'80s Memories

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Clearing out boxes stored in the garage since we moved in the early 1990s, I found this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is still unopened. Now to find a 20 exp roll of Kodachrome II and...

In the same box were vacation slides from the late 1980s of Glacier National Park, along with a stack of Leica Fotografie from 1985 into 1988. I had bought and registered a new M6 in 1985, so the subscription came from that. (Before that I used my M4 and SL from 1968-69, so hadn't seen a Fotografie since the early 70s.)

The magazines were eye-opening: to read them there was almost no mention of the M6 or M cameras except for some camera store advertisements mentioning the New M6 (along with R4 to R5). The magazine coverage was all abut the R series, lenses and accessories, with photos from the R4 with emphasis on tele and close-up shots. You wouldn't know anyone used RF cameras except for one story about how quiet the M6 was for shooting orchestra conductors and musicians, and an announcement of the new M6 in silver chrome finish instead of the normal black.  There were the expected mentions of R models winning awards for design (by German reviews).

I'm glad the M series survived in spite of the marketing focus of the times.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 4:08 PM, TomB_tx said:

Clearing out boxes stored in the garage since we moved in the early 1990s, I found this:

It is still unopened. Now to find a 20 exp roll of Kodachrome II and...

In the same box were vacation slides from the late 1980s of Glacier National Park, along with a stack of Leica Fotografie from 1985 into 1988. I had bought and registered a new M6 in 1985, so the subscription came from that. (Before that I used my M4 and SL from 1968-69, so hadn't seen a Fotografie since the early 70s.)

The magazines were eye-opening: to read them there was almost no mention of the M6 or M cameras except for some camera store advertisements mentioning the New M6 (along with R4 to R5). The magazine coverage was all abut the R series, lenses and accessories, with photos from the R4 with emphasis on tele and close-up shots. You wouldn't know anyone used RF cameras except for one story about how quiet the M6 was for shooting orchestra conductors and musicians, and an announcement of the new M6 in silver chrome finish instead of the normal black.  There were the expected mentions of R models winning awards for design (by German reviews).

I'm glad the M series survived in spite of the marketing focus of the times.

Very cool! Would you happen to have any pics of those pages, or scans?

I was born in the late 80's, so those ads were not catered to me, hahaha

Edited by yggdra.omega