Keeping My M-E. Sorry, CL.

strangeboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My beloved M-E is currently in the hospital in Allendale, NJ, for a corroded sensor replacement.
The cost of this, as most of you know, is $1,595 + shipping.

I also had the option to upgrade to the CL (body only) for the same price. The CL offers a host of technological upgrades, better low-light performance, blah, blah, blah. And in full disclosure: I told myself this was the right move to make... that lasted for about an hour.

The thought of being without this instrument which feels so pure and so aligned with my film photography actually made me nauseous.
I passed on the CL.

Here's a pic of "my precious" mounted with the beautiful Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Canon Seranar).
Carry on.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Right thing. CL has no RF at all. I used later 50 1.8 on my M-E and colours very pleasant and not very usual ones.

Missing Chicago, BTW.

With M-E in 2019.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 4

If you like the rangefinder experience and the feel of an M it's hard to beat.  Having recently lost my M10 and 50 Summilux after a river incident, I knew it would take a while for the insurance to get it sorted and having a CL and SL thought I'd be fine.  I wasn't and quickly ended up buying a well used 240 from a friend, daft as it sounds, I felt complete again🙃.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From a long term perspective of trading my M9 with sensor corrosion for an SL you have made the right choice. The other Leica cameras have by design more features, more capability, more menus, more electronics, more options, more time spent fiddling with the camera. The M is a relief and it’s nice to return to simple. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, strangeboy said:

...Here's a pic of "my precious" mounted with the beautiful Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Canon Seranar)...

Very nice combination! Recently I have been using my '53 example of the same lens and love it's rendering on the M9M.

Hope you get it back soon!

P.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perfectly understandable sentimental move. 

Leaving the good old friend is indeed very hard, but my experience of trade-up my M9P is a difference. I chose SL and I am extremely happy about the decision. The availability of SL AF and zoom lenses opens a brave new world that M is blocked out. The What you see is what you get EVF is a plus that I used to wave off. 

But M is still undepartable. I then also get a CL. It is the M-like mini-SL. 

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

Perfectly understandable sentimental move. 

Leaving the good old friend is indeed very hard, but my experience of trade-up my M9P is a difference. I chose SL and I am extremely happy about the decision. The availability of SL AF and zoom lenses opens a brave new world that M is blocked out. The What you see is what you get EVF is a plus that I used to wave off. 

But M is still undepartable. I then also get a CL. It is the M-like mini-SL. 

I guess it's all about the way we arrive at our compositions...

• I haven't owned an auto-focus lens since 2016.
  • To me, nothing feels like a rangefinder.
  • I only shoot primes.

The only other system I shoot is Pentax, because of their relatively easy to find store of phenomenal classic glass.
Coincidentally... one of my favorite film cameras is the Pentax ME-Super. 

My next Leica will be a Monochrom. 
Until then, I'm rockin' this M-E.

Now, I have an announcement :)
I received an email from Leica this morning:

Dear Leica Customer,

We are happy to inform you that your Leica product is on its way back to
you. You can expect to receive your shipment within a few days.

We appreciate your patience during this process as we carefully
evaluated your equipment to meet the highest standards in the industry.

Weeeeee!

12 hours ago, strangeboy said:

My beloved M-E is currently in the hospital in Allendale, NJ, for a corroded sensor replacement.
The cost of this, as most of you know, is $1,595 + shipping.

I also had the option to upgrade to the CL (body only) for the same price. The CL offers a host of technological upgrades, better low-light performance, blah, blah, blah. And in full disclosure: I told myself this was the right move to make... that lasted for about an hour.

The thought of being without this instrument which feels so pure and so aligned with my film photography actually made me nauseous.
I passed on the CL.

Here's a pic of "my precious" mounted with the beautiful Canon 50mm f/1.8 (Canon Seranar).
Carry on.

I kept my M9 and bought a CL, problem solved...

3 hours ago, strangeboy said:

I guess it's all about the way we arrive at our compositions...

• I haven't owned an auto-focus lens since 2016.
  • To me, nothing feels like a rangefinder.
  • I only shoot primes.

I admire people who can use a single prime lens to get marvelous shots. I can't. I need either multiple primes or a zoom. The fast large aperture Leica M lenses are essentially irreplaceable,  but getting dirts into the camera is intolerable too. To me Leica Zooms are good enough. Owning both M and CL o SL indeed is a solution. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I admire people who can use a single prime lens to get marvelous shots. I can't. I need either multiple primes or a zoom. The fast large aperture Leica M lenses are essentially irreplaceable,  but getting dirts into the camera is intolerable too. To me Leica Zooms are good enough. Owning both M and CL o SL indeed is a solution. 

I believe the most important thing is to know what works for us.

There was a time, shortly after began shooting digital, that I owned zooms and such. I just got tired of it. I decided that I couldn't eat the elephant all at once. I couldn't worry about the "what if..?". I paint with the brush (lens and focal length) that's on the camera. I make those photographs and that's that. There's a certain freedom in this for me.

• Like 1

Well...
My M-E returned home yesterday - 6/26.
They received it on the 9th.

Considering that fact the Allendale facility only partially reopened a couple of weeks ago, due to Covid19 restrictions, and that my terribly cool customer service representative, Kathy Carbone, was working from home... I'd say this was an excellent turn-around time.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Update: it's been about a week now, and I have to say: the camera really does feel new. For anyone still on the fence about replacing the sensor, which includes a complete CLA, I highly recommended it. Now, I'm sure some of this newness I'm experiencing is purely psychological, but as Maria sang in West Side Story "I feel pretty..."

Carry on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 3:24 PM, strangeboy said:

Update: it's been about a week now, and I have to say: the camera really does feel new. For anyone still on the fence about replacing the sensor, which includes a complete CLA, I highly recommended it. Now, I'm sure some of this newness I'm experiencing is purely psychological, but as Maria sang in West Side Story "I feel pretty..."

Carry on.

I think that song was also sung in 'Anger Management' -- same song different feel

• 2 years later...
On 6/28/2020 at 12:11 AM, strangeboy said:

Well...
My M-E returned home yesterday - 6/26.
They received it on the 9th.

Considering that fact the Allendale facility only partially reopened a couple of weeks ago, due to Covid19 restrictions, and that my terribly cool customer service representative, Kathy Carbone, was working from home... I'd say this was an excellent turn-around time.

http://nappycafe.com/leica/ME-post-repair.jpg

I love Kathy!  

• Like 1