Which one to own Digilux2 or Digilux3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a considerable difference in price between the 2 but besides that which one has the Better IQ and Skin tones . Thanks 

Also, which AF lens that was designed for the D3 was better than the D2 Zoom lens?   I know CCD vs Cmos and what is the max ISO that can be used on the D3 before you notice noise?

Thanks   Any portraits shot with the D3 is appreciated

Edited by rollsman4

I recall that few D2 owners upgraded to D3 mainly because there was only a marginal increase in sensor size and resolution. Also, the D3 is a system camera and attracted former Leica R body owners with lenses which could adapt to a digital body. Hence the lack of immediate comparative reporting. Be patient, some might catch sight of your thread.

I had both. The D3 mainly as emergency backup to the DMR. The viewfinder was horrible and the sensor so-so compared to the D2. It did fine on easy subjects, but for instance dense foliage turned into an aquarelle. And it was huge. I vastly preferred the D2, which I still have. The D2 zoom lens is one of the best ever built. The  D3 one was nearly as good, but prone to mechanical breakdown.

I, too, upgraded from the D3 to the D2. However, you must be aware that the D2 has a fixed lens. A very nice lens, though. It's a pity that they don't relaunch the D2 with a recent sensor and processor.

• Like 4

My experience was that 200 ISO was the fastest useable speed on the D2, but the D3 was usable up to 800 ISO.  The D3 also has a lens incorporating stabilisation, allowing a lower shutter speeds to be used when the camera was hand-held than were possible with D2 -- an effective gain of one EV.  

I have been reading a lot about the D2 being the Camera of choice. It can vary person to person So I will stay with the D2. One more thing. What is the largest size print that can be made up and still look Very good

Le D3 à une optique 14-50 à f. 2,8 - 3,5 équivalent à 28-100 en 35 mm. La focale du X Vario est équivalent à 28-70 et f. 3,5 - 6,4. 

Je possède un X Vario dont je suis très satisfait et son optique est d'une qualité exceptionnelle (j'ai également un D2.)  😉

Guytou

Edited by Guytou

On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 AM, rollsman4 said:

I have been reading a lot about the D2 being the Camera of choice. It can vary person to person So I will stay with the D2. One more thing. What is the largest size print that can be made up and still look Very good

I found up to A4 worked well. At everyday sizes and Web use, results from the D2 are indistinguishable from later cameras

8 hours ago, Guytou said:

Le D3 à une optique 14-50 à f. 2,8 - 3,5 équivalent à 28-100 en 35 mm. La focale du X Vario est équivalent à 28-70 et f. 3,5 - 6,4. 

Je possède un X Vario dont je suis très satisfait et son optique est d'une qualité exceptionnelle (j'ai également un D2.)  😉

Guytou

That's number and paper specs.  If you believe specs and numbers, you would not look into Leica.

It's the IQ.

3 minutes ago, wda said:

I found up to A4 worked well. At everyday sizes and Web use, results from the D2 are indistinguishable from later cameras

Is D2 good enough for daily usage? It definitely was. But there are a lot of better choices from Leica. 

Many people praised D2 should be watching this thread and have newer Leica toys. Listen carefully how many are still using D2 as the major tool.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 AM, rollsman4 said:

This is a 60 X 60cm print, 50% cropped photo taken hand held on my D2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tamas said:

oops, the wording did not appear.  above is a 60 x 60cm print taken from a 50% cropped photo hand held

Wonderful shot. 

Still, the point is, with about the same or less price, I bet people would be much happier with newer Leica's such as D-luX 109, DLux 7, and X Vario.

D2 is an old glory, D3 has never been a glory at all. But it's time to move on.

Il y a 2 heures, Einst_Stein a déclaré:

C'est le nombre et les spécifications du papier. Si vous croyez aux spécifications et aux chiffres, vous ne vous pencherez pas sur Leica.

C'est le QI.

Oui, je sais bien que le QI est important mais vous avez dit "... Le D3 est pratiquement limité à 14-50 mm et 25 mm prime. X Vario est beaucoup mieux ..." 
J e ne faisais donc donc que rappeler les caractéristiques optiques de ces appareils pour ceux qui avaient un peu oublié. 😉

Je le répète :  je suis très satisfait de mon X Vario qui possède un excellent QI, malgré sa faible ouverture. 

Guytou

Edited by Guytou

On 6/27/2020 at 1:32 AM, wda said:

I recall that few D2 owners upgraded to D3 mainly because there was only a marginal increase in sensor size and resolution. Also, the D3 is a system camera and attracted former Leica R body owners with lenses which could adapt to a digital body.

The four-thirds sensor of the D3 is twice the size of the two-thirds sensor of the D2. The D2 has 5mp resolution; the D3 has 7.5. Some of the four-thirds lenses are very nice, but why not get a modern four-thirds body, such as Panasonic or Olympus?

On 6/27/2020 at 6:21 PM, rollsman4 said:

What is the largest size print that can be made up and still look Very good

I have made up to 16 inch x 20 inch (40.64 cm x 50.8 cm) prints from my D2 and they look very good. The photo tech at the print shop looked at my files and said that 18 x 24 inch would work. She didn't mention larger sizes, but the 60 x 60 cm 50% crop in this thread looks very nice.

Edited by jrethorst
clarification

> D2 has a fixed lens.

Specifically, a fixed zoom: 28 to 90, at 35mm equivalent.

> A very nice lens, though.

With all that's been written about it, could you say it's one of Leica's best?

> t's a pity that they don't relaunch the D2 with a recent sensor and processor.

It certainly is. In fact, an expert camera repair place could replace the sensor with a modern two-thirds size, at maybe 10 or 12 mp; replace the viewfinder with a modern hi-resolution one; support higher-capacity SD cards, and rewrite the firmware to support the changes. A wonderful camera would be even better.