Best SD Card <merged>

astrostl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for posting.

First link was interesting.

Second link included "This SanDisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s UHS-I U3 V30 256GB SDXC card was introduced in late 2018 and offers an improved read speed compared with the 95MB/s card is replaced. The higher read speed can ony be achieved with SanDisk's proprietary card reader SDDR-C531. In other memory card readers it is limited to lower speeds around 99MB/s. The write speed is advertised as 90MB/s."    .........I'm not that concerned with speed, so I'll continue to use my camera and the built-in card readers on my iMac and MacBook Pro computers.

Third link was scary - I bought my card from Amazon, and it came with Prime, but I have no idea how to test if it is a genuine card or if it's counterfeit.  From now on, I'll buy from B&H Photo.

Thanks for posting - there's a goldmine of good information in those links.  One question - for use in the M10, is FAT32 good enough for the format, or is there a good reason to use ExFAT ?  Considering that the M10 doesn't do video, I can't see any way where it might be creating files that are too large for FAT32....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry, I realise this topic has been beaten to death over the years, but new SD cards come out and firmware updates.

Firstly, how often do most people here buy new SD cards? I have cards going back years. Samsung 64 Pro - Im looking at you. They were/are very well made cards, very tough cards, shame they dont make them anymore.

The M10 doesnt need super fast cards, but the next one (M11?) might so it would save buying again, unless there is a problem with super fast SD's in the current model.

And there are new (ish) kids on the block, like Angelbird cards, Sony Tough Cards and ProGrade, all with great reviews.

I had some corrupt files from a shoot recently, it may be the MacPro itself, as Ive swapped card readers, USB3 ports, if I move to another mac in the office and download then they are fine, but if I then send the files round the network to my mac the same files are corrupt again...weird....any ideas would be welcome. hard disk?

Which made me think I should buy new cards/reader to prevent any future issues, I cant even imagine how many images have gone through my SD cards, with about 300 commercial shoots a year (not all through M10 but shared with SL and a lesser extent the M240)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have a couple of super fast Angelbird cards, but I have to use a good card reader, like Sandisk, to transfer files to my 5k iMac.  The SD card slot in the iMac won't read these cards.  All slower cards work fine with the card slot.  The iMac is nearly three years old, but has a good spec, 4.2GHz quad core Intel i7 processor and 32GB of RAM.

• Like 1

The issue is the hard disk sled in the Macpro, thats the last of the variables I could eliminate. I had bought a new larger hard disk and used a sled from another macpro for convenience as it wasnt bening used. It wasnt quite as smooth a fit, but the drive went in OK and thought no more of it.

The drive then started disappearing off my list of internal drives and I thought I had purchased a dud. When it did appear I ran disk checks and it came up clean. Eventually I switched back the identical looking sled from the old mac and I have had no issues since, either on corruption or missing hard drives.

So the take away from this time is, only use the hard drive sleds that came with the mac, dont mix and match from other seemingly identical computers.

• jaapv changed the title to Best SD Card <merged>

I've been using SanDisk Pro and Extreme Pro CF and SD cards for years without any issues. I only use SD  cards now for my Leicas, and Sony RX100M7. I use SanDisk microSD cards for my Mavic Pro 2 drone and with their adapter.

I purchased a few Lexar SD cards a few years ago, but all of them developed a problem that the plastic dividers in between the contacts separated from the body of the card. I threw them all away.

We spend lots of money on gear. I don't want to risk my images by skimping on SD cards.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.