Leica M8 – (Finally) Falling in love with this aging digital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is an interesting article about the M8, along with some photographs that show the camera's capabilities, if you are willing to work within its limitations of the 160-2500 ISO range: 

https://www.35mmc.com/26/06/2020/leica-m8-finally-falling-in-love/

At the risk of stating the obvious, with any Digital M camera ISO appears to be a very significant factor with regard to image quality.  I tend to work with ISOs of around 10-15% of maximum on my digital Leicas (Q2 and M-P 240) in the interest of image quality. 

I/Q does not always seem to be a linear proposition, though.  With my M-P 240, I have made images at ISO 1600 and even 3200 that still result in exhibit quality prints at 16x24 inches, depending on subject, lighting, shutter speed and probably a whole kettle full of other intangible factors.   

The M8 was a "gateway drug" for this photographer, as he has decided to upgrade to an M10.  He took the affordable bait and now he is hooked!  😄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I recently acquired an M8.2, and as a result my Canon 5DS has taken a back seat for awhile, especially since I accidentally discovered that the B&W images of the M8.2 were amazing! Then I started reading about how a lot of people love very same thing about this old camera. I noticed my photography has become more deliberate, and sort of emotionally integrated with me and the camera....it has been a bit of an eye-opener. I love my Canon gear, I can meet any photography challenge I desire. However, the Leica M8.2 has captured my heart, and my photography world has been turned upside down for now. When I was younger I shot with film and velvia slides, and tons of it. When I converted to Digital I did not look back. Now I am a bit confused....am I feeling nostalgia, or something more.....?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Why not an IR Cut filter?

If you're actually taking IR photographs, an IR cut filter will make that impossible since it blocks all IR light. The M8 was more than a little sensitive to IR. That was something of a scandal as it would sometimes make some black fabrics purple. As an amateur landscape photographer, I never saw any problems with the M8. I had IR cut filters but never used them much. But when I put an actual red or darker red filter on the lens, it actually works as a pretty nice IR camera, maybe not quite as sensitive to a converted camera (a camera which has had a company remove the IR cut filter from the sensor) but close since the IR cut filter on the sensor on the M8 is very weak.

So fine without any filter. With the IR cut filter your black fabrics are safe ;-). With an actual IR/red/deeper red filter, interesting IR photographs. Not going to look quite as good as a fully converted camera (and a converted camera doesn't look as good as Kodak HIE film due to the film having no anti-halation layer) but not bad.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That a great shot, I can never get results like that and that's all down to the photographer.

Just a little nit pick if I may? I would not describe the M8 IR filter as "very" weak, it is about 50% effective overall.  The BS7 filter used is very inefficient, or weak 😃   , at blocking IR in the 1000 to 1200 nm range but much better in the 700 to 1000nm range so some subjects will react very differently than others, a bit like "real" IR in fact.

• Thanks 1

It's weak enough so that you CAN do IR, but not weak enough to make my normal photos suffer (at least not landscape photos). The filter I use is either a red 25A for false color infrared, or an ancient Leica 39mm chrome rimmed filter with only the engraving IR on it. Never been able to find out very much about it but it's pretty deep red. For that I just get black and white infrared. It doesn't give me what I used to get with Kodak HIE film but it's still pretty cool. 

I shoot infra-red hand-held on my M8 with a 21/2.8 Kobalux lens and a ("black") 093 infra-red pass filter because I like the brilliance of the foliage and the deep black of blue skies and masonry.

Pete.

Bryant Park in New York City.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On my M8 I have been using an R72 filter mostly on a 25 Canon, some times a 35 Summilux and a 50 Summicron Collapsible. I do have a Kodak Wratten 87C and should try that. But having hand held infrared is great and bring me back to using Kodak HIE, but not exactly the same. 

This is using a Kodak Wratten 87C (black) with a 35 Summilux the 4 inch Wratten filter holder gets in the way big time. But more IR effect than the R72. 

I’ve never liked IR photography.  The M8/M8.2 is, however, capable of producing excellent ‘traditional’ b/w tonality using an IR cut filter. I only sold off my second M8.2 when I acquired  a nice used M Monochrom (occasionally adding a medium yellow filter). 

Jeff