Best SD Card <merged>

astrostl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Best to delete files on computer then?

Definitely yes.

I keep the data on SD card after replacing by empty SD in camera.

Copy and format only in computer, at home (after a trip, or a day  for example), why I use smaller multiple SD cards and not one/two big capacity cards.

When a card crash arrives, only small part data loss.

Load the Full SD to computer, then delete files that are not "good", in computer.

I make a back-up on another external disk.

Then I format in computer (as exFAT for M10) the SD card, and now it can be reused again.

Side note...

Since I use M-D, I tend to use the other M like it :p.

Never chimping and only regret that M10 don't show what the remaining "frames" after tripping the shutter :ph34r:.

And M10 do need one more battery (not really big problem, in use) for a day long photos, not M-D (more than thousand "frames" with one battery).

M-D don't have option to "delete" files but a flic of function button can show battery percent left and "frames" remaining.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely yes.

I keep the data on SD card after replacing by empty SD in camera.

Copy and format only in computer, at home (after a trip, or a day  for example), why I use smaller multiple SD cards and not one/two big capacity cards.

When a card crash arrives, only small part data loss.

Load the Full SD to computer, then delete files that are not "good", in computer.

I make a back-up on another external disk.

Then I format in computer (as exFAT for M10) the SD card, and now it can be reused again.

Side note...

Since I use M-D, I tend to use the other M like it :p.

Never chimping and only regret that M10 don't show what the remaining "frames" after tripping the shutter :ph34r:.

And M10 do need one more battery (not really big problem, in use) for a day long photos, not M-D (more than thousand "frames" with one battery).

M-D don't have option to "delete" files but a flic of function button can show battery percent left and "frames" remaining.

Unless I misunderstood your post my M10's always show remaining shots left on acrd. Lower right corner for me.

Unless I misunderstood your post my M10's always show remaining shots left on acrd. Lower right corner for me.

I only use OVF 99% of time on M10 and 100% of time with M-D ;) ,

so no "remaining frames" in M10's OVF in those cases.

Nevermind, M10 is fantastic M to use.

• 7 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 11:06 AM, a.noctilux said:

May I suggest an answer for "when deleted images lead to get fragmented files".
When we look at the DNG files sizes from M10, we can see that those are of different sizes:
an example from mine, DNG sizes are from 25 MB to 28MB with something variable in between.

When deleted a file for example that was 25 MB and the next file is bigger 27MB, the difference 2MB would be written elsewhere.This would lead to fragmented files.

We know that fragmented files slow down the read/write and error may occur more often than not-fragmented files system.

All files on SD cards are fragmented, and the fragments are not contiguous (adjacent). Look into 'cluster size', 'blocks' and 'wear-leveling'.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I have been deleting files in-camera for over 15 years now and never had a problem. I have a bit of a struggle to see what harm it could cause.

Deleting in camera which creates problems indicates a fundamental and inexcusable error in the firmware which should use tried-and-true public standard routines. Maybe some manufacturers' programmers think they can circumvent standards. Pity them.

Edited by pico

I do not believe in that formatting thing. I never did that either and never had problems. It is the most normal thing to do as the first thing that my Camera proposes when I want to delete is „delete one picture“ or „delete them all“ etc. 

To format seems to be something rather special. Or else when I read the instruction manualthere is no warning of deleting instead of formatting.

Still I read an article not a long time ago written by a card producer‘s engineer (one of the well known brands of which I do not recall brand nor the publication in which I read that). He wrote that we had ABSOLUTELY to FORMAT and that DELETING was FULLY WRONG. And then in the same article he elaborated technically and it sounded all plausible. Neverthelress I went back to deleting my pictures in camera as it is much faster than formatting.

2 hours ago, Alex U. said:

I do not believe in that formatting thing. I never did that either and never had problems. It is the most normal thing to do as the first thing that my Camera proposes when I want to delete is „delete one picture“ or „delete them all“ etc. 

To format seems to be something rather special. Or else when I read the instruction manualthere is no warning of deleting instead of formatting.

Still I read an article not a long time ago written by a card producer‘s engineer (one of the well known brands of which I do not recall brand nor the publication in which I read that). He wrote that we had ABSOLUTELY to FORMAT and that DELETING was FULLY WRONG. And then in the same article he elaborated technically and it sounded all plausible. Neverthelress I went back to deleting my pictures in camera as it is much faster than formatting.

If that were true, why do all digital cameras have a delete button?

I don’t delete in camera, as I seldom view images on the camera. But after importing a session with Lightroom on a PC, I then simply delete all the files in the image folder of the card with Windows. I’ve never reformatted a card, and never had problems with them.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:20 AM, Alex U. said:

I went back to deleting my pictures in camera as it is much faster than formatting.

Something is wrong. Formatting is almost instant; as fast as deleting one image in-camera.

Edited by pico

11 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Not if you do an overwrite...

Yes, however overwriting is rarely necessary (and tedious) and it only discourages amateurs from recovering files, which is usually enough, BUT there is a section of the card which over-writing does not touch and offers some forensics

Intrigued?

Edited by pico
  • Thanks 1

I have standardized on using SanDisk Extreme SD cards in my Fuji and Leica cameras over the past few years. I used to use Lexar, but have had a number of those cards fail, not because of the electronics but the little plastic dividers in between the metal contacts breaking. I tossed all of the Lexar cards out and I have not had any issues with the Sandisk Extreme cards.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/26/2018 at 5:00 AM, budjames said:

I have standardized on using SanDisk Extreme SD cards in my Fuji and Leica cameras over the past few years. I used to use Lexar, but have had a number of those cards fail, not because of the electronics but the little plastic dividers in between the metal contacts breaking. I tossed all of the Lexar cards out and I have not had any issues with the Sandisk Extreme cards.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Nice to know another Leica and Fuji shooter. I like both systems too. :)

After downloading images from my cameras...M-P, M8's,  V-Lux, Fuji XE-1's, Canons, etc...I format only in-camera.  Used to sometimes use "sd formatter" on my PC but see little point really.  Sometimes i delete single or several frames.  I leave the same card in camera; never had a dud.

All in all never a problem.  Partly because I've always used SanDisk cards...i think the most reliable and consistent card available.

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Best SD Card <merged>