Portrait B&W

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/26/2020 at 10:19 PM, fotografr said:

I love everything about it with the exception of the shadow. It just pulls too much attention away from your subject. The pole is no big deal and I like the off center framing. I also really like the straight at the camera approach.

Couldn't save the shadow. 😂😂. I tried a couple of methods in LR and Viveza with no luck. I made quite a few rookie mistakes (I am one) like the dreaded hair in the mouth! Whoops!.😂😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

Couldn't save the shadow. 😂😂. I tried a couple of methods in LR and Viveza with no luck. I made quite a few rookie mistakes (I am one) like the dreaded hair in the mouth! Whoops!.😂😂

Hair in the mouth? What hair???

Lovely portrait. As far as the shadow goes, I've always maintained that the best way to learn is from your mistakes. We all make them. I bet it never happens to you again.

Cheers,

Brent

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Hair in the mouth? What hair???

Lovely portrait. As far as the shadow goes, I've always maintained that the best way to learn is from your mistakes. We all make them. I bet it never happens to you again.

Cheers,

Brent

What did you use to get rid of the hair!?!? Looks much much better now. And yes you are right that I will be much more cognizant of the harsh shadow for sure.

21 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

What did you use to get rid of the hair!?!? Looks much much better now. And yes you are right that I will be much more cognizant of the harsh shadow for sure.

It was literally a 10 second operation with the spot healing brush in Photoshop CC.

7 minutes ago, fotografr said:

It was literally a 10 second operation with the spot healing brush in Photoshop CC.

I will see if LR has spot healing. I don't want to get involved with PS CC. :  )-

Most of my editing is very quick as well but I haven't messed around with spot healing. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Comparing these two beautiful portraits I would absolutely prefer number 1. Number 2 is also a good portrait, perfectly done and a beautiful model with a good eye contact to the viewer. But number 1 is more unorthodox, I like the shadow on her, the framing and her position out of the centerline. Her view is strong and a bit insurgent. To me there is more to discover in this photo

Edited by benqui
  • Thanks 1

Guest BlackBarn

Accepting its all about how we see differently.....

For my eyes. Portrait No.1 ...first impressions.  I would have explored reducing the sky above the head by around a third. If the shadow is intended to add mystery that is slightly lost as it appears to have the profile of a photographer taking a photo, so slightly distracting. I question the dominant  hair mass on the bottom left. The pole I like. The tonal variances appear  flat....I would have played around with the contrast of the background.

However....the more I look at it the more I like it as is which is good as it’s made me question my own biases....so thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone that liked and commented. It is much appreciated and helps me grow as a photographer because I am genuinely taking in the comments to decide how I can or cannot make the tips work for me. It is making me think differently which is what I am looking for. Thank you!