Digilux 3 battery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a battery for a Digilux 3. I can't seem to find one. Would anyone know of a place in the U.S. that might have one

I have this list of compatible model numbers, often leading to questionable websites

Leica
BP-DC1, BP-DC3, BP-DC3 E, BP-DC3 J, BP-DC3 U
Panasonic
CGR-S602, CGR-S602A, CGR-S602A/1B, CGR-S602E/1B, CGR-S602SE, CGR-S603A/1B, DMW-BL14

Hi I have been searching too and no luck

Here is the response from Leica

In doing my own research online I have also just found that the availability of after-market battery solutions has apparently ceased.  There used to be up to about half a dozen brand names associated with a replacement battery and now it appears production has stopped on all.  Regrettably Leica Germany could not justify new production runs from their battery partner based on the estimated low volume needed, and after-market providers have seemed to find that manufacturing costs are not met by the current demand.  

Leica was able to provide replacement batteries for more than ten years after the release of the Digilux 3 model.  I don’t believe that’s typical for the heavily electronics dependent digital cameras with their mostly customer driven short life spans and reliance on worldwide sources for components, etc.  It’s not quite the same as the days of the mostly mechanical film camera models.  I’m sorry that this has put us in the position of letting you down with respect to continued support of your Leica Digilux camera.

BTW- it may be possible to trade the camera in to Leica against a discounted price on a new camera model.  For more information contact Leica Customer Care via repair@leicacamerausa.com

Best regards,
Mark Brady

Technical Advisor

Leica Camera Inc
1 Pearl Court, Unit A / Allendale, NJ 07401 / USA 

This is a real bummer. I use a back-up battery with the same specs as the original that you might add to your search list:

Hahnel

HL-603/602 Panasonic Type,  HL-DC3/LC1 Leica Type.      7.2V  1500mAh

My source, Central Camera in Chicago, was looted and burned a few weeks ago. While they don't have an on-line presence and they're in disarray right now,  you might contact Don by email and if anyone can help, he can. The only other Leica savvy store in Chicago would be Tamarkin.

Best of Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Nelly, I received the exact same message from this guy Brady. It's a canned grinf____ message. Leica has no intent to support their older products. It's a shame. I had intended to give my Digilux 1 to my granddaughter as her first real camera. It takes wonderful pictures, is incredibly robust, and has so many degrees of freedom of operation that it would have been a great learning camera. I'm guessing the trade in offer is for $50 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I found Digilux 3 batteries at Allen's Camera in Utah.

Brand new Pro-Master, though a mix of old and new packaging. I ordered three CGR-S602.

I also directly contacted Wasabi, they said they had not sold on for a year prior to last remaining purchase a month ago.

When searching the internet these are some of the compatible battery models

B&H tired to sell me CGR-S006 which is not compatible, though it has a similar plug it is shorter in length.

Panasonic CGR-S602A    CGR-S602A/1B    CGR-S602E/1B    CGR-S602SE    CGR-S603    DMW-BL14

Leica    BP-DC1    BP-DC3    BP-DC3-U    BP-DC3-E    BP-DC1-U    BP-DC1-E

Lenmar   DLP602

Wasabi, Watson also made compatible batteries

Edited by kodachrome
I wasn't finished typing

• 4 months later...

I've also been looking for a spare battery for my Digilux 2, particularly as they seem increasingly hard to find. I did find what I hope will be the correct one from a supplier in France.

The terminals (viewed from the contact end, with the label upper as in the photo), are '-', 'D', 'T', '+'. '

My two Leica batteries are 1400mAh, a non-Leica battery is 1500mAh and this new one is 1700mAh. All are 7.2v.

I'm hoping my new battery will be safe to use - given the non-availability of parts (leaving aside the cost of any repair even if one were possible) I certainly don't want to risk damage to the electronics. 

Any comments/help gratefully received!

Thanks.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 months later...

The photo of the battery does list being a replacement for three of the models I listed, which seems the most comprehensive list out there for the battery models for what is essentially the same battery. 

Unfortunately Panasonic shorted the height of batteries with that same connector for later models, which are much easier to get a hold of.

In that email chain with Wasabi, production had stopped for sometime, about 10 years after the last device that used those battery models.

(so far all three batteries are working well in my Digilux 3)

• 10 months later...

Has anyone here tried using the shorter height panasonic battery with the same connector, by putting some sort of padding behind it? What is the part number of that battery? Might be worth a try. 

Frustrating problem, unfortunately I sold my digilux 1 along with a nos Duracell and then my panasonic LC5 (same camera) battery went bad and I have been looking ever since.