Sign in to follow this  
Snowman

Suggestions on Half Cases for Leica Q2

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Looking forward in getting my new Leica Q2 here in the UK. Will be moving from my Fuji X-Pro2 which had a Fuji leather half case and always had it mounted on it to protect it and did a great job.

For the Q2 I was looking at the black, official half case, but I see there seem to be lots of different types avlaiable on ebay, mainly from South Korea and Asia.

Wondered what other Q2 owners are using and any suggestions,

thanks. 🙂

Edited by Snowman

Hi, Congratulations on your new Q2 . There are lots of choices available on Amazon, EBay and Etsy.  I suggest one that is all leather (no metal) and has openings or flaps at the bottom for access to the memory card and battery. I originally purchased the Leica protector half case and returned it because it was too heavy .  This is the one I have and am very satisfied after a year. Artisan Workstation I also recommend a glass LCD screen protector. I found mine on Amazon. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Trankster said:

Hi, Congratulations on your new Q2 . There are lots of choices available on Amazon, EBay and Etsy.  I suggest one that is all leather (no metal) and has openings or flaps at the bottom for access to the memory card and battery. I originally purchased the Leica protector half case and returned it because it was too heavy .  This is the one I have and am very satisfied after a year. Artisan Workstation I also recommend a glass LCD screen protector. I found mine on Amazon. 

Thanks for the info. Will have a look at this one.

Agreed with above; the fit and finish of the Arte Di Mano half case is spectacular. Pricey, but I didn’t buy a Q2 because I was looking for the best bang for the buck. They are a good match as they are both top performers in their respective categories and also could both be considered works of art. 

The Arte Di Mano design to provide access to both the battery and memory card without removing the case is very nifty. 

Posted (edited)

After originally buying my Leica protector with my Q2 here in the UK, I soon got tired of removing it to change cards/ charge battery or mount on a tripod (I use a tripod quite often). so I sold it on eBay and after a lot of swithering, bought the Lim's case....well it is fabulous, superb quality, a decent hand grip, easy access to battery and card  and even has a built in dovetail that fits my FLM quick-release Tripod head.   I often travel with a TINY Minox tripod (only slightly bigger than a ballpoint pen ) and the case even has a secondary tripod screw for that too.  here are some quick phone grabs

Edited by johntobias

28 minutes ago, johntobias said:

After originally buying my Leica protector with my Q2 here in the UK, I soon got tired of removing it to change cards/ charge battery or mount on a tripod (I use a tripod quite often). so I sold it on eBay and after a lot of swithering, bought the Lim's case....well it is fabulous, superb quality, a decent hand grip, easy access to battery and card  and even has a built in dovetail that fits my FLM quick-release Tripod head.   I often travel with a TINY Minox tripod (only slightly bigger than a ballpoint pen ) and the case even has a secondary tripod screw for that too.  here are some quick phone grabs

Many thanks for the info and images, this will be on my shortlist. As I too also use a tri/monopod quiet a bit and when I use the X-Pro2 with its official half case its a pain not being able to access the door for the card or tripod thread.

Posted (edited)

Coming from the X-Pro2, you will notice the over-coloured fuji jpgs which look great are not there with the Q2, the JPG engine in the Leica is good but not the best.....shoot raw, buy a cheap big hard-drive and be prepared to be astonished at the DNG files!!!   the Q2 is sublime in its raw output .....enjoy!

p.s. for the price of the Arte di-mano case, I bought a pair of 2Tb ssd's and a raid case to hold them.....better value imho!   (though the A-d-M cases are superb!)

Edited by johntobias

10 hours ago, johntobias said:

Coming from the X-Pro2, you will notice the over-coloured fuji jpgs which look great are not there with the Q2, the JPG engine in the Leica is good but not the best.....shoot raw, buy a cheap big hard-drive and be prepared to be astonished at the DNG files!!!   the Q2 is sublime in its raw output .....enjoy!

p.s. for the price of the Arte di-mano case, I bought a pair of 2Tb ssd's and a raid case to hold them.....better value imho!   (though the A-d-M cases are superb!)

For the price of three Arte de mano cases, I bought one ADM case and three 6TB HD’s. They all work very well for me. 😁

One more vote for the LIM's case. The built-in hand grip improves handling by so much, the base plate gives additional protection + tripod mount and SD card/battery cutouts are super convenient. 

17 hours ago, johntobias said:

Thanks for that. I have got some spare storage for these bigger files.

LIM's for fit, practicality, construction, and usage.  The grip is handy as is the arca-style dovetail on the bottom and easy access to battery and card.  I have the Leica case which looks really cool, but that's where it ends.  I have to have something that functions well.

I like it when the protection for the camera reaches up to the edge on the top. There the cameras get most scratches and damages. Most Half Cases that are sold should be called Quarter Cases because they do not protect the camera properly.

Therefore I decided to use for the Q2, like for the Q1, the LMB-Q Half Case from Artisan & Artist.

http://www.artisan-n-artist.de/product_detail.php?id=388

On 7/6/2020 at 7:56 AM, bullmoon said:

LIM's for fit, practicality, construction, and usage.  The grip is handy as is the arca-style dovetail on the bottom and easy access to battery and card.  I have the Leica case which looks really cool, but that's where it ends.  I have to have something that functions well.

I have this case as well for my Q2; Lim's makes great cases for a reasonable price.  The grip part is one of the best I've seen and the easy access to the SD slot and battery is well designed.  This is what the Leica Q2 case should have been; of course the price would be three times what it is now though...lol.

CJ

Lim's no second thoughts after a year of use. It's awesome for a hand carry with wrist strap or neck strap wrapped around the wrist and the camera hanging vertically from the hand with four fingers securing it with the grip. Easy peasy tripod mounting with the Arca ready plate. The weight difference and size difference is negligible IMO.

Rob

IG: Theoriginalphotogray