TTArtisan 35/1,4

hteasley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A few years ago, when people were trashing cheap Chinese lenses because they were pretty universally poor, I said, "Someday we're going to wake up to a cheap Chinese lens that's really actually very good." I have bought several of these over the years, because they're generally cheap enough to take a flier on, and they've been getting better.

I just got the TTArtisans 35/1,4 and I think they've hit the quality bar to be taken seriously. I really like this lens. I've always wanted the Summilux FLE (I had an earlier ASPH, sold it), but wow, the amount of marginal value added, for an additional $5500 over this lens, is becoming finer and finer. And for Voigtlanders and Zeiss that are 2-3x the price, they need to feel the pressure. This is a nice lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

I like the way it draws, I like the focus transition, it's perfectly sharp in the center... there's not a lot to dislike here.

• Like 11

I was really interested in one but I decided to take a gamble on a Summilux Pre-Asph... Slightly making me regret the purchase... Slightly lol. But if you keep posting great samples I might have to pick one up for when I need some modern coatings and flare resistance.

• Like 1

I bought this lens as a stop-gap solution whilst I save up for the 35mm Summilux FLE. Once calibrated it captures a surprising amount of detail for the price, and renders OOF areas smoother than the CV 35mm F1.4 IMO. 

For the first pic, focused on the mannequin’s chin at F1.4 and in the raw file when zoomed in, you can see the fabric detail of the neck and blouse. OOF area and highlights are rendered smoothly to my liking. Bokeh is prone to swirling though so if one doesn’t like that then best to avoid this lens. 

For the second pic, also at F1.4, can see water stains on the windows when zoomed in. Although one can see barrel distortion at the edges of the frame here but it’s acceptable for the price I think. 

Both pics are straight OOC on my M10-P, with 35mm Summilux ASPH lens profile applied in camera. 

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 4

I'm not sure where this lens gets bad rap.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:22 PM, jdlaing said:

I use one and it’s great. Gets a bad rap but not deserved.

I'm not sure where it gets bad rap.

The only bad about this lens is its size. Personally, I can't deal with lenses protruding into the frame lines. This is why I opted for more expensive and something like three times compact 35 1.4 II Nokton.

• Like 2

Hello Kostya (and Jim too)

I think bad rap comes from perhaps a little Leica envy...a v good lens..great size, cost and very nice to use.  Must admit I'm on Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 version 1, the smallest and takes 39mm filters.  Also really looks good on any Leica camera.

Even wide open it's pretty good, and in post can sharpen even further if you want to shave. 😁

Closing down can have bit of back focus in next couple f-stops, but if you use it enough can learn to compensate...like some Leica lenses. Or just use EVF..😛

I like your pages, cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought this lens and adjusted the focus cam right away. I was very disappointed with the lens because it was soft wide open and was about to pass it on. Before putting it on that auction site I adjusted the focus cam again and like magic the lens came to life! It's sharp as a tack now. I've decided to keep it even though I have a Leica 35mm f1.4 asph. It's quite a good lens for the money just like all of the other 7Artisans and TTArtisans lens.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 2:15 PM, hteasley said:

A few years ago, when people were trashing cheap Chinese lenses because they were pretty universally poor, I said, "Someday we're going to wake up to a cheap Chinese lens that's really actually very good." I have bought several of these over the years, because they're generally cheap enough to take a flier on, and they've been getting better.

I just got the TTArtisans 35/1,4 and I think they've hit the quality bar to be taken seriously. I really like this lens. I've always wanted the Summilux FLE (I had an earlier ASPH, sold it), but wow, the amount of marginal value added, for an additional $5500 over this lens, is becoming finer and finer. And for Voigtlanders and Zeiss that are 2-3x the price, they need to feel the pressure. This is a nice lens.

Thanks for sharing, pictures look awesome. Can you please share a picture of the OVF to see a real-life viewfinder blockage? That's would be helpful.

7 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

How is the distortion of this lens? The Voigtländer Nokton 35 1.4 is not stellar hear (to say it politely)

Not present enough to bother me. I don't have many shots where it would be an issue. Here are a couple that would show it:

Here's a shot that shows some barrel distortion that I should probably correct:

Edited by hteasley
Added a photo
  • Thanks 1

I recently got one for my M9M.  I can't wait to give it a work out on some tough scenes..... it has some big shoes to fill with the other lenses I use on the Monochrom:

Leica 90mm f2 Summicrom Pre APO (1986 vintage)

7 Artisans 75mm f1.25 v1 (1957 vintage)

Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM via adaptor

Edited by Cowz

On 6/30/2020 at 9:33 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

The only bad about this lens is its size. Personally, I can't deal with lenses protruding into the frame lines. This is why I opted for more expensive and something like three times compact 35 1.4 II Nokton.

I agree - but I'm trying it on for size. Mine arrived today, and while I'm just starting to try it out, I am impressed with the "presentation of quality" effort they are making. While it doesn't come with a lens case, it's in a red velvet lined, flip-lid "presentation" box worthy of Leica. Also, the focusing cam is a "flat cam" that moves in and out while rotated, like an M mount should use. The "7A" 35 f2 uses a sloped cam which contacts the camera cam-follower differently, and I couldn't get it to adjust perfectly for both my M9 and M10. However, the flat cam of this lens also adjusts, but focus is the same on both my M9 & 10. Kudos. That makes the self-adjust feature a real plus.

This is my largest "sub-90" M lens, and I prefer the size of the Nokton 35 1.4. But I'll use this for a while and see if the images can overcome my aversion to the size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Will be caught dead with lens looking like this. 

https://leicarumors.com/

Edited by rramesh
  • Haha 2