and buttons.

I took BIF, portraits, photos for election run, been nominated in international content with photo taken by it. Canon has superior to FujiNoFilm service where I’m and M bodies provider has absolutely no service here. I don’t needed it with my Rebel, but used it for our daughter pro gear and for one of my L lenses.

If you were nominated for a contest, I doubt the camera has anything to with it. The picture you took was good.

33 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

And regarding lenses, well, Fuji optics are superb, there is no need to attach anything else that their own glass.

Matter of tastes again. I bought a nice Fujinon 18/2 when i got my X-E2 and i must have used it two or three times since then. Not my cup of tea but i understand that it may please others of course. BTW TL lenses are not my cup of tea either to be honest :cool:.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Actually, the APS-C system has been developed to be in the heart of the Leica system and it can accept the largest number of M lenses. The L alliance does not exist for nothing either. I can see it as a core priority for Leica as a whole.

The good thing about M-lenses is that they can be use just fine by any other mirrorless, not only the CL.

1 minute ago, rivi1969 said:

The good thing about M-lenses is that they can be use just fine by any other mirrorless, not only the CL.

Only 35mm lenses and above in my experience. Thin sensor stacks are required for WA and UWA. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lct said:

Only 35mm lenses and above in my experience. Thin sensor stacks are required for WA and UWA. 

When used with full-frame cameras yes. With APS there is absolutely no problem eith whatever wide angle you prefer, all the corners will be cropped anyway.

Edited by rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lct said:

Matter of tastes again. I bought a nice Fujinon 18/2 when i got my X-E2 and i must have used it two or three times since then. Not my cup of tea but i understand that it may please others of course. BTW TL lenses are not my cup of tea either to be honest :cool:.

The X-E2 is not Fuji’s finest, it has the worst of the X-trans sensors. The 18mm f2 with the current one produces very nice files. 

Edited by rivi1969

35 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

When used with full-frame cameras yes. With APS there is absolutely no problem eith whatever wide angle you prefer, all the corners will be cropped anyway.

That is true, still, the CL shows that it has been optimized with Leica lenses. The rendering is quite different; more Leica-like with the CL than with Sony and Panasonic  - I don't own Fuji- in my experience. Not to mention the colour :)the CL produces.  I don't like tea - TL lenses are certainly my cup of coffee ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

I know I'd get a smaller SL possibly with the 50 APO and some smaller glass, for example, so there's that too.

For me that is the CL. But if I wanted a 50 APO (which not - far too expensive for the incremental improvement) I'd take  M version, if  only for the size.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

The CL only really makes sense as part of a Leica ecosystem. It's acts as a 1.5x teleconverter for existing Leica glass.

But let's be real here.... no one is going to buy $5,000 SL or M lenses just to shoot on the CL. 

Why not? The Summilux 24, Summicron 35 asph and Summilux 50 asph are part of my daily CL kit. But you are right in a way, they get used on my M9, M6 and Monochrom as well. Exactly my point. It renders the Q and SL quite useless to me.

Just now, jaapv said:

Why not? The Summilux 24, Summicron 35 and Summilux 50 are part of my daily CL kit. But you are right in a way, they get used on my M9, M6 and Monochrom as well.

Right, you added the CL to your Leica ecosystem. Not the other way around.

1 hour ago, rivi1969 said:

Fuji cameras are APS-C and cannot fit WA and UWA M lenses w/o softness at edges and corners. Been there. Too thick sensor stacks.

2 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Right, you added the CL to your Leica ecosystem. Not the other way around.

Yes. But it turned out to be the pivot camera of my system, which I did not expect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

Fuji cameras are APS-C and cannot fit WA and UWA M lenses w/o softness at edges and corners. Been there. Too thick sensor stacks.

With all due respect you are wrong. And Jaap or Mr Q. who have experience with both sensor sizes could tell you that.

Your argument is valid with full-frame cameras only, like the Sony A7Rii which I also have. My Zeiss 35mm M-mount lens performs terrible at the corners.

Those corners are GONE when paired with any APS camera. 

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

That is true, still, the CL shows that it has been optimized with Leica lenses. The rendering is quite different; more Leica-like with the CL than with Sony and Panasonic  - I don't own Fuji- in my experience. Not to mention the colour :)the CL produces.  I don't like tea - TL lenses are certainly my cup of coffee ;)

Jaap, it would be very interesting a test with the CL and other APS cameras all using the same M-mount lenses and see if how much difference actually is. I don't care about ultimate resolution, but I mean the overall look of the images, I bet all will be great.

Cheers

Ricardo

29 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

With all due respect you are wrong. And Jaap or Mr Q. who have experience with both sensor sizes could tell you that.

Your argument is valid with full-frame cameras only, like the Sony A7Rii which I also have. My Zeiss 35mm M-mount lens performs terrible at the corners.

Those corners are GONE when paired with any APS camera. 

In no way sorry. It is not argumentation. Just experience.

1 hour ago, rivi1969 said:

Jaap, it would be very interesting a test with the CL and other APS cameras all using the same M-mount lenses and see if how much difference actually is. I don't care about ultimate resolution, but I mean the overall look of the images, I bet all will be great.

Cheers

Ricardo

Well, after a Sony Nex 7 I gave up using M lenses on anything non-Leica. I found it not worth the trouble.