Leica 60/2.8 R vs Sigma 70/2.8 for macro

Since I've never worked with the Sigma lens, I cannot say what its rendering qualities or performance might be compared to the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8. I've worked with the latter lens extensively and it is a very high quality performer in every way. The Sigma might be as well. 

Leica also makes the TL60mm f/2.8 macro lens, which performs beautifully as well, but I chose to stick with my ME60R instead of buying one of those because I like the facts that 

• I can use the ME60R on my Leica reflex cameras as well as my M cameras, and with my other cameras as well (because it is simple, manually focus, internally controlled aperture lens)
  • The ME60R has a clearly marked focusing ring with lots of information on it. 
  • I have no particular desire or need for automatic focusing and most other automatic exposure modes other than Aperture priority AE. . 

The Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens has been and remains one of my most used lenses with Leicaflex SL, Leica R6.2, Leica CL, and Hasselblad 907x cameras, as well as others that that I no longer own or use. 

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have owned and used both on my CL. I have now sold the 60/2.8 R. The Sigma is a better lens, has AF and goes to 1:1 natively. The 60/2.8 needs the macro-adapter R to shoot between 1:2 and 1:1. Although the older lens is not in any way bad, the new Sigma is better. The only reason I'd have kept the 60/2.8 is if I still had an R body, but I have sold that too. Hope this helps.

John

• Thanks 1

Am 29.6.2020 um 19:49 schrieb kalifornier:

Hello All,

I'm trying to decide whether to go the Leica-R 60/2.8 or the Sigma 70/2.8 route for macro on my TL2. If you have used either/both, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on pros/cons/handling.

Thanks.,

Abhi

Have you considered the 60 mm Apo-Macro-Elmarit TL? It is a stellar performer, rhe best in the TL.lens bunch. The price tag might play a role, though.

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't quite see the point of AF for macro works but i may be missing something. Now given the stellar performance or the R 60/2.8, let alone its affordable price, it is a lens i will never replace most probably. YMMV.

• Like 1

Not all macro is static; AF is useful for moving insects, etc. There is also the option, which the CL and TL don't have, for semi-automatic focus stacking using AF in conjunction with Post-Focus.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb nicci78:

TL 60 IQ is stellar. But focus by wire, lack of distance and magnification scales, make it difficult to use for precise macro work. 

Using the EVF and magnification I don‘t see what the scales would be good for. Then there are moving objects like  insects, flowers in the wind etc. where autofocus or even AF-C is needed. Apart from that, the Macro-Elmarit-TL is more than a macro lens. It is excellent for landscapes. Last not least its sitze fits the CL and TL nicely.

• Like 2