111f's

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All, my CLA'd  111f's will be arriving shortly, I'm hoping to use one for B&W and the other for Color,, This is just going to be a fun exercise, which films would you suggest? (It must be 20years since I used my film cameras, R6.2 & M6) - L

Edited by lykaman
Spelling

Everyone has their own favourites. I like Superia 400 for general purpose colour, Ektar for fine grain, Portra for people. For B&W, HP5. I'd suggest trimming the film leader to the profile on p29 of the manual to avoid jamming the mechanism, taking care to cut between, not through, the sprocket holes. Scissors are fine.

https://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leica_if_iif_iiif.pdf

Edited by Anbaric
  • Thanks 1

One of the enjoyable things about using the LTM cameras is learning to do without automation, including exposure automation. And doing so is simplified if all the film stocks you use can be exposed at the same Exposure Index.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug A said:

One of the enjoyable things about using the LTM cameras is learning to do without automation, including exposure automation. And doing so is simplified if all the film stocks you use can be exposed at the same Exposure Index.

I'm looking forward to returning to the ultimate Leica experience,,  L

My favourites are both Kodak, 100 or 400 Tmax for B+W and Portra 160 for colour. With modern emulsions it can be difficult to use wide open apertures on fast lenses in daylight with a max speed of 1/1,000th and even more so with models with a max speed of 1/500th. With LTM models, I generally shoot at f6.3/f8/f9 and change the speed for varying light. I am doing a Zoom presentation in August for the LHSA on 'Choosing and Using Old Leicas'. It will cover film choice and handling as well as exposure issues. I hope that some readers here can join in on that presentation. Details will be posted in plenty of time. 

William

I’ll buck the trend and suggest an ISO 25 film for your BW.  I’ve had great luck with these slower films, especially Awesome was Kodak 2238 Shot in my Leica Null.  These slow films let you use the optimum aperature of 5.6 to 8.   Tri X  sticks you with f16.....not your “bokeh” aperature!    PS, you should shoot a bit of Ektachrome.  Leicas of that era consumed Vast quantities of slide film!

Edited by Ambro51

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, slower speed film gives a more contemporary feeling to using an old Leica. You use the exposures you might have in the old days such as 20th at f4.5

I have just loaded Ilford Pan F in a Leica 11. At 50 ISO/ASA it would have been a relatively fast film in the 1930's, but the quality of the film is much better.

Are you processing either yourself or sending the films off?

It may be easier to use a C41 B&W film if you are sending them off for developing or if you have a 1 hour lab nearby. Then again you can get great B&W results form colour film, converting in PS. 

Personally I would buy a bunch of different films to try out and see what you prefer when you get the results.

IIIf would be 1950s, and film speeds of 32-125 would have been common. For B&W Ilford PanF is ideal - my favorite film. I agree Ektachrome 100 would be good for color, as slides were so popular in the '50s. I still like to pull out a projector and screen... now that Ektachrome is back.