M6 Classic Framelines Not Changing?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi all. recently acquired an 1995 M6 Classic but frame lines don't seem to change w/ different lenses.

Pretty sure I have a 0.72 viewfinder and with a 35mm lens the brighter frame lines are at the border of the viewfinder, which seem correct... but when i change to a 50mm lens, the same frame lines stay bright. Moving the frame line preview lever does nothing either?  Also, is that lever supposed to stay in centre default, and then spring inward & outward to preview... or supposed to be able to switch b/t inward, centre & outward?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Usually the frame line lever is movable by hand easily left and right from its central position, with and without lens attached, showing the three different pairs of frame lines. Seems, in your case there is a mechanical issue, something stuck in the rangefinder optical system (shock?) or so. Difficult to give any advice without having the camera at hand, probably a case for the Leica or other professional service.

2 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

Usually the frame line lever is movable by hand easily left and right from its central position, with and without lens attached, showing the three different pairs of frame lines. Seems, in your case there is a mechanical issue, something stuck in the rangefinder optical system (shock?) or so. Difficult to give any advice without having the camera at hand, probably a case for the Leica or other professional service.

thanks for your reply @AndreasG.. it's definitely looking like a repair is required :(

My M6 TTL  frame selector, manually or inserting lens!

It reqd. a Leica Technician for that. My M3 and M2 never ever had this problem..

My M6 TTL frame counter never works properly due to a "plastic" spring!

I bought an M8 with a 40mm CV on it, the seller said it was the only lens that he had on the camera. The frame lever was stiff, but it has worked itself out in a year. Nobody except Leica will open an M8 and I didn't want to send it in, too many stories, the camera works well except for the framing but now that is OK.