M camera alternatives for a 13 year old

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, Overgaard said:

The Leica Q second-hand could be something, but else a good old Leica Digilux 2. I've had a series of young people whom I got onto that one.

It depends also if she should take it over the shoulder and go photography, or it has to fit into a bag. Ricoh GR III or older could also be a thing, but yes, it's difficult to find cameras with possible manual settings. The Leica D-Lux 7 now has speed dial on to, and aperture on the lens, though still a lot of other buttons and menu points that complicate things. 

(Below is a lucky kid. First his parents ordered one with dead sensor. We returned that and found another in mint condition for $399 on Amazon. When it arrived, it had original Leica filters, remote trigger, and the rare Macro filter, which in itself is worth more than the entire camera).

I agree. Good recommendation.

The Lecia D-lux 7, or the very similar Panasonic LX 100 II, is a great choice. Good manual controls to learn from, but still possible to use automated metering.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:32 PM, stump4545 said:

Ok decided on getting the Fuji x100f for my daughter.

Any good source to change leather skin on this camera?

thought it would be a nice touch.

thanks again

Great choice - will be a fantastic camera to learn on, and also to enjoy shooting with (also, dad might be allowed to borrow it some times, if he asks nicely!). :)

• 2 months later...

My wife has the Fuji X100. 

But there are problems: buttons that have the impression they have been pushed and they will alter the WB, the macro, the . . . a whole lost of problems. A.I. the wrong way 🙃

And the even bigger problem is that in a Leica M (I would suggest the M8.0 because of its great finder, better than the 8.2) you have separate 'controls' for the focus and light settings. In the Fuji it is combined. So either she focusses on infinity (grass) and gets a lot of sky and hence dark opisture, or whe take a picture that is exposed on the ground correctly (no sky) but the focus is way off.

That said, the M8 has superb colours and object details, surface rendering is real 3D  (a joy) while the Fuji, apart from the Japanese greens, is more CMOS like. Good but not the greatest. Still I like the feedback from the EVF after the shot.

Edited by Alberti

2 hours ago, Alberti said:

My wife has the Fuji X100. 

But there are problems: buttons that have the impression they have been pushed and they will alter the WB, the macro, the . . . a whole lost of problems. A.I. the wrong way 🙃

And the even bigger problem is that in a Leica M (I would suggest the M8.0 because of its great finder, better than the 8.2) you have separate 'controls' for the focus and light settings. In the Fuji it is combined. So either she focusses on infinity (grass) and gets a lot of sky and hence dark opisture, or whe take a picture that is exposed on the ground correctly (no sky) but the focus is way off.

That said, the M8 has superb colours and object details, surface rendering is real 3D  (a joy) while the Fuji, apart from the Japanese greens, is more CMOS like. Good but not the greatest. Still I like the feedback from the EVF after the shot.

Only if you set it to auto. You can expose manually on the x100. There are separate dials for aperture and shutter. ISO is in a menu but its the same on the M8.

I purchased the x100V and it’s a blast. It solved many of the issues of the previous versions. The lens is finally useful at close distances. I compare it to my CL film and often carry both.

I am not a Fuji fan boy but they really created something special. It hurts me to say that on most days out with the family I reach for the X100 and not the M10 or M9.

My second daughter is 15 years old now. She started to be interested in photography after I got Leica M three years ago. (Before M240, I had D810 with good optics.There was no interest)

I gave my G7X and then my Digilux 2. She did not like them to use. I bought a second hand X100s for her, since it looks like a rangefinder. When we went out for taking photo she started to take M and give me the Fuji. And I sold the Fuji. At the and I bought a Leica Q 1.5 years ago for her.  Now, when we go out for taking photo she takes M and gives me the Q.

In conclusion, buy an M camera for her (M8 or whatever...) :)

Edited by autograph

The original OP wants to teach his daughter elements of photography. I recommend a used Leica T or TL. Its interface will mesh with her iPhone/smart phone touch screen logic and will also allow for manual as well as automatic photography. Cost for a nice used example of a T will be about $500-$600, while a TL will run about $700. Buy a 7artisans 35mm (approx. 50mm on the CMOS sensor) and she's ready to go. The 7artisans is a manual 35mm f/2.0 (about $180.00--decent resolution for the T-series) with the Leica "6 bit" engraving on the barrel of the lens with an M to L adapter. If she takes to the Leica system and you want her to grow with it, buy a 45mm f/2.8 SIGMA L-mount. It's an automatic lens and will fit perfectly (about $400). I interchange my copy between my TL2 and SL. Plus with the adapter, she can use your M-mount lenses under supervision (of course)

If she doesn't take to photography, then you have an inexpensive back up, smaller kit that's compatible with your lenses. Cheers and I applaud you bringing your daughter into the fold. I regularly use my M-mount lenses on my T and TL2 , with great results.

Edited by Merv-O
typos

I'd opt for rewards-based progress and start with the most basic to establish a fundamental ability to point a camera at something and get a picture.  Let the technical skills come later.  First demonstrate interest and skill: use a throw-away.  If the child does well with that move on to a point-and-shoot.  The P&S would allow some user control.  If that works move on to a more complex camera, one requiring more user input.  OK, a child genius, get a top quality camera.  That includes Leica but there are lots.  Let the Leica be the First Prize reward for demonstrated superior skills.  This does not have to be a long, drawn-out process.  But offering a path of rewarded learned skills seems smart.

OTOH if the child has the bucks let them buy what they want.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1