What is your SL lens line up?

Leicaffection

19 hours ago, Per P. said:

I'm a bit envious but well done you 🙂 Stefan Daniel was always adamant there would one day be a compatible solution so, some time before the SL 601 materialised, I did take a good look. But even then the better R-lenses seemed fairly expensive. While they might be good value in a certain sense it still seemed a bit of a leap of faith. In hindsight, well ... 🙂

The good news, though, is that the SL lenses are technically better performing when mated to an SL body.  Some R lenses can fill a gap in the current SL lens lineup, but otherwise I don’t miss my R lenses from a relative performance standpoint.  And now I get a weather sealed package. Great, however, for folks who held on to those R lenses for so long and trusted that Leica would eventually deliver a compatible solution.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The good news, though, is that the SL lenses are technically better performing when mated to an SL body.  Some R lenses can fill a gap in the current SL lens lineup, but otherwise I don’t miss my R lenses from a relative performance standpoint.  And now I get a weather sealed package. Great, however, for folks who held on to those R lenses for so long and trusted that Leica would eventually deliver a compatible solution.

Jeff

Yes I agree on all counts. The lenses I have tried are great for their time, and more than adequate for my style of photography, but in objective quality terms they are no match. 

Hi,

I added the SL2 in March. For me it is SL35,SL75, and the M240 still goes with the 28cron, 35Lux,50Lux. With the ML adapter it covers what I need. 
The 28cron is still a possible item to change... SL21, SL16-35,Sigma 14-24, WATE, Sigma 20/1.4... Enough to think about.

Best,

Marc

1 hour ago, DrM said:

Hi,

I added the SL2 in March. For me it is SL35,SL75, and the M240 still goes with the 28cron, 35Lux,50Lux. With the ML adapter it covers what I need. 
The 28cron is still a possible item to change... SL21, SL16-35,Sigma 14-24, WATE, Sigma 20/1.4... Enough to think about.

Best,

Marc

Or SL 24-90 to replace it all.  😳

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Or SL 24-90 to replace it all.  😳

Jeff

Haha, yes. Sometimes, I have to admit I’m tempted. However, the M is a lovely system to keep and travel companion. 

The limitation of primes pushes me to rethink and slowdown. Additionally, the high resolution of the SL2 and the setup of 21,35,75 provides me with 2.0 or faster and the full range from 21-90 using cropping while retaining an acceptable resolution to print.
But a zoom has it’s place, so who knows..

Marc

Edited by DrM

4 minutes ago, DrM said:

Haha, yes. Sometimes, I have to admit I’m tempted. However, the M is a lovely system to keep and travel companion. 

The limitation of primes pushes me to rethink and slowdown. Additionally, the high resolution of the SL2 and the setup of 21,35,75 provides me with 2.0 or faster and the full range from 21-90 using cropping while retaining an acceptable resolution to print.
But a zoom has it’s place, so who knows..

Marc

Joking, of course, but you did mention SL 16-35 and Sigma zooms as wide angle alternatives.  The 24-90 is about the size of the wide SL zoom, and adds OIS.  I use both the M system (M10 and original Monochrom) with M lenses limited to 28/35/50 and the SL2 with 24-90 and 90-280 for complementary M use (and weather sealing). But I also have the SL 75, as I never bonded with the M’s 75mm frame lines.  

Lots of options and varied preferences for all.

Jeff

• Like 3

Leica
24-90 SL, 35 lux FLE M, 90 APO M, 

Zeiss 

21 f2.8 ZM Biogon T

Canon

50 f1.4 LTM (48mm filter)

Nikon

AFS 300 f4 IF-ED

Adaptors

Leica M- adaptor L

K&F concept M- Nikon F 

Kipon M1 8.1mm M1 macro adaptor

Edited by northernlights

The only native SL lens I have is the 75 Cron - which I love.  Beyond that, I got a R to L adaptor, first bought the 60 R 2.8 Macro (which I just love) and more recently the 180 R 2.8 (which I am also nuts about).  I just bought the Q2 to give me 28 and 35 (and 50 with more cropping).  I am LOOKING for a late version (in the 39xxxx's) of the 100 2.8 R Macro and a late ROM version of the 80 R Lux 1.4 (if any has either of those for sale, please do let me know) . . . . . then I'd have 28, 35, 50, 60, 75, 80, 100 and 180.  I go out now with the Q2 and the SL with one of those lenses on it and have great time.

35 and 75 APO SL lenses and the 16-35 SL, the latter for landscapes with the SL2. Will add the 21 and 28 APO SL lenses when available, and perhaps a 135/2.0 SL if they ever decide to make one. Oh, and a nice 100 or 120 mm/2.8 APO Macro SL lens please. 

On 6/30/2020 at 11:39 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The L mount is my working and travelling system, so what I carry varies. My kit consists of:

2 SL bodies, 2 S1R bodies, 1 SL2 body.

SL16-35, SL24-90, SL90-280, SL50 1.4, SL50 f2, SL90f2

Sigma 14-24, Sigma 105 1.4, Lumix 70-200 f4

Canon TSE17, TSE24, TSE50, TSE90, MPE65, 8-15mm fisheye.

I use a Q2 as my 28mm solution. 

I will add the new 100-400 when it becomes available, for travel use. I'll probably sell off the 70-200.

I rarely adapt anymore and the only lenses that get onto the SL2 are the M90macro and CV50mm 1.2.

Gordon

This is the most impressive camera kit I have ever read about. Especially in terms of the tilt-shift lenses combined with the SL lens line-up. You have to be the only person in the world with this combo 😊.

SL 50 Summicron APO on an SL2.
Superb blend of technical perfection and smooth rendering. 

I used M cameras for years, including owning the M 50 APO, but. ....whilst they are clearly entirely different systems in terms of use .... from purely an image quality perspective, I would now find it hard to give up the SL primes.

Now if Leica ever built a range of SL tilt-shift lenses (for architecture etc), I would likely be first in line to get one .....

Edited by Jon Warwick

Wasn't absolutely convinced that the larger, heavier, 'mirrorless' concept was for for me after 50 years of M cameras and pretty much every lens ever made for rangefinder Leica's, but with age and changing eyesight doing what they do to everyone, bought the SL and the 24-90 in August of 2016..........and, as much as I dislike the phrase, never had the need to look back. Still own an M 240-P,  some Summilux M lenses, added the M-to-SL lens adapter as well as an SL-to-R adapter for the wonderful 60mm f2.8 Elmarit R Macro lens to my 'kit', but using the SL with the 24-90 Vario Elmar has in my mind established such an exceptional record of utter mechanical reliability, superior image quality, predictability, smoothness, acutance, color rendition and smoothness that I have added the other two zooms as soon as they became available and now call my 'system 'complete.................for the time being.

I also either owned and / or used all the other available SL prime lenses on the SL body and can state with certainty and absolute conviction that this trio of Varios is the equal ( or extremely close to being the equal )  of the SL primes as well as the M lenses, and that the convenience of the SL optics, combined with the confidence that you will get as good an image with these Varios as with any other Leica lenses make this the perfect combo for what I like to photograph.

Hardly ever use anything but the SL and one of the Varios anymore...............frankly, just don't see the need for anything else.

V-Lux 114

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL(601)

VE 16-35, 24-90 & 90-280
Summilux-SL 50/1.4
Summicron-SL 75/2

As others have observed, the 24-90 is a great single lens set-up.   The 16-35 is a lovely lens, combined with the 75 Summicron-SL.  The 75 Summicron is a lovely compact lens (compared to the others), and my preference over the 90mm alternative.

The 50 Summilux-SL is the best 50mm lens I’ve ever used (including the 50 APO Summicron, Summilux ASPH and Noctilux 0.95 in M mount), and is a great fast alternative.  The 90-280 is a beast, but my only telephoto.

The only lens I would add would be a wide Summicron - the anticipated 28? or perhaps something wider?  Adding the 28 would make for a useful set of primes, but to be honest I have 21-75 well covered in M mount ...

SL, S1H

24-90

Sigma 35 1.2, 105 1.4

Noct 1.0, 21 Elmarit

Nikkor 14-24, 105 Micro, 80-200

The 24-90 is my go-to, workhorse lens.  The 35 1.2 Sigma Art is fabulous wide open and Noct-like.  The 105 1.4 Art gives me reach and a unique wide open look. 

Hi,

I have the 16-35, the 90-280, the 35 cron, 50 cron and 90 cron.

Just sold the 50 lux, because to big for a prime and the 50 cron is by far more confortable to use. I don't see the need of the 50 lux.

I love sometimes to put my M lenses on the SL or SL2, when I want to just take 1 prime to have a walk and make landscapes (mainly the 21 lux).

I wait the 21 cron. And it would be fantastic if Leica had a 135 cron in the pipe... but it will never happend I think.

If I had to keep only 2, I would take the 16-35 and the 90 cron

• Like 1