M camera alternatives for a 13 year old

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 7-year old asked me to show him how to take pictures. Naturally, he wanted an own camera afterwards. I let him choose between two of my old cameras, a Ricoh GR and a Nikon D7000 (replaced by Leica CL and Nikon D500, respectively). I showed him both cameras and told him that the image quality is very comparable. It took him less than a second to decide for the D7000. Main reason for him: it came with a 18-105mm zoom lens. This combination is now his and he is steadily improving. It's great fun for me to go out with him to take pictures.

9 hours ago, stump4545 said:

Any good reliable place to get a leather skin for the Fuji x100F?

Was thinking of getting a bright red leather 😀

Not red, but this may be worth considering:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY1DNW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one on my X100F and it is a great half case for a very reasonable price.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:47 PM, pippy said:

Do you mean a Leica M is a boring camera for an old man; a boring old camera for a man; or a camera for a boring old man?

The 6d is a child's toy. The daughter is 13. Don't partonise her as if she was a mere child.

Philip.

What and a Leica M isn't a toy?

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

A kid that likes to take photographs will love a Leica Sofort on the side...

I think you are getting somewhere with that, in the sense of 'why start with the camera, start with the photograph'. If the kid likes the look of something they have seen or their peers are doing begin right there, it's always going to be fun because they already like it! An instant photo that 'Dad' can scan and enlarge and print, what could be better? The only question is then to ask 'what are you interested in, what do you want to photograph?'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

I think you are getting somewhere with that, in the sense of 'why start with the camera, start with the photograph'. If the kid likes the look of something they have seen or their peers are doing begin right there, it's always going to be fun because they already like it! An instant photo that 'Dad' can scan and enlarge and print, what could be better? The only question is then to ask 'what are you interested in, what do you want to photograph?'

My first camera was a Polariod, the B&W only version as the film was much cheaper! Loved using it and seeing results instantly. I still have the camera and some of the photos I took with it (many were given away and there were no scanners then to copy them with!).

• Like 2

I'd already learned some photography at higher education, developing and printing etc., but there was no context to 'do photography' until one summer before going off to art college I decided I needed to photograph littered and washed up Coke cans on the Scottish beaches my parents took me to. So my Dad's Kodak Retina came into use, and I'm not saying I was an eco pioneer against litter, it was just about the ubiquity of a dead Coke can always appearing in the middle of a wilderness. But it was the idea and secondarily the necessity of a camera to record the idea that got me hooked on photography. So I went to college to do sculpture and after a year switched to photography based on the seeds sown with my Dad's Kodak Retina and Coca Cola.

So don't make 'teaching photography' be about cameras, it won't last unless there is an expressive idea bubbling away under the surface.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 6:11 PM, Overgaard said:

..It depends also if she should take it over the shoulder and go photography, or it has to fit into a bag..

Fair point! Could you recommend any shoulder straps or bags (nothing too expensive)? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Frase said:

Yes they are I keep them for high days and holidays and thats why I like Leicas.

Fair do's.

I'll have one or two with me each time I head out the door because I like using Leicas every chance I get.

:)

Philip.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:35 PM, stump4545 said:

I found www.aki-asahi.com for leather skins.  Anyone use them before?

Learning how to change the leather skin on a camera before learning how to take pictures is a perfect start to becoming a classic Leica M system user.

Edited by epand56
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 10:28 PM, stump4545 said:

Would like to teach my daughter photography and I love the M system for its manual controls and basic functions.

Was thinking of picking up an M9 with a generic 35mm lens to get her started but pricey for a starter kit.

Any cheaper alternatives?

I just feel the M system with its simple controls is a great tool to slow down and learn the craft.

Hard to find a digital equivalent. 

Thank you

I let my daughter use an old second hand Fujifilm X-E1 (or some of my newer Fujifilm cameras). Cheap mirrorless, but great controls for time and aperture!

Fuji X series.
One AF lens (23, 27mm or perhaps 35mm), one manual focus lens. I can recommend the Voigtlander VM close-up adapter as well. That would make a quite well-rounded package. The X series is also tough. Drop an X, no biggie. Drop an M9...

Edited by Peter_S
  • Like 2