Q2....my first Leica...but nowhere to go from here.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been an amateur photographer all my life and I have owned every major brand of DSLR. My current camera kit it is a Fuji X-T4 and a bunch of lenses, however, I just purchased my first Leica ....a Q2. It was love at first site with the Q2. The photos from the Q2 are the nicest ones I have ever taken... Sharp and beautiful.  I am very comfortable with the controls of the Leica. The shutter and aperture controls are very similar to the Fuji (I really like the Fuji physical controls). Because of Leica's quality, I would love to move my kit to Leica, but I can't find what I want. I am not interested in a rangefinder. The S and SL are too large. I want the advantages of a full frame sensor and not another APS-C. Basically, I want a Q2 with TL-Lenses and L-Adapter. I then would be all in with Leica. Sony built the A7 III, which is about the same size (minus lens) as the Q2. So it can be done.

• Like 2

Max, welcome.

You have analyzed you needs very well and in so doing have discovered they cannot be met from the current Leica stable. A pity! But what are your reasons for eliminating the CL system, other than sensor size? What do you do with your best photos?

I would encourage you to revisit the CL option. Look at the fine images produced and displayed in the dedicated thread. For amateur needs it could be the right solution.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Max EPR said:

I have been an amateur photographer all my life and I have owned every major brand of DSLR. My current camera kit it is a Fuji X-T4 and a bunch of lenses, however, I just purchased my first Leica ....a Q2. It was love at first site with the Q2. The photos from the Q2 are the nicest ones I have ever taken... Sharp and beautiful.  I am very comfortable with the controls of the Leica. The shutter and aperture controls are very similar to the Fuji (I really like the Fuji physical controls). Because of Leica's quality, I would love to move my kit to Leica, but I can't find what I want. I am not interested in a rangefinder. The S and SL are too large. I want the advantages of a full frame sensor and not another APS-C. Basically, I want a Q2 with TL-Lenses and L-Adapter. I then would be all in with Leica. Sony built the A7 III, which is about the same size (minus lens) as the Q2. So it can be done.

Your considerations all seem centered around 'gear', perhaps step back and decided on what you want to photography and start from there?

• Like 6

Fuji would be a camera I would shoot except for its aps-c sensor that duplicates my T system.   Try the M, it’s appeal is multifaceted, the rangefinder is  real time, clearer than any evf/ovf/lcd, with manual focusing you gain exact focusing of any spot you choose. Spinning a dial for exposure is analog, the menus are easy. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Such a camera  would be a hard sell for Leica, between the CL and the SL, with very little difference in image quality, there is little room to position  another camera with chance of commercial success. The SL2 has opened up a gap, but who knows what a CL2 might bring?

• Like 3

This is what I always wanted too, full-frame Q with option to switch L mount lenses. But Leica will never produce such camera, because many people will stop purchasing SL2, Q2 and those ones like me who doesn’t like rangefinders will stop considering M cameras because of it’s size. I’m sure that CL2 will continue APSC size, just with more megapixels and few updated functions. 
SL2 is great camera, but still too big for street photography it’s more studio size heavy camera.

30 minutes ago, lct said:

It is no FF and not with M lenses anyway. Fuji's sensor stacks are too thick. Been there (X-E2).

I said it is a superior APS-C system, compared to what Leica offers. To be fair though, Fuji is the only manufacturer that takes APS-C seriously.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lct said:

It is no FF and not with M lenses anyway. Fuji's sensor stacks are too thick. Been there (X-E2).

If you want to stay in the Leica fold then it is worth holding the SL, I don’t find it too large or heavy, even with the 24-90 attached.

i have a CL, the quality out of that is also superb.  The only disadvantage I see is achieving perceived depth in the image.  Knowing that, you can select the lens and aperture to compensate.  Have a look at CL images, particularly those taken with the TL 35 Summilux. Ergonomically it is sensational, particularly when used with the TL lens which are designed (IQ) for the smaller sensor.

I just read what I wrote and I apologise for sounding like a fanboy, I used a Fuji X-100t, a brilliant camera that I carried with me from release until the end of last year.  I never really warmed to it, I am happy I made the move to CL, the colours are simply - Leica.

Edited by Sjz

The SL is too bulky for me sorry, reminds me when i carried a 5D :cool: but you don't sound like a fanboy at all. Having some experience with both Fuji and Leica cameras, i struggle to find the least superiority in the former. Now i mostly use Leica M & R lenses so it may be that Fuji has qualities i'm not aware of. 

The Sigma fp has, to my mind, fantastic image quality. And, from all that I can see, it handles M glass pretty well, too. It's main problem is that the add-on EVF makes the camera look and feel crazy. But without it, good luck manually focusing when the focus is critical. 

Edited by bags27

On 7/1/2020 at 1:17 PM, Max EPR said:

In my usage I find that the Q2 makes anything from 28-50mm redundant. Possibly upto 75mm if you don't print. What exactly is Q2 lacking for your use case other than the focal length "limitation"?

Sigma fp is small enough and has native L mount if that's what you are after.

• Like 1

Well...the answer , my friend , is blowing in the wind!   well until next Thursday. anyway

Simples.....M10R / visoflex/ any glass you fancy........oh, and don't forget to be nice to your purse-string holder (aka other half!).    expensive but exquisite I'd imagine !